Author Topic: Help Please!  (Read 2481 times)

Offline SIM

• Nickel Member
Help Please!
« on: October 19, 2022, 08:26:18 PM »
I am trying to help a neighbor with a new build and am stuck/stumped....

This build is an Asus Tuf Gaming B550 Plus Wifi II motherboard with a Ryzen 7 5800X cpu. Two sticks of Corsair Vengeance 3600 memory and a Samsung 980 Pro M2 SSD. A corsair 750 watt PSU is powering the system. Video is a MSI RTX 3080 Ventus 3X Plus.

Neighbor built system and brought it to me to look at, no display....tried the 3080 on one of my machines and it performs as desired, but nothing on neighbors.

Any ideas before I tell him to RMA the board?

Thanks for any consideration.

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
Re: Help Please!
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2022, 10:05:31 PM »
Does it try to post, If so at what point does it quite? Do you hear any beeps, or is there an led display.

Some AMD cpu's you have to do a bios update on the mobo before it will work. You'll have to check the documentation for the mobo. 

The only thing I would suggest is make sure everything (components, cables etc.) is properly seated.

Good luck.

:salute
444th Air Mafia since Air Warrior
Proudly flying with VF-17

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Online 1ijac

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2022, 11:55:16 PM »
I had something similar happen and it was frustrating.... I had the wrong port selected for the signal to the monitor.    :eek:   Lmao..  It was that simple.  Is the correct driver installed?

One-eye
"One-Eye"

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2022, 12:53:50 AM »
Check the M2 SSD that it has the raiser nut at the end! My first encounter with those was similar: the neighbour had built the system but there was no life whatsoever other than a couple of LED's. It appeared that the M2 was sitting slanted in its slot and the raiser nut was still in the bag. Simple fix but difficult to diagnose!
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Online Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2022, 09:05:54 AM »
Asus mobos have a couple of things that can point you to the boot problem. I have an X570-E and on mine there are both. LEDs that will show at what point in the boot process things are and if there's a problem in a particular area--like graphics--it'll get stuck with that LED lit. The other way is a digital display that shows what's called a Q code. They're listed in the board's manual and will tell you exactly what's happening.

Do you have another known good video card that you can try in the slot? Does it work? If you try that and it works it could be the BIOS needs updating. Go into the BIOS and restore defaults. Make sure you do this before flashing a new/different BIOS otherwise you may have problems. Reboot.

It could be that the board is using it's OG BIOS which might pre-date the video card and so doesn't recognize it. On my board there's a few ways to flash the BIOS by either a tool within the BIOS (that I usually use) or by using a certain USB port that has a button on it just for the occasion (that I did when the board was new). Both worked fine. Get to a working PC, have a USB stick handy. DL the latest BIOS. It'll come in a zip file that will contain the BIOS and a renaming tool. Unzip, run the tool, copy/paste the renamed BIOS file to the USB stick. Plug that into the BIOS flashback port, bring up the tool in the BIOS, navigate to the USB stick/file with the arrow keys and run the tool. It'll flash the new BIOS and reboot the PC at defaults. Otherwise you can use the flashback port and just press the button. It may take a while to flash the new BIOS--don't stop it under any circumstances! To be sure of the process DL and RTFM so you have the steps right.
"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2022, 10:38:18 AM »
Yet one thing about Asus motherboards: If the battery dies the computer won't boot, it will be totally silent! Other brands may halt and inform about that, for some reason Asus has chosen another path. This isn't a new thing, the first one I recall seeing was a WinXP Fujitsu equipped with an Asus mobo.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Online Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2022, 11:41:36 AM »
You wouldn't think it'd be the battery already as the board itself isn't that old but stranger things have happened! Could just try a CMOS too and see if it picks up after that. Not sure how that works on your board. Could be a button, could be shorting a pair of pins together.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2022, 11:56:25 AM »
Your guys knowledge of the specifics always amazes me

<S>

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2022, 12:01:49 PM »
Your guys knowledge of the specifics always amazes me

<S>

Eagler

+1 what he said.  :rock
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Online Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2022, 12:41:54 PM »
Not like I'm some kinda professional. I've just built and tweaked a few PCs for fun. Most of my knowledge is gleaned from trial and error. Mostly error! That and RTFM! :aok
"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline SIM

• Nickel Member
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2022, 05:12:27 PM »
Thanks for the replies folks, you've given me some other things to consider!

The system will not get to POST. I've tried with one of my video cards and still no joy. RGB fans light up, water pump runs and fans run at low speeds. Video card fans come on but not at great speed.

So far, I've:
Swapped video cards - no post
swapped memory - no post
checked all connections - no post
checked M.2 SSD -  found card screwed to m/b instead of on standoff post, made correction - no post

I've seen some videos about the "older" bios. That may be the next step but I will do some more digging before going there.

Clearing the CMOS is something I hadnt considered, but I think that will happen in a few minutes.

Thanks again for all the replies!

Online Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2022, 05:52:57 PM »
Get that it's not posting but is there any indication from the board where it's hanging up? An LED staying lit? Q-code?

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

Online Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2022, 06:02:31 PM »
Just looked. You don't have a digital Q-code display but you do have Q-LEDs. They're on the edge of the board just above the 24-pin connector. When you try to boot is one of them staying lit? Which one? They're labeled to help you figure out what's holding you up.

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline SIM

• Nickel Member
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2022, 06:52:51 PM »
Thats just it Drano, none of the Q-Leds are staying lit, they don't light up at all.

I'm still researching......

Thanks again all!

Online Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2022, 07:05:26 PM »
None of those lighting at all is a bad sign! They're there to tell you "hey I have a problem with" either the CPU, memory, GPU or other not device (usually the drive). And you gots nuttin!

Try re-seating the CPU? Might be a good idea to check for bent pins. Something ain't right. You tried checking the button battery and clearing CMOS already too?

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"