Author Topic: Is Aces High 32bit?  (Read 542 times)

Offline 1Cane

• Silver Member
Is Aces High 32bit?
« on: October 18, 2022, 10:41:57 AM »
If so, how big a problem to go to 64 bits? Could you play 32 bit against 64 bit? Would it improve the graphics?
AkCaine

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
Re: Is Aces High 32bit?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2022, 10:57:55 AM »
Aceshigh11.exe is a 32-bit application.  I'm not sure what governs whether its 32-bit or 64-bit, but I am pretty sure this decision or setting is made in development or compilation of the code?

We get whatever Hitech wrote it as; we can't change it ourselves.   I think it might have to do with the word-size - or how big the registers are, and perhaps if Dale changed to 64-bit the game could address more memory - so maybe bigger skins, more detailed terrain, resolution? etc would be possible.  Not sure, but its not a change I would expect to see, unless the conversion to support Vulkan would require it?

Offline 1Cane

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2022, 03:48:42 PM »
Aceshigh11.exe is a 32-bit application.  I'm not sure what governs whether its 32-bit or 64-bit, but I am pretty sure this decision or setting is made in development or compilation of the code?

We get whatever Hitech wrote it as; we can't change it ourselves.   I think it might have to do with the word-size - or how big the registers are, and perhaps if Dale changed to 64-bit the game could address more memory - so maybe bigger skins, more detailed terrain, resolution? etc would be possible.  Not sure, but its not a change I would expect to see, unless the conversion to support Vulkan would require it?

thank you I know so little about this I thought I would ask the question. I'm sure others are way ahead of me on this
AkCaine

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2022, 10:19:43 PM »
IIRC 32 bit does everything the program needs and 64 bit would not improve it.

Online artik

• Silver Member
      • Blog
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2022, 03:46:04 AM »
64bit gives significant boost for CPU bounded applications.

The reason isn't just memory size, 64bit instruction set is more reach and has much more registers, it has faster calling conversion (parameters passed by registers rather than over stack) and actually more.

There are many benefits to use 64 bit build. Of course the code should be aware of 64/32 bit difference and it is up to HTC to see if the code is 64 ready - virtually all model Windows installation are already 64 bit.
Artik, 101 "Red" Squadron, Israel