Author Topic: Veiwing Gauges  (Read 892 times)

Offline GenMata

• Copper Member
Veiwing Gauges
« on: November 16, 2022, 06:33:18 PM »
What is the best way to view your gauges while flying?
Anyway to set a key or button to toggle the view?

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
Re: Veiwing Gauges
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2022, 07:14:49 PM »
Are you using the numpad, hat switch, or something else?

You can customize each view using the arrow keys, and page up, page down, F10 will save it. The home key will return it to the default view, you have to hit F10 again if you want to start over on that view.

There are a few different ways you can do what you want, each with it's advantages, and disadvantages. For example you can try moving your head position back far enough to see the gauges in the default forward view (no switches pressed), then set the forward hat switch (8 numpad) to better see the gunsight.

If you would like we can meet up in the TA and I can help you set-up your views so that they work for you.

:salute
Sik

444th Air Mafia since Air Warrior
Proudly flying with VF-17

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2022, 08:16:42 PM »
There are two forward views in Aces High. The default view and Forward View (Numpad 8). You can set Forward View to glance at the gauges.

You can also increase your field of view however that makes the gauges smaller.

Offline GenMata

• Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2022, 08:20:51 PM »
I have T-flight hotas 4 and I'm using the 8 way Hat
I don't have any extra buttons to spare on my Hat switch. So I don't know where to set a view for gauges. I am using Page up & down and arrows but it takes to much time.

I also have a CH pro fighterstick and pedals.

Thanks the reply

Offline GenMata

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2022, 08:24:54 PM »
There are two forward views in Aces High. The default view and Forward View (Numpad 8). You can set Forward View to glance at the gauges.

You can also increase your field of view however that makes the gauges smaller.
I will try that. I hope to get good enough to play this game. I am practicing off line in hopes of getting good at something. I played a little years ago but didn't have the time to get good. 

I try to set the pad 8 key and you cant view all gauges and ammo in
a P38. Or I can't.

I set it for * but it doesn't show all gauges in p38

Can someone tell me how to watch the .ahf  films on Windows 10?
« Last Edit: November 16, 2022, 09:22:12 PM by GenMata »

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2022, 11:25:49 AM »
You have to use the AH film viewer to watch .ahf films. The film viewer is in the AH folder.

When you try using  numpad 8 did you adjust the view using the page down, and arrow keys? I just tried it in a 38J and I can see the gauges and ammo counters.

Just so we are on the same page the eight way hat switch is the same as the 1,4,7,8,9,6,3,2 on your numpad with 8 being the forward hat switch press, and 2 being your rear hat switch press.

Again if you would like to meet up in the TA I can better assist you in setting up your views, and any other questions you might have. I'm much better at talking someone through things than I am at typing them through it. As far as I know you don't need a paid subscription to use the TA.

Sik

Offline GenMata

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2022, 10:22:15 AM »
 For some reason i can barely fit all gauges on a view in a P38 
Pilots arm and flight yoke block ammo amounts if I shift to view those i can't see many gauges. 

I played this game some years back. I'm much older and never had time to learn the game well. I have a lot of time now. I'd like to see if I will be able to be more than canon fodder before i waste to my of your time.  I appreciate the help

AH has huge learning curve

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2022, 11:13:04 AM »
With the default view it can be difficult to see all the gauges but you can map a button or key to “look down” then use the hat switch to move the views around. Once you get a view you like save it with F10. It may take 3 hands to do this as you might need to page up/down and use the arrow keys to get the view you want and then save that view.

Go to map keys,views and map a key to “look down” once that’s done then use it in combination with the hat switch,I find it’s often easier to use the numpad views while making this adjustments. I have used this to look down below the wings in certain fighters and when you add in “look up” it gives you much more view options.

<S>

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2022, 11:24:49 AM »
AH does have a huge learning curve, that can't be denied. 

If I can help you enjoy the game more, then you're not wasting my time.

What FOV are you using?

Offline nopoop

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2022, 01:24:01 PM »
Thats interesting. I don't use my gauges at all.  I adjust my control panel so that the ammo counter/drop tank/bomb display is at the very bottom of my view. Adjusted for the plane I'm in. F10 to save all views.

Speed and altitude window in the upper right corner of the screen. I tried moving the window to the center of the dash panel, but it overlays the ammo counter on some planes, so the upper right is where I keep it.

I have mapped a "move head down" button so I can check ammo etc display in Spits. The yoke blocks it in the neutral position and the display is in two rows.

Also adjust the gunsight view to show only the bottom half of the sight to give a little better view over the nose.

nopoop

It's ALL about the fight..

Offline SNO

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2022, 01:56:50 PM »
See if adjusting your FOV up some to 95 then 100 if needed helps, with the trade off that everything outside the cockpit will be smaller. IIRC AH3 now starts with a FOV of 90 opposed to the older versions the default FOV was 104.
☩Schnee☩
Jagdgeschwader 11

Das-Beste-kommt-erst-noch

Offline nopoop

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2022, 02:15:21 PM »
Good point. I have a pov of 107. I found a pov of 90 made your target plane much bigger at the same distances. But my gunnery still didn't improve. Since it did't improve I went back to 107.
nopoop

It's ALL about the fight..

Offline GenMata

• Copper Member
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2022, 02:59:54 PM »
AH does have a huge learning curve, that can't be denied. 

If I can help you enjoy the game more, then you're not wasting my time.

What FOV are you using?

I probably should bring out the Ch fighterstick.  It has 3 4-way hats to set more views and more buttons i can program. I need the Ch throttle to top it off.

Offline GenMata

• Copper Member
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2022, 03:45:09 PM »
I set the Pov to 107 & pad-8 to gauges and * to ammo. This works.

For some reason my Hotas 4 often jumps out of zoom when firing of turning
Its very frustrating. Never had this issue with CH fs

I have staged missions DL'n. Maybe this will help me.

Thanks all

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2022, 04:55:20 PM »
For some reason i can barely fit all gauges on a view in a P38 
Pilots arm and flight yoke block ammo amounts if I shift to view those i can't see many gauges. 

I played this game some years back. I'm much older and never had time to learn the game well. I have a lot of time now. I'd like to see if I will be able to be more than canon fodder before i waste to my of your time.  I appreciate the help

AH has huge learning curve

Hi GenMata - You can remove the pilots body from the cockpit and that will help unblock the view to the '38s ammo counter.

Go to Options/Graphic Detail and check the "Disable Pilot Mesh" box.  That will remove him and you will have an empty cockpit.