Author Topic: Virpil vs Warthog  (Read 1077 times)

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
Virpil vs Warthog
« on: August 14, 2022, 03:20:03 PM »
guys that have used both what can you tell me about the differences?  I had $700 in my budget for the Warthog stick, throttle, pedals.  Virpil is $1000 plus but not out of the budget. 

What think you guys?  It it worth the difference in cost? 
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline Bixby

• Copper Member
Re: Virpil vs Warthog
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2022, 03:53:25 PM »
I never had the Warthog or Virpil. With that said,...check into VKB stick and rudder. I highly recommend them. Their rudder does not have toe brakes but you can assign buttons for that.

Offline SNO

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2022, 04:13:14 PM »
I have virpril stick and rudders with an old ch throttle, if you have a throttle then get the Virpril stick and pedals and save up for the throttle later, you won’t regret it.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2022, 04:16:52 PM by SNO »
☩Schnee☩
Jagdgeschwader 11

Das-Beste-kommt-erst-noch

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2022, 04:57:04 PM »
Warthog jstick, tm1600 throttle and ch pedals works for me

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2022, 09:27:38 AM »
I was  never real happy with the Warthog stick, I had a lot of issues with it. The Warthog throttle isn't bad, though I did replace mine with a Virpil throttle. I keep the Warthog throttle as a backup, the stick is in the junk pile.

I have one of the first Mongoos T-50 bases, that I replaced the Warthog stick with. Night and day difference between the two. You can adjust the feel of the Virpil stick, with springs and cams. Virpil recommends the Mongoos base if you plan on using a stick extension, and the Warbrd base if you don't. Although that's not a hard and fast rule. I have a squadie that uses the Mongoos base without an extension. The Mongoos base is also not made for table top use, it needs to be mounted, and because of the overall height of the base, and grip it needs to be mounted rather low. Nothing wrong with the Warbrd base, same sort of build quality as the Mongoos, it's shorter, has a bit more throw, and is a little cheaper.

Another option, as Bixby has already mentioned, is the VKB Gunfighter, I don't have one, but I would like to try one out. I have another squadie that does, and he likes it, as does everyone I've talked to that has one. VKB doesn't have a throttle in the Gunfighter series, they keep saying they're going to release one but so far nothing.

:salute
444th Air Mafia since Air Warrior
Proudly flying with VF-17

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline edge12674

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2022, 12:34:40 PM »
I was a Thrustmaster customer for over twenty years, owning all their HOTAS as they developed.  At the time it was the only "highend" available.  I found that Thrustmaster equipment required routine repair and at least bi-annual maintenance.  Over the years, the customer service kept going downhill and got to the point they refused to sell replacement parts.  Thrustmaster is VERY slow to make design changes to fix known problems, relying on customers to fix the issues.  Look up "Warthog stiction".

I went to Virpil for joystick base, grip, and throttle, in 2015 and found it a night and day difference.  Better feel, better construction, and better customer service.  I have yet to have any problem with the equipment or found it necessary to do any maintenance.

Thrustmaster was first on scene in the US for HOTAS and enjoys higher publicity, but their products are inferior to the newer "highend" HOTAS companies (Virpil, WinWing, VBK).  You get what you pay for.

Hope this helps 

TShark
"If you are alone and meet a lone Zero, run like hell...You're outnumbered" - Joe Foss USMC 26 kills

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2022, 07:07:03 PM »
I was a Thrustmaster customer for over twenty years, owning all their HOTAS as they developed.  At the time it was the only "highend" available.  I found that Thrustmaster equipment required routine repair and at least bi-annual maintenance.  Over the years, the customer service kept going downhill and got to the point they refused to sell replacement parts.  Thrustmaster is VERY slow to make design changes to fix known problems, relying on customers to fix the issues.  Look up "Warthog stiction".

I went to Virpil for joystick base, grip, and throttle, in 2015 and found it a night and day difference.  Better feel, better construction, and better customer service.  I have yet to have any problem with the equipment or found it necessary to do any maintenance.

Thrustmaster was first on scene in the US for HOTAS and enjoys higher publicity, but their products are inferior to the newer "highend" HOTAS companies (Virpil, WinWing, VBK).  You get what you pay for.

Hope this helps

It really does Edge.  I'm about 3 weeks away from my new PC and then another 4 before I get my total HOTAS system.  I'm going to look at and talk to WinWing and VBK and see what they have and what the cost is. 

The good news is I got a couple of consignment orders this weekend that should cover all the costs within 2 months.  A little late due to some production delays but I get more excited every day.  Already told my boss that when I get all my stuff in expect a 4 day weekend out of me.  LOL

Oh and yall can expect a bunch of pleas for help and advice :D 
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline Bixby

• Copper Member
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2022, 07:53:26 PM »
Before you spend your money, seriously look at the VKB Gunfighter.  Ask Drano...he is well versed in all things VKB.

Gunfighter is the best. Anyone who disagrees with that statement has not used  it!

Offline Bixby

• Copper Member
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2022, 08:08:28 PM »
And for the throttle...I am using a thrustmaster TWCS (I think that is the name) and it works well. Lots of buttons and very accurate. Not expensive and very good overall.. Many AH players are using it and seem to like it.  I like mine and will use it until something better comes along in the future.

Offline Mayhem

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.damned.org
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2022, 06:55:03 AM »
If you can't afford Virpil I would take a look at Winwing.
"Destination anywhere! So Far Gone, I'm almost There."
The Damned! (Est. 1988) Damned if we do - No fun if we don't!
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2022, 06:54:54 PM »
If you can't afford Virpil I would take a look at Winwing.

actually I'm sending them all my specs and seeing what they can come with.. Well excepting CH and Warthog. 

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2022, 01:33:40 PM »
I use the VKB Gunfighter MKIII with the Modern Combat grip, have it center mounted on their desk mount with the 200mm extension. Best sim gear purchase I've made, don't think I'll ever need another. Swapped the springs to the heaviest which i think are 50# and self centering cams.

For the throttle I got a Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM3, between the two i have more buttons than i need and both a very solid.

Offline DaddyAce

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2022, 09:18:31 AM »
+1 for the VKB Gunfighter with Modern Combat Grip.