Author Topic: Missing skins  (Read 1177 times)

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
Re: Missing skins
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2022, 01:56:37 PM »
Nice find on the photos Lyric1. A bit blurry to be ideal but Il think there is enough info to go on for me to make a skin.

Given and the doubts about the pathfinder nose and snow coverage vs NMF I don't think the second photo can really be relied on as a good source. The only real issue for me anyway on the first photo is the vertical tail colour. The standard scheme for a 95th FS is red for the outer horizontal and vertical tail surfaces with the second code letter or number in white repeated on the outer vertical tails. However I think the dark smudge on the extreme right of the photo is likely the shadow thrown by the horizontal tail and there's not enough vertical tail showing above the boom to tell one way of the other. If the tail was NMF then I would expect the factory airframe code to still be painted on it and as I don't know that code then red with a white "4" would be my preference. So I'll likely skin it that way unless better info can be found.

A few examples of a number code with solid painted tails.

It could also just be a solid red?

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2022, 06:32:31 PM »

I did some research and learned the 82nd FG handled aircraft ID codes somewhat differently, having "A" "B" and "C" squad codes followed by an ID character to identify the aircraft within the squad...

Gets Weider with them when they they started using playing card suites for each squadron.
Can't seem to find an image I had with numerous P-38's with them only one I can find is "Taffy"

Online SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2022, 07:46:55 PM »
I have to say that I really enjoy these type of conversations.   :rock

I'm not a skinner, nor do I have any asperations becoming one, but I am a history nerd that enjoys some of the more obtuse subject matter.

:cheers:
444th Air Mafia since Air Warrior
Proudly flying with VF-17

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2022, 04:55:28 PM »
This is the plane he is talking about.

https://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,317573.msg4129708.html#msg4129708

(Image removed from quote.)

Has to be the same plane? Solid painted red tail from what is visible where the snow has come away and just the very edge of the tail in the non Winter photo is also solid red.
Solid colour tail it has to be #4.

(Image removed from quote.)

Found a photo of the tail of this plane not covered in snow.

« Last Edit: December 11, 2022, 05:20:02 PM by lyric1 »