Author Topic: What connection speed are you getting. Hardwired of wifi  (Read 2701 times)

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
Re: What connection speed are you getting. Hardwired of wifi
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2022, 11:02:18 PM »
I'm old school and have always felt that a wired connection would be superior to a wireless connection.

And you would be correct, wifi is a half duplex contended medium. Whereas ethernet (wired) is a full duplex contended medium (between your router and PC). Not to mention wifi is prone to interference (from other wifi, bluetooth, microwave ovens and all the other crap on the 2.4/5Ghz spectrums). Anyone who tries to tell you different is selling snake oil.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2022, 06:31:32 AM »
Wired is always better than wireless

It's physics

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2022, 08:58:27 AM »
Back around 11 to 12 years ago, I networked my parents home completely to every room except the bathrooms...

I used Cat7A STP cables and upgraded to an extreme gaming router, NetGear 16-port switch where the cable/ modem/ router are set-up, in the office/ computer room there are 3 computer desk with a  connection at each one with a NetGear 10-port switch at the 3rd desk where I can run 2 separate setups of 4 different computers running independently or all together using just one keyboard/ mouse/ monitor/ speakers
Each different room (bedrooms, den, living room, dining room and kitchen) have NetGear 5-port switches

That's all my hardwired stuff also with my home server and  several NAS devices...like one NAS at my home entertainment center hooked to my TV and stereo/ surround sound system (31 speakers, 3 subs, (1) 1100 watt unit and (2) 500 watt Amp units) ...I  am half deaf, so I have to turn it up...hahaha

Last October when I switched providers the technician that came out showed me that I was getting anywhere from 970+ Mbps upwards of 1.2 Gbps connected speed going into the modem

All the network wiring (Cat7A STP) is 10 Gbps capable as well as my 16 and 10 port switches, the other (6) 5-port switches are 1 Gbps capable.... your speed is only as fast as your slowest component..

My speed is right around the 1 Gbps range (well was the last time I checked...been almost a year on this free internet stuff, that I qualified for because of having full VA benefits...seems like they are wanting to start charging me now..got to get that sorted out heh..)

Sometimes my connection shows me steady around 32/34 ms...then at times it shows me steady at 60 ms.... I  have even seen it steady at 24 ms.... it all depends on time of day pretty much... variance in game is always pretty much flat line and if your connection or even the game itself has a hiccup it will show up on the variance in-game...if it's the game, you'll know quickly because everyone will start  texting/ talking about it...if you see it and no one else mentions it 😉  then it's on your end...

I  recommend people try  testmy.net for testing all your internet connections and speed stuff... you can register and join and log / keep logs of all your testing etc... it even allows you to set it up for each separate internet connection/ room etc... I  recommend reading up on the different articles and there is a lot of available information on the forums

That's my connection, home setup, etc...   I  seriously suggest checking out  testmy.net  I've been using it for over 15+ years or so...

Cheers 🍻

TC
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2022, 10:36:52 AM »
My connection is WIFI throughout my home.

I have lights, HVAC, Generac, cameras, garage door, ceiling fans, refrigerator, oven, the pit on the back patio, all connected.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2022, 12:06:27 PM »
I have lights, HVAC, Generac, cameras, garage door, ceiling fans, refrigerator, oven, the pit on the back patio, all connected.

Twin, contra-rotating Curtiss Electric ceiling fans I trust?

Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Get stuffed Skyyr, you freak" - Zack1234

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2022, 12:21:53 PM »
Twin, contra-rotating Curtiss Electric ceiling fans I trust?

LOL no but in the valted ceiling living room I have two 60" 12 bladed fans that resemble windmills. They have 9 speeds and also have what is called summer breeze where they will speed up and then slow down ever so often if it is on.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2022, 01:52:35 PM »
about 25 up and 2 down but I live at the absolute end of the line for the local ISP They are promising fiber out here in the next two months.  That said my PP stays in the green on hitech. 
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline Worid

• Zinc Member
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2022, 04:29:56 PM »
Everything Vulcan said is true. I didn't explain it very well or say that in older homes where the panels haven't been brought up to current electrical codes. household appliances like older microwaves can find  back thru the house electrical lines. Especial in ungrounded or faulty grounded panels and outlets.

Worid

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2022, 09:36:22 PM »
I sometimes use an old tape Walkman. Surprising what you hear when you walk past an operating microwave.

And you would be correct, wifi is a half duplex contended medium. Whereas ethernet (wired) is a full duplex contended medium (between your router and PC). Not to mention wifi is prone to interference (from other wifi, bluetooth, microwave ovens and all the other crap on the 2.4/5Ghz spectrums). Anyone who tries to tell you different is selling snake oil.

That's interesting. So, if you had the most red-hot, bestest connection possible ever, would it reduce the perceptible lag when fighting someone else who had a laggy connection?
Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2022, 02:48:02 AM »
I sometimes use an old tape Walkman. Surprising what you hear when you walk past an operating microwave.

That's interesting. So, if you had the most red-hot, bestest connection possible ever, would it reduce the perceptible lag when fighting someone else who had a laggy connection?

You are still going to see issues with them. Although the way HTs network code works up to a certain point a consistent connection is important.

Lag is detrimental to all parties involved. Though I think the problem we see in AH is people who know they have lag and learn how to use that to their advantage. For example there are certain players who know that if they stir a certain way it is almost impossible for the netcode to keep up, inducing bizarre  maneuvers - best example is the one where spitfires appear to have their tail as their CoG.

r

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2022, 07:20:29 AM »
Thanks Vulcan

I think the problem we see in AH is people who know they have lag and learn how to use that to their advantage.

Those barstards.
Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline TequilaChaser

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2022, 07:37:37 AM »
What Vulcan posted is true and it even goes back to the dial-up modem 1200 baud days of playing AirWarrior

Shane (flew as Oopsy in AirWarrior before switching to Shane) knows this and is why it was easy for him to spot it and call it out...
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2022, 07:47:47 AM »
So if someone has a crummy connection should they not play?

Should they wait to hear your pings before they fire back?

Not sure what you think a fix would be

If they aren't manipulating their connection on purpose to cause it I think we have to live with it

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline TequilaChaser

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2022, 08:13:16 AM »
If they aren't manipulating their connection on purpose to cause it I think we have to live with it

Eagler

This....

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2022, 08:19:57 AM »
I've played with a lot of bad connections in a LOT of seedy motels, and it never seemed to be an advantage for me
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/