Author Topic: Paint  (Read 1016 times)

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
Paint
« on: September 06, 2022, 07:22:55 PM »
I would think you all know Latex paint dries far faster than oil based paint. Right?

In about an hour Latex is dry to the touch and you can top coat it in about 4 hours. Oil base is a lot longer; 6-8 hours for dry to the touch and 24 hours before you should top coat it. Latex cleans up a LOT easier too.

Seems simple, right? But WAIT!

High humidity will delay drying time in both types of paint. Temperature is a big factor too. House painting with latex is a Fall job; you want temps in the 55-60F range for best results and longevity. In the summer, oil base is better for hot weather; it's good from 40 to 90F.

Remember too that a primer coat is your friend. Primer will stick better to whatever you paint so the paint job should last longer.

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline -gg-

• Silver Member
      • IceCreamOnMars
Re: Paint
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2022, 07:28:35 PM »
Do you have any videos of both types of paint as they dry?
Icecreamonmars.com. ICOM for short.

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2022, 07:28:51 PM »
Fascinating info.  :aok

Coogan
From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:
AHIII: Coogan
RDR2: Coogan_Bear
MSFS-2020: Coogan Bear

Offline knorB

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2022, 07:34:58 PM »
Top notch!  Now how about the addition of a fan at various speeds?  How does that affect if at all?

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2022, 07:39:08 PM »
Heated air versus cool air for drying time reduction, in a power point presentation with graphs and a pie chart
See Rule 19- Do not place sausage on pizza.
I am No-Sausage-On-Pizza-Wad.
Das Funkillah - I kill hangers, therefore I am a funkiller. Coming to a vulchfest near you.
You cant tie a loop around 400000 lbs of locomotive using a 2 foot rope - Drediock on fat women

Offline -gg-

• Silver Member
      • IceCreamOnMars
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2022, 07:45:11 PM »
Do any of these paint manufacturers have any sort of a hotline that you can call and ask them about the drying process?

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2022, 07:50:32 PM »
 only way to be sure if it's wet or dry is to gently touch it with your finger. as you get more experience   you will know without having to touch.

semp

you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2022, 08:00:17 PM »
Do any of these paint manufacturers have any sort of a hotline that you can call and ask them about the drying process?

I am pretty much a Sherwin-Williams guy. I've had great, long lasting results with their interior and exterior paints. I do buy paint towards the top of their lines. Not the most expensive but usually they come in 2nd or 3rd in cost.

As to your question: Of Course!

Ask Sherwin-Williams
Give us a call and get quick answers and information.

Mon-Fri: 8:00 AM - 6:30 PM EST
Sat-Sun: 9:30 AM - 3:30 PM EST

Monday To Friday 8:00 AM To 6:30 PM EST Saturday to Sunday 9:30 AM To 3:30 PM EST
1-800-474-3794
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2022, 08:21:25 PM »
I looked around a sherwin Williams before. They wanted $70 for a gallon paint. Ill stick with the $25/gallon stuff
Das Funkillah - I kill hangers, therefore I am a funkiller. Coming to a vulchfest near you.
You cant tie a loop around 400000 lbs of locomotive using a 2 foot rope - Drediock on fat women

Offline -gg-

• Silver Member
      • IceCreamOnMars
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2022, 08:22:20 PM »
Meatwad, when you do that you are taking a huge risk. You have no idea how long the paint may take to dry.

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2022, 08:26:06 PM »
I wish I could find oil-based paints.  They last forever.  But no one around here sells them.

- oldman

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2022, 08:28:28 PM »
There was an AWESOME Green Acres episode about painting this farm house---it kept sucking up all the paint Mr Hainey sold them
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2022, 08:30:09 PM »
I have ancient chinese secret on painting, make super fast chop chop.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2022, 08:31:32 PM »
SW runs good sales. When you know you're going to need paint, start watching the sales. I've bought good paint 40% off list at times.

Cheap paint is just that. You get what you pay for. If you're selling, use cheap paint and get it on the market quick.

Painting the house you're going to be in for a decade....go for the good stuff. It doesn't cost, it pays.

Offline sparky127

• Nickel Member
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2022, 08:34:20 PM »
It's a little known fact that paint drying is only half of the story...  It must also cure.  Drying occurs when water and chemicals in the paint evaporate.  The remaining elements of the paint can then bond together and "cure".

It's a fascinating process.