Author Topic: Track IR thingies - state of the art?  (Read 1691 times)

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
Re: Track IR thingies - state of the art?
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2022, 12:15:08 PM »
 :aok

:salute

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2022, 01:42:15 PM »
Just the opposite of my experience.  I've tried TIR many times and always die like a newb.  My problem is that with TIR I am less able to sense the attitude of the airplane, and the canopy frame is more of a hindrance than when using hat switch views.

Maybe 30 years of using one view system is too much to unlearn.   :old:

Actually the way HT implemented it, I still use hat views when using vr as I did before that when I used trackir

The combo of both is unique to AH I believe

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2022, 02:22:54 PM »
There is also Tobi Eye Tracker.
https://gaming.tobii.com/product/eye-tracker-5/
I don't have any personal experience with it, other than seeing it used on Growling Sidewinder's channel.

:cheers:
444th Air Mafia since Air Warrior
Proudly flying with VF-17

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2022, 04:53:09 PM »
Training clears up motion sickness. The more you do it the less it effects you. They say having a fan blowing on your face helps, but I never tried it as I didn't have it that bad.

When I first started 15 minutes was the longest I could go. Now I can play for hours and hours and it doesn't bother me.

It was backwards for me.  I could play for hours then one fine day I was on an event and after 4 hours I started getting a bad headache and nausea.  Afterwards the best I could do was 15 minutes without starting over again.  I'm hoping that Oculus clears that up for me. 
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2022, 06:38:24 PM »
Thank you for all the advise. Wasn't there a form of this system which only used a webcam without a headset using facial tracking? I can't remember the name. Anyone had any experience?

Search for tracknoir or facetracknoir.

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2022, 08:07:42 PM »
Keep in mind any of these tracker devices or softwares will require a bit of setup, trial and error. None of them are plug and play really. You're gonna have to adjust and tweak the curves to suit you. Takes a while getting it right.

VR is straight 1:1 and can be a literal pain in the neck looking behind you in a games like flight sims. There's a guy that has a program that largely fixes that in IL2 and DCS. Adjusts tracking in VR to be just like TIR. Be great if it could be adapted to AH.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2022, 12:43:15 PM »
I use a ps3 webcam with opentrack, works, is cheap, and can be tweaked easily.  Still would rather play AH with the old HAT switch combos though.  Then again that was to stay alive in multi con furballs I guess there is no need for that anymore.    :ahand
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2022, 01:58:12 PM »
Keep in mind any of these tracker devices or softwares will require a bit of setup, trial and error. None of them are plug and play really. You're gonna have to adjust and tweak the curves to suit you. Takes a while getting it right.

VR is straight 1:1 and can be a literal pain in the neck looking behind you in a games like flight sims. There's a guy that has a program that largely fixes that in IL2 and DCS. Adjusts tracking in VR to be just like TIR. Be great if it could be adapted to AH.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Not needed in AH as you use the 6 hat view with VR for a much better experience

My 63 year old neck can't take twisting 180 as often as needed in a2a

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2022, 02:38:21 PM »
My 63 year old neck can't take twisting 180 as often as needed in a2a

I don't think a 19-year old nymphomaniac contortionists neck can do the full 180 Eagler  :rofl

Wot ho Bruve. I tried the DCS Mosquito. I liked it.
"Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened" - Dr. Seuss

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2022, 12:21:27 PM »
Well I first bought a trackIR when Lusche swore by one and told me in time I'd get used to it and couldn't be without it. And he ended up being right. Now? I couldn't possibly play a TrackIR supported game without it and dont much like games that dont have it.

I understand there are different options now but Im to used to track IR to change up.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2022, 10:05:45 PM »
I don't think a 19-year old nymphomaniac contortionists neck can do the full 180 Eagler  :rofl

Wot ho Bruve. I tried the DCS Mosquito. I liked it.

It is some module. 

I did get up to speed with it when it came out, but much like other DCS modules knowledge is soon lost if not used frequently.   It is now thankfully included in the most populated WW2 server. 

The last time I entered one, the mission was night time and not one to back down from a challenge I used the torch function to get all the cockpit lights on and UV stuff all blue and pretty.   Taxiing in pitch black isn't fun and the take off roll did not go well and the poor airframe ended up in the side of a hangar  :ahand   Needed a change of underwear for that and how they pulled that everynight on Mossie intruder missions for real, I tip my hat to them.  Bold as brass.    :salute :salute :salute.

The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2022, 02:43:27 PM »
It is some module. 

I ran through some of the trials and it was the only one I liked the handling of, although it took some time to figure out the importance of stick scaling to get the axis to match in feel. Tried the K-4 first. Didn't mind the Mirage but Danny said it was French with the same tone as a bad word. Couldn't ever get the guns to fire on that one anyway.

Haven't gone on multiplayer yet. Wandered back into AH momentarily instead.

The last time I entered one, the mission was night time and not one to back down from a challenge I used the torch function to get all the cockpit lights on and UV stuff all blue and pretty.   Taxiing in pitch black isn't fun and the take off roll did not go well and the poor airframe ended up in the side of a hangar  :ahand   Needed a change of underwear for that and how they pulled that everynight on Mossie intruder missions for real, I tip my hat to them.  Bold as brass.    :salute :salute :salute.

Apparently there was a short period after take off where - if an engine failed - it was a certain crash. And that usually with ord aboard. In a wooden plane with weepy fuel tanks. Balls of steel.

Got any YouTube vids of Multiplayer? Kazaa over there?
"Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened" - Dr. Seuss

Offline CAV

• Nickel Member
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2022, 07:10:29 PM »

a little help with opentrack. I can not get to do anything in AH. At one I used Trackir 5 and it work well in Ah......... but I can't recall what we had to do in AH to make it work???

CAV
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG301