Author Topic: Lag Advantage  (Read 694 times)

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
Lag Advantage
« on: September 20, 2022, 02:57:37 PM »
Today in two counters against a high-scoring opponent I got killed when on my end I was in a safe position. The second event was notably bad. I was out of plane, AoT was good and about a second after the player's 190 passed my wing came off. Apparently this player has a bad connection and can't do anything about that but my ACM is really based on timing and subtle visual cues which don't work at all if the other fellow is actually somewhere else.

Shane explained I had to visualise said aformentioned player in advance of where I'm seeing. What I find annoyng is I have a flat net graph but apprently the other person has an advantage  :headscratch:  Also if I'm not merging with him I'm giving the fight away with a lead turn.

He said in the second fight he had an easy shot implying a 'smooth picture' of where I was while I was mislead. Doubly annoying since he favours front-quarter shots. 

Any advice?

Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Get stuffed Skyyr, you freak" - Zack1234

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
Re: Lag Advantage
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2022, 03:48:59 PM »
I wouldnt call it an advantage so much. He sees what he sees and fights accordingly. You on the other hand seem to be cutting it too close counting on that "timing and subtle visual clues" to get an advantage in the maneuvers.

It is what it is, HTC has done a pretty good job of making it fair/even given the time/distance we all MUST deal with.

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2022, 04:11:32 PM »
Had a guy the other day that I'd saddle up and every time i pulled the trigger he warped 400m ahead of where he was. I just avoided engaging him and let someone else deal with it.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2022, 06:28:51 PM »
The bandit always has a better shot than he seems to have. Everyone benefits the same. Warping is a bad connection issue but internet travel time affects everybody with a normal connection. 

We shoot on our PC but we get shot on somebody else's PC. You just have to allow for travel time and go early.

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2022, 08:42:50 PM »
Today in two counters against a high-scoring opponent I got killed when on my end I was in a safe position. The second event was notably bad. I was out of plane, AoT was good and about a second after the player's 190 passed my wing came off. Apparently this player has a bad connection and can't do anything about that but my ACM is really based on timing and subtle visual cues which don't work at all if the other fellow is actually somewhere else.

Shane explained I had to visualise said aformentioned player in advance of where I'm seeing. What I find annoyng is I have a flat net graph but apprently the other person has an advantage  :headscratch:  Also if I'm not merging with him I'm giving the fight away with a lead turn.

He said in the second fight he had an easy shot implying a 'smooth picture' of where I was while I was mislead. Doubly annoying since he favours front-quarter shots. 

Any advice?

If you were fighting Shane, it probably wasn't anything having to do with the internet.  The guy is one of AH's best.

- oldman

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2022, 09:09:01 PM »
Wasn't fighting me - I merely reminded nrshida of the effects of latency and how some can benefit from it in certain conditions, especially when it comes down to finesse timing and mental sight pictures. 

There's a nice, albeit old, writeup that explains these effects sitting in the general forum atm.

https://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,405958.0.html 

Yes, HTC has done an admirable job over the years. However, I think the baseline connect latency has moved downwards, so outliers are becoming more noticeable (imho.)

If you were fighting Shane, it probably wasn't anything having to do with the internet.  The guy is one of AH's best.

- oldman
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2022, 12:38:29 AM »
Come on fellas, give me a little credit. I've obviously leanred my ACM in this environment and have seen warping etc before. This was something else.

Ah yes, I quite see how this works technically now. So in fact trying to accept a 12-12 merge with this player amplifies the lag to result in an advantage on his end. I'm far safer arranging a 6-12 merge in fact.

Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2022, 06:39:44 AM »
If they warp too badly I don't even try to engage

That is very rare these days gladly

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2022, 07:34:01 AM »
From reading again this guy isn’t necessarily wrapping, but just not where he appears to be at all. So he appears my 12 but is actually at my 1-2 and canon rounds appear to be coming out of thin air. I’d say impossible to judge.

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2022, 08:34:54 AM »
From reading again this guy isn’t necessarily wrapping, but just not where he appears to be at all. So he appears my 12 but is actually at my 1-2 and canon rounds appear to be coming out of thin air. I’d say impossible to judge.

:) :rofl
Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2022, 09:01:39 AM »
Next time I see a 190 I'll hit record because this will explain a lot of what I'm see, or most likely not seeing.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2022, 04:16:34 PM »

;) :D