Author Topic: Passwords & logins  (Read 615 times)

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
Passwords & logins
« on: October 01, 2022, 08:10:43 AM »
One highly irksome part of losing your daily driver computer is being confronted with just how many damn logins and usernames you have to have these days to get by. ‘This password is not secure enough for your account with: let’s buy an occasional Japanese saw once every two years or so’. ‘This password must be at least 26 characters long, contain upper and lower case, numbers, symbols and hieroglyphs’. Confirm you’re a human by playing a sliding block game for four minutes clicking on the tiles that contain bicycles, lamp posts and fire hydrants’. ‘Help us secure your account by giving us your phone number, credit card details, house address and a sample of your DNA to ensure no one reads your email account which is actually mostly full with account and password verifications etc.

Hell’s bells it makes you want to live in a stone hut in the woods where even the UPS paratroopers can’t find you.  :old:
Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Get stuffed Skyyr, you freak" - Zack1234

Offline -gg-

• Silver Member
      • IceCreamOnMars
Re: Passwords & logins
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2022, 08:41:46 AM »
Yeah. I have a lot of accounts for various music production tools. Recently built a new computer and had to reload everything. With that, there's not only the login for the company website for each one, but also activation codes and a bunch of hoops you have to jump through to get them authorized again.

I use my google account for email and web, so most of the passwords for my normal stuff is retained. Same with email. They're all still there.

I have to transfer my stuff to a replacement phone sometime today. That used to be a major pain in the bellybutton back in the day, but not so much now.

Work passwords suck. Vendor accounts make you change your password every few months and that really sucks.
Icecreamonmars.com. ICOM for short.

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2022, 09:52:48 AM »
I let google store everyone that is possible, just can't be bothered with it anymore
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2022, 10:17:11 AM »
Use Multifactor Authentication (MFA) with any account important. It can be defeated but usually isn't worth the effort. Using the same password for multiple accounts is a bad idea. I use LastPass.
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2022, 10:30:59 AM »

I use Dashlane and have really enjoyed it.
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2022, 03:13:35 PM »
Anyone finds out the name of my dog I'm screwed
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2022, 04:52:44 PM »
Growing up in Africa, I know an unwritten language. That is an excellent source for me .  :devil
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2022, 04:57:17 PM »
Growing up in Africa, I know an unwritten language. That is an excellent source for me .  :devil

If it's unwritten how do you write down (or type) the password?

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2022, 05:00:19 PM »
I was taught that unwritten languages are spelled how they sound. As far as passwords go, how I pronounce it and spell it is up to me, with me still being able to speak it (not as fluently as I could as a kid 55 years ago) it is no problem.
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2022, 08:36:02 PM »
Anyone finds out the name of my dog I'm screwed

:rofl

I was taught that unwritten languages are spelled how they sound. As far as passwords go, how I pronounce it and spell it is up to me, with me still being able to speak it (not as fluently as I could as a kid 55 years ago) it is no problem.

That's fantastic. Which language is it?
Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Get stuffed Skyyr, you freak" - Zack1234

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2022, 09:01:33 AM »
Yeah. I have a lot of accounts for various music production tools. Recently built a new computer and had to reload everything. With that, there's not only the login for the company website for each one, but also activation codes and a bunch of hoops you have to jump through to get them authorized again.

I use my google account for email and web, so most of the passwords for my normal stuff is retained. Same with email. They're all still there.

I have to transfer my stuff to a replacement phone sometime today. That used to be a major pain in the bellybutton back in the day, but not so much now.

Work passwords suck. Vendor accounts make you change your password every few months and that really sucks.

I just use a permutation of a six digit code where I rotate the number or numbers I spell out.  So say the PW is 123456.  i'd start out with One23456.  When I have to change it I go with 1Two3456.  Sometimes I have to put a symbol at the end and I use one not the ! from the top of the keyboard.  Every six months or so I change the number.  It's kept me secure for years. 

JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute