Author Topic: Help Please!  (Read 2479 times)

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
Re: Help Please!
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2022, 07:28:06 PM »
Sounds like a bad PSU.

Offline SIM

• Nickel Member
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2022, 07:35:58 PM »
Yeah I dumped the CMOS and even did the battery side for good measure! Still nothing.

Vulcan, I thought about that myself, and its definitely possible, but I don't have the gear on hand to do any checks for the PSU.

Just talked to the owner, he is coming to pick up the system in a few minutes. Went over everything I've done and found out. He is going to try one of the shops locally and see what they find, if anything.....

This one has been a head-scratcher and I'm bald already.......

Thanks again All for your help! It is very much appreciated!

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2022, 07:43:17 PM »
Yeah could be. Gets some things powered tho. Cable? Mobo not even trying to post is a problem tho.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2022, 07:48:42 PM »
To bad we didn't get it rolling. Let us know what they find out.

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2022, 10:04:51 PM »
When all else fails, I go to Micro Center. The one here in Dallas is great and very reasonable.
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline Mayhem

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.damned.org
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2022, 06:29:21 PM »
I am trying to help a neighbor with a new build and am stuck/stumped....

This build is an Asus Tuf Gaming B550 Plus Wifi II motherboard with a Ryzen 7 5800X cpu. Two sticks of Corsair Vengeance 3600 memory and a Samsung 980 Pro M2 SSD. A corsair 750 watt PSU is powering the system. Video is a MSI RTX 3080 Ventus 3X Plus.

Neighbor built system and brought it to me to look at, no display....tried the 3080 on one of my machines and it performs as desired, but nothing on neighbors.

Any ideas before I tell him to RMA the board?

Thanks for any consideration.

Can you get the system to boot with another video card?

I had a similar problem in my case my x570 MB needed an a biod update to work on the second run of Ryzen 3x00X cpu and Ryzen 5x00X cpus.

Make sure the CPU is properly seated and non of the cpu pins are bent this is a common mistake and problem on Pin Grid Array processors.
"Destination anywhere! So Far Gone, I'm almost There."
The Damned! (Est. 1988) Damned if we do - No fun if we don't!

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2022, 07:15:36 PM »
Something else is going on there. He's got none of the diagnostic LEDs lighting at all. Not staying lit, as if there was a problem at a certain step in the boot. Just no lighty. Not even getting to GPU.

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2022, 07:07:19 AM »
I know its too late but last time I had something like that happen to me, it was either the motherboard or power supply. Wouldnt boot but the cpu fan would spin like it was powered up and the power led light would light up. That case the motherboard was bad. Another one was nothing, no lights or anything, that case the motherboard was bad also after trying a known working power supply. Last one was the same case as then 2nd but the power supply croaked.
See Rule 19- Do not place sausage on pizza.
I am No-Sausage-On-Pizza-Wad.
Das Funkillah - I kill hangers, therefore I am a funkiller. Coming to a vulchfest near you.
You cant tie a loop around 400000 lbs of locomotive using a 2 foot rope - Drediock on fat women

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2022, 10:18:52 AM »
Do you have another power supply you can swap it out for?

My guess its the ps or the mb

Good luck

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2022, 10:38:37 AM »
Sounds like it needs a bios update.
444th Air Mafia since Air Warrior
Proudly flying with VF-17

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline Mayhem

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.damned.org
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2022, 08:56:11 PM »
You can get a psu tester at your local bestbuy or online for cheap to test your power supply. Another trick you can use is a paper clip to close pins 4 and 5 and see if the psu turns on. It doesn't rule all psu problems but if the psu doesn't turn on you know it's bad.

https://callihandata.com/2021/07/25/testing-a-power-supply-with-a-paper-clip/

Note I'm A+ cert and I do not like the paper clip method but it works when your desperate but bad things can happen if you cross the wrong pins.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2022, 08:59:51 PM by Mayhem »
"Destination anywhere! So Far Gone, I'm almost There."
The Damned! (Est. 1988) Damned if we do - No fun if we don't!

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2022, 03:56:39 AM »
You can get a psu tester at your local bestbuy or online for cheap to test your power supply. Another trick you can use is a paper clip to close pins 4 and 5 and see if the psu turns on. It doesn't rule all psu problems but if the psu doesn't turn on you know it's bad.

https://callihandata.com/2021/07/25/testing-a-power-supply-with-a-paper-clip/

Note I'm A+ cert and I do not like the paper clip method but it works when your desperate but bad things can happen if you cross the wrong pins.
Instead of a paper clip I've used a piece of insulated solid copper wire bent to a U, the ends exposed. That said, the voltages at that end aren't dangerous.

I've got one of the cheap testers and it works to an extent. It's basically just a simple voltage meter, showing if the various voltages are off or not. Plus there's a "power good" timer which can tell if the PSU takes way too long to reach full performance. Plus it has the paper clip built in.

Speaking of security, no matter if you use a tester or a paper clip you'll have to plug the PSU into mains and if there's an internal shortcut to the housing you may get a zap. If that were the case you'd already have noticed it and most likely also blown a fuse.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2022, 05:24:24 PM »
Shorting out pins in a potentially faulty power supply is a good way to get yourself a darwin award.

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2022, 06:24:23 PM »
See Rule 19- Do not place sausage on pizza.
I am No-Sausage-On-Pizza-Wad.
Das Funkillah - I kill hangers, therefore I am a funkiller. Coming to a vulchfest near you.
You cant tie a loop around 400000 lbs of locomotive using a 2 foot rope - Drediock on fat women

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2022, 12:29:45 AM »
Is this a case of the motherboard having a video-out that is active? That would explain everything.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.