Author Topic: Help Please!  (Read 2482 times)

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
Re: Help Please!
« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2022, 01:13:13 AM »
Is this a case of the motherboard having a video-out that is active? That would explain everything.
Following that path, plugging the cable into the motherboard (vertical) instead of the video card (horizontal) is one common mistake.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline SIM

• Nickel Member
« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2022, 05:28:12 PM »
Is this a case of the motherboard having a video-out that is active? That would explain everything.

Negative, the mobo had onboard video, but the cpu does not support that function.

Folks, this system would not POST in any sort of way. The memory and video card were tested on other machines and both worked. The cpu was checked for bent pins and mounting. I spent a couple of hours checking for bent pins on the mobo and in each card slot.

My assumption is that the mobo was bad out of the box. A bad psu could have something to do with that, but right now I have not received any word back from my neighbor.

Thanks again for the suggestions.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2022, 05:44:58 PM »
Make sure the CP"U cooling fan is plugged into the "CPU" fan header. That would be the first four pins top right. If so, and the fan doesn't turn that could be another problem. I have had bad boards too, but I try to give them some small faith.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #33 on: October 24, 2022, 06:06:26 PM »
Negative, the mobo had onboard video, but the cpu does not support that function.

Folks, this system would not POST in any sort of way. The memory and video card were tested on other machines and both worked. The cpu was checked for bent pins and mounting. I spent a couple of hours checking for bent pins on the mobo and in each card slot.

My assumption is that the mobo was bad out of the box. A bad psu could have something to do with that, but right now I have not received any word back from my neighbor.

I would just assume at this point the motherboard is garbage and needs replaced
See Rule 19- Do not place sausage on pizza.
I am No-Sausage-On-Pizza-Wad.
Das Funkillah - I kill hangers, therefore I am a funkiller. Coming to a vulchfest near you.
You cant tie a loop around 400000 lbs of locomotive using a 2 foot rope - Drediock on fat women

Offline Mayhem

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.damned.org
« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2022, 08:00:01 PM »

Test your power supply, if it test good than you know by process of elimination it's your Main Board and you need to Return or RMA it.

My Asrock X570 Steel legend motherboard came with an old firmware that didn't support the 3900x let alone the 5900x however my system would still power up and I got beep codes .... I still had to RMA my main board to get asrock to update the firmware.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2022, 08:03:19 PM by Mayhem »
"Destination anywhere! So Far Gone, I'm almost There."
The Damned! (Est. 1988) Damned if we do - No fun if we don't!
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline SIM

• Nickel Member
« Reply #35 on: November 05, 2022, 06:08:51 PM »
I heard back from the neighbor today.....

Mobo was dead. psu was checked and found to have voltage issues. The thinking is that the psu issues fried the mobo. Local shop helped neighbor RMA both and the system is now up and running.

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #36 on: November 05, 2022, 06:38:56 PM »
All's well that ends well.

Very good idea that the shop checked the PSU - else the replacement mobo probably would've gotten fried too.

Online Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #37 on: November 07, 2022, 07:15:37 PM »
Very rare issue.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #38 on: November 08, 2022, 01:30:54 AM »
Rare indeed but not unseen.

Good to hear that they could find the main culprit. PSU issues are very hard to find without expensive testers. A multimeter or a cheap pocket size tester only tell the voltages without any load and if a PSU fails with that it's already severely damaged. Quite some time ago I read that the equipment for proper testing would cost about $40000 (forty thousands). Prices may have come down but most likely not to tenners.

Some years back a friend bought a PC built by a guy who worked at a PC store. The computer was only a year old and some parts were still under warranty so everything should have been OK. Well, he seemed to have issues with it but nothing showed up when testing - also notice that the friend was a less computer savvy divorced guy... As the issues seemed to continue after a reinstall done by me I started studying the reviews. Found one that told that the PSU came in four power levels and that the weakest and strongest ones were built by a mid class OEM while the two in the middle were built by a cheaper OEM. Also it read that the mid pair used surprisingly cheap capacitors in a certain circuit. As the test example worked fine they didn't instantly doom the PSU, thinking that the designer might have measured that the caps were adequate for the purpose. Long story short, my friend had the mid model and as he RMA'd the PSU that very model wasn't available any longer! He got one with a similar name plus some extra letters which lead to think that the brand had chosen to change the design. And he had to pay some extra for that. No wonder the shop doesn't exist any longer...
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #39 on: November 10, 2022, 02:22:56 PM »
Very rare issue.

Not really, especially if you have 'dirty' power.