Author Topic: An Ideal to attract new players  (Read 4100 times)

Offline Tig

• Nickel Member
Re: An Ideal to attract new players
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2022, 08:39:57 PM »
Why how much does the server he runs in his own home cost.  You seem to have the data so please share.

Nope, just adding up max # of MA players and multiplying by $15 a month. Enough money to live on, even now. Pretty sure the server banks do not reside at his home last I checked, don't really know, either way he wouldn't want to tell anyone.  :noid
Turn n' Burn!

Online Bopgun

• Nickel Member
« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2022, 08:44:25 PM »
Nope, just adding up max # of MA players and multiplying by $15 a month. Enough money to live on, even now. Pretty sure the server banks do not reside at his home last I checked, don't really know, either way he wouldn't want to tell anyone.  :noid

I think he does keep the servers at his home. I'm sure the overhead is still significant.
Ingame: StepSis

Needs help with homework!

Offline Tig

• Nickel Member
« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2022, 08:51:04 PM »
I think he does keep the servers at his home. I'm sure the overhead is still significant.

With that kind of data throughput I'd expect he had to upgrade his internet connection considerably.  :bolt:
Turn n' Burn!

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2022, 09:07:39 PM »
With that kind of data throughput I'd expect he had to upgrade his internet connection considerably.  :bolt:

through put isnt that big, check out his post on the move here

https://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,397716.0.html

Offline Mongoose

• Silver Member
      • Kentwood Station
« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2022, 09:11:33 PM »
Do you think the complete lack of development while still requiring a subscription is a big issue? 

Nope.  No reason this should be an issue.  There are some people who keep crying, "We want something new.  We want something new."  That's not what this is about.  This is about playing in this great sandbox we have.  It's well worth the monthly fee.

We have made a suggestion.  We have heard from the man who has far more insight on this issue than anyone else in this discussion.  More questions might help shed more light on the issue, but the criticism doesn't help.
My Aces High fan site:
www.kentwoodstation.com

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2022, 06:56:18 AM »
I'd be amazed if he could keep the servers online without the subscription income. Even with how few players there are, the amount of revenue from all their monthly subscriptions are incredible.
Could he do a one time price thing? Probably, but to keep the bills paid it would have to cost so much.

Incredible?

$15 x? = Incredible?

I didn't think there 1000 of us left..even that is not Incredible by any means

Your Incredible is not mine

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2022, 11:20:55 AM »
Incredible?

$15 x? = Incredible?

Eagler

So 15x1000 comes out to $180,000, even halving that is pretty impressive. I can only assume your reply is a humble brag attempt, minus the humble part.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #37 on: October 14, 2022, 12:43:58 PM »
So 15x1000 comes out to $180,000, even halving that is pretty impressive. I can only assume your reply is a humble brag attempt, minus the humble part.

To run a business and live slightly above comfortable?

It's not that much

No bragging..just facts

Do you think there are 1000 of us left?

Eagler

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #38 on: October 14, 2022, 01:19:09 PM »
To run a business and live slightly above comfortable?

It's not that much

No bragging..just facts

Do you think there are 1000 of us left?

Eagler

I'd guess between 600-700 still paying, and Dale seems like a smart guy. I'm thinking he manages very well with what he's done the last 20+ years and isn't living check to check. If it was a burden we wouldn't be here.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #39 on: October 14, 2022, 01:40:31 PM »
I hope he is and keeps the game going forever

<S>

Eagler

Offline Tig

• Nickel Member
« Reply #40 on: October 14, 2022, 08:47:28 PM »
Incredible?

$15 x? = Incredible?

Eagler

As far as businesses go, that's extraordinary, considering he only has to keep the servers up and the bills paid. This is way after the heyday, and a good 20 years after the game came out, without staff expenses, development or office costs. It's gone down to ~$180,000/year, and I refuse to believe it costs more than a fraction of that to keep a server bank running.
And considering he's the only one profiting off that......  :salute
Turn n' Burn!

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #41 on: October 15, 2022, 07:47:23 AM »
Yes he's not in a trailer park but it doesn't look like much left over for game dev imo

Eagler

Offline Slade

• Silver Member
« Reply #42 on: October 25, 2022, 10:28:39 AM »
I hope he is and keeps the game going forever

+1
-- Flying as X15 --

Offline RichardDarkwood

• Silver Member
« Reply #43 on: November 13, 2022, 08:19:03 AM »
they didn't even finish their two week trial - and that makes me think its something other than cost that is causing new players not to continue.

Have you looked around in the game lately????

He's charging a subscription fee for an outdated game. One step above minecraft is what this game is.

If this game was on Xbox it would have been on gamepass long ago, as gamepass is where games go to die
"Show me on the doll where the bad man touched you"---Betty

https://www.twitch.tv/hounds_darkwood
CO--The Bad Guys

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #44 on: November 13, 2022, 09:22:08 AM »
Have you looked around in the game lately????

He's charging a subscription fee for an outdated game. One step above minecraft is what this game is.

If this game was on Xbox it would have been on gamepass long ago, as gamepass is where games go to die

Subscription fee doesn't come into play for the free two-week trial - you don't even have to supply credit card info to start.   But most people (65%) didn't even last 10 minutes according to Hitech.  I suspect the game's user interface design and graphics probably make a poor first impression on anyone who is familiar with more recently development flight sims.    Could also be they have difficulty in setting up their controls, but honestly I didn't find AH any more difficult than in IL-2, War Thunder, or DCS - although their user interfaces are prettier and much more modern-looking.

It's a shame because in AH, I immediately feel more connected to the players when I log in - the voice channels and chat buffer are busy with activity, and it's easy to jump in and be a part of it.  With the the real time radar on the clipboard map, you can see exactly where the action is.   Heck, many times when I login I find myself in the tower of a field that is currently under attack.  Now that is jumping right into it!   

As an online player in IL-2 and DCS, I feel more isolated.   And to get voice comms you have to DL and fiddle with 3rd party SimpleRadioSystem, and SRS buffer doesn't show up in your VR view, so you cant see what channel you are on, or the handles of who's transmitting.

AH does a lot of things right IMO, but is really past due for an overhaul and update of the UI graphics.  And maybe it's time to ditch the subscription model and instead charge one time for the base game and planeset, and charge a premium for the rest as collector planes.   I'd be for any changes that help AH survive and grow.