Author Topic: SSD Bricked  (Read 411 times)

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
SSD Bricked
« on: September 30, 2022, 12:53:34 AM »
My daily driver's a MacBook Pro. All booing and hissing aside, last night my 'Bootdisk' or Apple equivalent thereof could no longer be recognised. Couldn't repair it either with the disk recovery software. I had a spare mechanical drive which had more use, in a way dirtier environment, is older, full of moving, mechanical parts yet it still worked. So my daily is back in service with a slight loss of data and a temporarily more primitive OS.

My question is does anyone have positive experiences of recovering data from a faulty SSD. When they fail do they totally fail or can data often be recovered? What software have actual people not aspiring to views on their YouTube channel had?

Thanks for any help in advance.

"Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened" - Dr. Seuss

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
Re: SSD Bricked
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2022, 02:10:41 AM »
Only ever had 1 SSD failure,  was a mushkin that bricked on my late Dad's PC that I built him, and only reason I used that particular brand was because it came in a combo and Dad's wanted to argue with me over saving around $75, to where I was wanting to use a Crucial brand one....

No way I found to recover anything, but that was nearly 8 years ago...

All other SSDs I've ever have used have been Crucial brand and none have failed yet...some are around 12 years old and still running just fine... same goes for all my Hitachi HDDs....

I have had Seagate, Samsung, WD black, blue and even Raptors as well as Toshiba and I think Matrox? HDDS all fail ....
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2022, 02:38:07 AM »
This one was a Samsung 850 EVO.

I do know some Linux commands if there's a Doctor in the house?

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2022, 08:21:38 PM »
Crucial SSDs in the PC I built same time as you way back when TC is still ticking along. Gets more hours on it now as the wife's WFH machine than I ever put on it. Have a few others, WD and Samsung. Even have a couple running 98se and XP on the hoopty Franken P4 machine. Haven't lost one of those yet. Mechanical drives? Oh yeah. Tick tick tick tick. They die.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2022, 02:30:53 PM »
Bricked SSD saga continues with something so objectionable I could barely believe it. Although having bought the copy of OSX I was using lately (*on disk), and it being still available to me via the Apple (virtual) store, those little hipster, mockatoppafaperchino-swigging programmers put a sell-by date into the system. Gives a vague error on installation at exactly the same place. Turn off WiFi and frig the system clock and installed without problems immediately. Barstards. I'm fumin. Some hipsters are going to pay for this.  :old: