Author Topic: setting up later today  (Read 1842 times)

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
setting up later today
« on: September 18, 2022, 12:18:13 PM »
HOTAS should be here next week so I watched this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fs6b1HM_Y_k  something I'm a little fuzzy on.  Do I need to set up AH on the pc or download it to the headset?
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
Re: setting up later today
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2022, 12:50:40 PM »
You set it up on the PC.

The PC runs the game, the Oculus is used as a display (even though the Oculus is capable of storing and running apps - in this case it's just used as a display.)   Do you have a Link cable?

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2022, 12:56:31 PM »
yes sir.. 15'.  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09TN25765/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 

Getting set up to play again isn't something I've scrimped on. 

So once I use the link cable and get into AH it's fairly basic after that? Just do some muddling around and get set up?
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2022, 01:16:59 PM »
Pretty much. Install the Oculus software and get the headset set up initially. Get that straightened out first. Once you get AH installed, when you want to run it in VR you have to use the DX11 exe--the DX9 version won't run VR. Put a shortcut for that on your desktop. Have the Oculus software running and minimized first. Run AH. AH is aware you have a headset plugged in. You'll see a dialog box on the desktop asking if you want to use your Oculus headset, click yes to run it in VR, no to run it on the desktop. AH well start in the headset. You're off to setting up the rest in the game. First thing I did was to disable the Oculus touch controllers.

One thing. When you start AH your gonna have to answer that dialog box to use the Oculus headset or not on the desktop. You'll be sitting there in the headset and nothing will happen til you do that.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2022, 01:25:18 PM »
ya I've got the mirroring software set up so I'll do as much as I can on the PC.  Okay I think I'm ready to go. 

Thanks Gents. 

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2022, 01:46:19 PM »
Real happy to see getting back in the air, Dichotomy.  Enjoy yourself!

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2022, 02:02:22 PM »
I am stoked.  Downloading the oculus sw now.  Had to straighten out my gmail account.  LOL

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2022, 03:02:30 PM »
Pretty much. Install the Oculus software and get the headset set up initially. Get that straightened out first. Once you get AH installed, when you want to run it in VR you have to use the DX11 exe--the DX9 version won't run VR. Put a shortcut for that on your desktop. Have the Oculus software running and minimized first. Run AH. AH is aware you have a headset plugged in. You'll see a dialog box on the desktop asking if you want to use your Oculus headset, click yes to run it in VR, no to run it on the desktop. AH well start in the headset. You're off to setting up the rest in the game. First thing I did was to disable the Oculus touch controllers.

One thing. When you start AH your gonna have to answer that dialog box to use the Oculus headset or not on the desktop. You'll be sitting there in the headset and nothing will happen til you do that.

dx11?

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2022, 03:37:47 PM »
disregard.. it is DX11. 

I got on the runway and my mouse suddenly wouldn't work and I couldn't use my handsets to click the checkboxes but I have a week to fool with that.  Probably some kind of silly conflict.  That's enough of that for the day

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2022, 04:17:05 PM »
Welcome back!  VR is going to water your eyes.

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2022, 04:47:26 PM »
ya I can already tell I'm going to have to pony up for some prescription lenses but that's fine. 

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2022, 07:59:58 PM »
Look into Reloptix lenses. I just got them for my G2. They're perfect even with my extreme scrip and they were half the price of the ones I had for the RiftS. Blue block and anti-reflective coatings included.

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2022, 08:52:09 AM »
Look into Reloptix lenses. I just got them for my G2. They're perfect even with my extreme scrip and they were half the price of the ones I had for the RiftS. Blue block and anti-reflective coatings included.

Do you use the prescription for long distance, or for reading?

- oldman

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2022, 09:13:05 AM »

Do you use the prescription for long distance, or for reading?

- oldman

The prescription lenses you use for VR are NOT reading glasses. They're your actual prescription. In fact, if you wear progressives or regular bifocals they'll tell you to leave that part of the scrip off the order. My scrip is pretty extreme. IIRC one eye is like a -10. Don't let these contacts fool you--I'm blind as a bat! And at nearly 60--readers have been a neccessity for quite a while! I have them all around the house and in my desk at work. Heck I even have safety glasses with cheaters in them!

I found that there were only a couple of these companies that will make the extreme scrips, Reloptix was one. They were a special order and took longer to get but were no more expensive than their regular lenses and those were roughly half what I'd have paid using the company I used for my RiftS lenses, VROpticians. Cool thing about the Reloptix system is you get an adapter for your specific headset. Pops on the headset lense. Your prescription lense attaches to it magnetically. So they're really easy to swap in and out if you share the headset with someone else. They can just get another pair of the lenses without the adapter. Thought that was a pretty cool feature. I'm really happy with mine.
"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2022, 09:13:55 AM »
Atm I'm only using reading glasses but I can tell my long vision is going