Author Topic: NEWS - shocking and sad: EVGA is done with nVidia  (Read 1081 times)

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
NEWS - shocking and sad: EVGA is done with nVidia
« on: September 17, 2022, 12:23:11 PM »
Apparently fed up with nVidia's treatment, EVGA intends to stop building graphics cards.  So sad, EVGA was always my first choice for a GPU.

« Last Edit: September 17, 2022, 02:09:55 PM by oboe »

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
Re: NEWS - shocking and sad: EVGA is done with nVidia
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2022, 02:04:47 PM »
An avid gamer I'm not. Aside from AH3 and FS2020, not much else piques my interest. Still, until the GPU price hikes that piggybacked with COVID and supply line interruptions, I've updated my graphics card every 4 years on average. My current build is an EVGA GTX 1660 Ti 8 GB card that pumps out enough horsepower to run the aforementioned games. This will be the last Nvidea card and perhaps my last graphics card altogether. The thought of upgrading to a 3xxx o4 4xxxx series isn't even in the realm of possibility as far as I'm concerned...and probably financially impossible for most folks as well, other than the hardest of the hard core gamers. It's the economy, stupid.

Perhaps Radeon will seize the opportunity to make hay with Nvidea's missteps, and produce cards that don't require a month's mortgage payment. That remains to be seen. 

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2022, 08:45:40 AM »
Wowzer. That's huge.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2022, 10:52:03 AM »
Agreed EVGA is in my books on a higher shelf as a manufacturer than, say, PowerColor or Saplos. But it's not the only reliable brand out there.

@Max, the Manufacturer Suggested Retail Prices don't differ much from those of the previous generations. But there's been quite a bunch of variables that have reduced the supply while increasing the demand. Covid19 is just one of the factors and it worked both ways: The manufacturers of semiconductors and chips suffered from their workers being sick while people working at home wanted better computers and for their increased home time (no traveling to work and back) some other entertainment electronics as well. And while they couldn't travel on holidays they suddenly got money to spend to a new car which includes more semiconductors than a plane! Add to that crypto mining, a couple of factory fires, video streaming, lack of educated labour, energy saving actions in China, lack of sea containers, Ukraine...
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2022, 09:27:45 PM »
I've always used EVGA FTW cards.
Guess I'll give ASUS a shot.

Coogan
From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:
AHIII: Coogan
RDR2: Coogan_Bear
MSFS-2020: Coogan Bear

Offline jigsaw

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2022, 10:04:12 PM »
Always liked them for their support policies.  24/7 phone line. U.S. based support.  Only complaint (if you could even call it that) was they didn't have a will call.  Even thought they're just a few miles away the few times I've had to RMA something I still had to send it UPS.

Think I've been buying their graphics cards since about the 5xx or 6xx generations. for the 3K gen I ended up with a MSI from the newegg lottery, so I guess I'll be going with MSI as it's been a stable card (I don't overclock).

I'll still buy EVGA PSUs though.

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2022, 11:25:59 PM »
I'm hoping they change their minds about exiting the GPU business entirely and instead make an agreement with AMD to develop a line based on AMD's RDNA3 7xxx GPUs.   

Offline Denniss

• Nickel Member

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2022, 05:33:41 PM »
For nVidia cards, I've been happy over the years with MSi, Gigabyte, and Zotac.

I haven't bought EVGA cards in a long time.  About 15 or even 20 years ago, I got two in a row with inept packaging so that they were damaged in shipping (snapped off capacitors on card).  So I went to those other brands instead and have been happy enough to continue with them.

Offline save

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2022, 06:31:20 PM »
I've always been happy with MSI, mostly due to the fact they have very good cooling on their hardware, specially on their more expensive series.
Having said that, competition is good for the customers, and EVGA has always been producing good products.
My ammo last for 6 Lancasters, or one Yak3.
"And the Yak 3 ,aka the "flying Yamato"..."
-Caldera

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2022, 10:55:19 AM »
I've basically have always used either ASUS,  XFX, or Sapphire GPUs ...have never had any problems or any of them go bad...( Radeon/AMD based)

Also have or did have some EVGA Nvidia based GPUs... none of them had any problems either
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2022, 05:00:11 PM »
Ah, yes -- XFX.  I've used them, too, in addition to MSi and Gigabyte, and liked all of those for nVidia cards.