Author Topic: What connection speed are you getting. Hardwired of wifi  (Read 2699 times)

Offline nopoop

• Gold Member
What connection speed are you getting. Hardwired of wifi
« on: September 27, 2022, 03:31:28 PM »
From another thread I'm curious.

Average is around 60ms from what I'm seeing.

Mine is 60ms rock solid with wifi..

Hardwiring for me wouldn't work being that the wire would run the length of my house.

If 60ms is the average I would think being average would be helpful from learning lag and having most at the same speeds.
nopoop

It's ALL about the fight..

Offline RichardDarkwood

• Silver Member
Re: What connection speed are you getting. Hardwired of wifi
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2022, 03:34:30 PM »

Hardwiring for me wouldn't work being that the wire would run the length of my house.

I saw a product that has two units using the power outlets in your house. One unit is plugged in near the router and the other is plugged in at the PC. Both have Ethernet lines in them.
A yappy back seater like Jester wasn’t popular or fun to fly with, more of an unnecessary distraction than anything else---Puma44

https://www.twitch.tv/hounds_darkwood
CO--The Bad Guys

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2022, 04:15:36 PM »
Connection speed is 460 Mbps Xfinity Cable (usually one of the TVs is streaming at the same time). Ping 8-15ms in AH

Connection speed in my 2500 Denali 488 Mbps. Have not tried to play Ah in there.  :rofl
« Last Edit: September 27, 2022, 04:19:11 PM by Shuffler »
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline GasTeddy

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2022, 04:23:07 PM »
Ping around 200...  :embarrassed: As I live in Europe.

Offline Worid

• Zinc Member
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2022, 04:34:08 PM »
I'd be a little weary of such connections. Most relay systems such as Dark noted, will still place an inherent latency just do due to fact their relays. doesn't matter the form factor.

Think of it as a long distance baton relay race, Each guy has to pass the baton his carrying  to the next guy... now the first guy has to pass his baton to the next, but the next guy also has to pass the one he's carrying back; on down the line. Get it. Shorted distance with having to pass data back thru multiple relays is usually best.

Here's the skinny on any issues you can encounter even with hardwired lines.
1. EMI/EMF interference... bad one here - can be caused by even having any part of your system on anything like a microwave or similar device in the same room, or even an electrical circuit.
2. degraded cables.. even on inbound lines that others provided.

The lists go on and on.

In other words some times spending $150 to run a hardwired connection to where you wanted and adding a $50 router may work out better.

I can see your place so... I can only say I hope this helps.

Worid
U.S.Navy - ET IRev.

Offline Worid

• Zinc Member
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2022, 04:41:10 PM »
I personal , depending on which connection (got 3) that I use can get between 80-120. But I leave in the country. (Which is why i have 3 connections, one always seems to act up.)

Worid
U.S.Navy - ET IRev.

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2022, 05:05:14 PM »
I played dialup until 2011 or so (boonies) usually had a steady 250 or so, game ran ok. Since then have used a wifi hotspot fed by a cell phone booster via an antenna booster atop a 25' fiberglass pole.. get about 6meg download.

Thankfully some presidential candidate made a lot of noise about rural high-speed... They have been replacing the short power poles for a few months, running fiber now, can't wait
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2022, 05:53:12 PM »
This is typical for me.  Hard wired.

Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2022, 07:13:20 PM »
50ms
See Rule 19- Do not place sausage on pizza.
I am No-Sausage-On-Pizza-Wad.
Das Funkillah - I kill hangers, therefore I am a funkiller. Coming to a vulchfest near you.
You cant tie a loop around 400000 lbs of locomotive using a 2 foot rope - Drediock on fat women

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2022, 07:19:12 PM »
I'd be a little weary of such connections. Most relay systems such as Dark noted, will still place an inherent latency just do due to fact their relays. doesn't matter the form factor.

Think of it as a long distance baton relay race, Each guy has to pass the baton his carrying  to the next guy... now the first guy has to pass his baton to the next, but the next guy also has to pass the one he's carrying back; on down the line. Get it. Shorted distance with having to pass data back thru multiple relays is usually best.

Here's the skinny on any issues you can encounter even with hardwired lines.
1. EMI/EMF interference... bad one here - can be caused by even having any part of your system on anything like a microwave or similar device in the same room, or even an electrical circuit.
2. degraded cables.. even on inbound lines that others provided.

The lists go on and on.

In other words some times spending $150 to run a hardwired connection to where you wanted and adding a $50 router may work out better.

I can see your place so... I can only say I hope this helps.

Worid
U.S.Navy - ET IRev.

No no no and no.

Wired range extenders are bridges, not relays. That said an ethernet cable should cover you up to 100m. Wifi extenders ARE relays.

EMI/EMF interface really needs something sitting beside the cable and running parallel to it. Microwaves do not interfere with ethernet (but they do with bluetooth and wifi).

At the end of the day you cannot beat an ethernet cable.

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2022, 07:29:49 PM »
I have seen a lot of people use the wifi extenders placed on the far end of the reach of their normal wifi, to where you only have 1 bar of wifi signal at the location of the extender. A wifi speed test on the original wifi signal will get you about 2-5 meg down on the original wifi. Then they cant understand why their new extender has full wifi bars but only puts out about 2-5 meg down.
See Rule 19- Do not place sausage on pizza.
I am No-Sausage-On-Pizza-Wad.
Das Funkillah - I kill hangers, therefore I am a funkiller. Coming to a vulchfest near you.
You cant tie a loop around 400000 lbs of locomotive using a 2 foot rope - Drediock on fat women

Offline -gg-

• Silver Member
      • IceCreamOnMars
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2022, 08:18:05 PM »
From another thread I'm curious.

Average is around 60ms from what I'm seeing.

Mine is 60ms rock solid with wifi..

If 60ms is the average I would think being average would be helpful from learning lag and having most at the same speeds.

are you talking about ping time? You might want to pull up the clipboard and check variance in game and compare. The variance is a good indicator of a solid connection, from what I understand.

I'll check mine in a few. I run wifi myself... but I can run hardwire too - just wanted less wires. I have not tested game numbers, but I do not notice any difference.

If you run a cable the length of the house, use CAT6 cable and you should be fine.
Icecreamonmars.com. ICOM for short.

Offline -gg-

• Silver Member
      • IceCreamOnMars
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2022, 08:27:30 PM »
This is what I've got right now in the tower.

Icecreamonmars.com. ICOM for short.

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2022, 10:22:56 PM »
I'm old school and have always felt that a wired connection would be superior to a wireless connection. I couldn't tell you what my ping is because I never feel like I need to check it. I am on a fiber connection through Spectrum.

:cheers:
444th Air Mafia since Air Warrior
Proudly flying with VF-17

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline thndregg

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2022, 10:35:49 PM »
In southern Philippines (Davao Del Sur, Mindanao), ping reads about 247. I'm on WiFi right next to a Nokia brand router/modem. Fiber service is through a fairly new competitor by the name of Converge. Speeds are 183 down/108 up to the random server bandwidthplace.com selected in Hong Kong.

Now I just gotta find time to fly with my squaddies stateside as I'm 12 hours ahead of EST.

EGG
Former C.O. 91st Bombardment Group (Heavy)
"The Ragged Irregulars"