Author Topic: Missing skins  (Read 987 times)

Offline Kassill

• Zinc Member
Missing skins
« on: November 19, 2022, 01:10:32 PM »
Returning player from AH2 days, did some skins not make it over to 3?  :(

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
Re: Missing skins
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2022, 01:32:27 PM »
There were a small few that got lost, but more likely is that the ones you are looking for have been updated and replaced.

Which skins were you looking for?
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline Kassill

• Zinc Member
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2022, 02:27:59 PM »
Seems like a lot less 38 skins in general. Specifically though I was looking for the P38J 82nd FG 95th FS "Joanie" that cactuskooler did.

But it also feels like the 38 got a VGU, is that correct? Seems different from what I remember.

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2022, 02:30:34 PM »
Seems like a lot less 38 skins in general. Specifically though I was looking for the P38J 82nd FG 95th FS "Joanie" that cactuskooler did.

But it also feels like the 38 got a VGU, is that correct? Seems different from what I remember.

The P-38's all have new 3D models. The old skins were not compatible with the new shape and were deleted.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline Kassill

• Zinc Member
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2022, 02:37:01 PM »
Yep, that would do it. Thanks for the help Devil  :salute

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2022, 03:28:59 PM »
The three P-38 skinners (Greebo, Oboe, and myself) are working on restoring the Lightning stable.   I have two coming soon.  Oboe does as well.  Greebo is throwing in one every month or so.

Welcome back.
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
325th VFG - "The Checkertails"
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline Kassill

• Zinc Member
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2022, 03:30:44 PM »
Very cool, thanks for all you guys do  :cheers:

And thank you

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2022, 03:36:07 PM »
Glad to do it.   
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
325th VFG - "The Checkertails"
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2022, 02:37:46 AM »
I've done 82nd FG skins for the P-38G and L but have yet to find good enough source material for a P-38J skin from that group. Ideally I'd want at least one photo that shows the overall aircraft with its ID and squadron codes and maybe a close up of any nose art. If someone can supply something like that I'd be happy to skin it. Profiles, art, models, modern warbirds and sklns from other games though are not things I would base a skin on, it needs to be WW2 photos of the actual plane.

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2022, 06:23:03 AM »
I've done 82nd FG skins for the P-38G and L but have yet to find good enough source material for a P-38J skin from that group. Ideally I'd want at least one photo that shows the overall aircraft with its ID and squadron codes and maybe a close up of any nose art. If someone can supply something like that I'd be happy to skin it. Profiles, art, models, modern warbirds and sklns from other games though are not things I would base a skin on, it needs to be WW2 photos of the actual plane.

This is the plane he is talking about.

https://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,317573.msg4129708.html#msg4129708

Has to be the same plane? Solid painted red tail from what is visible where the snow has come away and just the very edge of the tail in the non Winter photo is also solid red.
Solid colour tail it has to be #4.

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2022, 08:15:22 AM »
I don't think its likely the bottom plane is the same aircraft as the top.  Bottom pic appears to have the H2X "pathfinder" radar installation in the nose? 

« Last Edit: November 20, 2022, 08:19:24 AM by oboe »

Offline Kassill

• Zinc Member
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2022, 09:19:08 AM »

And they are excellent!

Thanks again for all the hard work by the team here  :salute

This is the plane he is talking about.

Yes! That's the one. Although I have never seen the second photo. Field conversion?

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2022, 09:45:41 AM »
Nice find on the photos Lyric1. A bit blurry to be ideal but Il think there is enough info to go on for me to make a skin.

Given and the doubts about the pathfinder nose and snow coverage vs NMF I don't think the second photo can really be relied on as a good source. The only real issue for me anyway on the first photo is the vertical tail colour. The standard scheme for a 95th FS is red for the outer horizontal and vertical tail surfaces with the second code letter or number in white repeated on the outer vertical tails. However I think the dark smudge on the extreme right of the photo is likely the shadow thrown by the horizontal tail and there's not enough vertical tail showing above the boom to tell one way of the other. If the tail was NMF then I would expect the factory airframe code to still be painted on it and as I don't know that code then red with a white "4" would be my preference. So I'll likely skin it that way unless better info can be found.

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2022, 12:44:31 PM »
I don't think its likely the bottom plane is the same aircraft as the top.  Bottom pic appears to have the H2X "pathfinder" radar installation in the nose? 

(Image removed from quote.)

Not a pathfinder the nose of the plane is covered in a canvas boot you can see the wrinkles on the underside of the canvas.
Also no ejection chutes on a pathfinder like this plane that is clearly visible below.

In addition these photos were taken by the same man I'm assuming Vernon A. Taylor is a mechanic of some sort.

http://www.82ndfightergroup.org/95-photos-taylor.html

Plus Vernon calls it the same plane from the 82nd fighter group site.

http://www.82ndfightergroup.org/95-planes-taylor.html

Found an image of the nose boot and no snow on it.

« Last Edit: November 20, 2022, 01:28:36 PM by lyric1 »

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2022, 01:28:45 PM »
Sorry, my bad!  I see, the canvas draped over the protruding gun barrels give the nose a squared off shape.

At first I thought "A4" referred to the squadron within the Group, but I did some research and learned the 82nd FG handled aircraft ID codes somewhat differently, having "A" "B" and "C" squad codes followed by an ID character to identify the aircraft within the squad...