Author Topic: Boomers Deserve Better  (Read 2239 times)

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
Re: Boomers Deserve Better
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2022, 07:00:26 PM »
Baby boomers were the ones drafted to Nam like my uncle and Dad who went to the coast guard but they still tried to draft him in boot camp. Their father served in WW2. I'd say they were still extremely tough and intellegent people since they were a generation whose parents understood machinery and automobiles. Building things with their hands. Those kids were extremely brave after hearing their fathers stories. Many extremely proud strong Americans lost their lives in that war.  I think it was their kids in the 70s and 80s, spoiled on wealth from computer technology, infrastructure, and cheap standards of living in the 80s allowing an explosion of prosperity that made life easier. The drugs also got worse too. The kids who watched their dad's and grandfathers fight wars and live hard lives were tired of it. They became more socially enfluenced. It was their kids who turned out to be real idiots, I've been friends with many of them. I think young men like myself who had Boomer generation parents rather than 70-80s generation parents are far more successful and generally have a more patriotic view of America. Just my opinion. I also tend to think that it's the reason why boomers are attacked. They are more conservative and patriotic like my dad and uncle. I could think of no one the Nazis would hate more than the sons of the men who ruined their global takeover in 1945. You see now they are trying again a different way and they attack us the same way. Isn't it strange how we are only allowed to be patriotic in times of war or during the Olympics? Just saying.

violator don't forget the boomers also spit on soldiers returning from Vietnam.  they were also the hippies and some did a lot of drugs. they avoided the draft and burned the flag

not even gonna mention drugs which were easily available in Vietnam. and some came back messed up to a country that didn't really care. I remember my wife telling me how her father would pick up her mother and slammed her on the floor.

each generation has it's problems and it's judged by an older generation who always starts with we never did that when I was young, but sure as hell I bet somebody did.

100 years ago we had Bonnie and Clyde but it's the dust bowl that everybody talks about.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2022, 02:16:27 AM »
I think highlighting a group - which is after all an ill-defined or even arbitrary demographic - and then comparing that to other groups who lived in different levels of technological & societal development within different densities of population is indicative of an unhealthy and inappropriate fixation with divide and conquer  :old:

Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Get stuffed Skyyr, you freak" - Zack1234

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2022, 06:28:12 AM »
I think highlighting a group - which is after all an ill-defined or even arbitrary demographic - and then comparing that to other groups who lived in different levels of technological & societal development within different densities of population is indicative of an unhealthy and inappropriate fixation with divide and conquer  :old:

Which is exactly what they do with everything these days...and it works I think through ignorance mainly with some guilt thrown in for good measure..

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2022, 10:12:13 AM »
Which is exactly what they do with everything these days...

They? See there you go again.  :)  It's pervasive, isn't it?
Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Get stuffed Skyyr, you freak" - Zack1234

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2022, 11:12:39 AM »
You can change they to everyone if its easier to understand

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2022, 11:15:41 AM »
Pronoun fight! Pronoun fight!  :D

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2022, 11:37:31 AM »
You can change they to everyone if its easier to understand

Eagler

you mean us.   me I don't think one generation is better than another.

semp

Offline Tig

• Nickel Member
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2022, 01:03:58 PM »
Maybe everyone deserves better, instead of this absolutely BS philosophy spreading around that disrespect is ok or cool. I see it literally everywhere in my Gen Z peers.
I love hanging out with baby boomers at the hangar because they have common sense. But that's not exclusive. I like hanging out with anyone with common sense, it just so happens most of the ones I know are baby boomers.
Turn n' Burn!

Offline thndregg

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2022, 04:15:57 PM »
All I can say is that my mom, now in her early 70's, had a very hard life, as her parents did before her. With the way it turned out for her in 1950's Boise, Idaho as she was the poor girl going to school dressed in hand-me-downs sitting next to the rich kids. She hated the whole school experience. My grandfather was a carpenter who masterfully built many of the rich golf-course homes around the area (at a time when a builder specialized in ALL phases of construction), but could barely make ends meet with his family of six.

My parents did their best to impress upon me they weren't just going to GIVE me everything I wanted or needed to better myself. I earned small change doing odd jobs as a kid, and later, along with other teenagers, I did the normal thing of getting a job at McDonald's at 15 along with going to school. During summer vacation, I worked actually too many hours than was allowed by law for minors - oops - but didn't mind it a bit. It was from those experiences that to this day, while I still don't earn tons of money at nearly 50 years old, I don't WANT anyone to just give me everything. If I'm short on cash for something, I just work for it. Tried to impress this on my sons. Seeing how it goes..

EGG
Former C.O. 91st Bombardment Group (Heavy)
"The Ragged Irregulars"

Offline -gg-

• Silver Member
      • IceCreamOnMars
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2022, 04:54:23 PM »
My mom is 79 and my dad is 78. Both of them grew up dirt poor.

My mom came from a family of 10 kids and my grandfather left them and abandoned them. They really just wore rags and hand me downs.

My dad and his three brothers started out in New Mexico on a small farm working chores before school. Again, dirt poor. My grandfather on this side of the family was a milk truck driver and my grandmother picked cotton and whatever else she could do to make extra money. They worked their tulips off..

My dad's side of the family, my grandfather and grandmother moved the family to Southern California in the 1950s..

My dad never worked for anybody in his life. Dropped out of school at 15 to go work for his brother at a car stereo business 58. Well not car stereo, car mono. Lol. They made it pretty well and they worked hard and we had a good life as kids. I mean we had a much better life than what they had.

I will forever be grateful for every small thing I am blessed with. I don't take anything for granted. Nothing. Nothing is a given and nobody is deserving of anything in this world. We are blessed by the Lord and that's just that.

I'm a happy person and a positive person. I work hard myself and I'm an honest person. My mom instilled honesty and all of us. Work hard and be honest. Be grateful for what you have.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2022, 04:59:01 PM by -gg- »
Icecreamonmars.com. ICOM for short.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2022, 05:22:30 PM »
since this turned into a pity party. grew up splitting a cup of noodles 5 ways, helped my mom pick Chile and tomatoes.

at 20 I had a good job and supported my brothers and sisters

but that has nothing to do with this thread. I have 3 kids and they grew up learning that if you want something you have to work for it.  and they did.  I have 3 granddaughters that are well adjusted and when they get older, they know they will have to get a job.

that's why it bugs me kids now aways don't.... I used to hear the same thing about us. I just laugh every time I hear that.

semp

Offline thndregg

• Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2022, 05:41:05 PM »
since this turned into a pity party.

I don't know.. I don't see it quite like that. I'm glad that it built within us a much better sense of character. I don't look at it as being a victim of something. It just is, and we make the best of it.
Former C.O. 91st Bombardment Group (Heavy)
"The Ragged Irregulars"

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2022, 06:26:47 PM »
So let's define "Boomers". my def is 1946 through 1964. I qualify.
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2022, 06:34:51 PM »
So let's define "Boomers". my def is 1946 through 1964. I qualify.

I  was born in 64, I don't qualify.

semp

Offline -gg-

• Silver Member
      • IceCreamOnMars
« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2022, 07:08:51 PM »
I'm a boomer - just at the tail end. 1964

I grew up in the 70's, basically.
Icecreamonmars.com. ICOM for short.