Author Topic: Things that I understand, and things that I don't  (Read 1280 times)

Offline nopoop

• Gold Member
Things that I understand, and things that I don't
« on: November 21, 2022, 06:45:43 PM »
Posted here because this is where fighter pilots hang. General discussion is mostly complaints about the war that never ends.

Nine months in after reupping after flying since 97 or 98.

I understand that I will never be the baddest pilot in the valley. Believe me I have tried.

I don't understand if I fly a brewster or a D9 my success rate is about the same.

I don't understand that if I throw out my first tour back, all of my tour scores are essentially the same.  IE: K/D around .49 and a K/S of .3 give or take.  It makes no difference what I fly. A Yak, an A5. Spit 5, 9, 16. A KI, F6F, D9... Makes no difference.

i understand that a co-alt merge with one bad guy I can hold my own.  Rare in the MA but it happens.  If it is one, even higher, I can hold my own.

I don't understand that I do ok at base defense where the cons have the altitude, and absolutely suck when I have the altitude over a bunch of base defenders

I don't understand when I'm in a furball which is rare, I do quite well.  That is why I miss them, hair on fire stuff.  Had the first in a long time last week and bagged 3.

I don't understand when I dive on a con, when I level out behind him, I am ALWAYS at D6.... Lol, it is NEVER D3.

I don't understand why I will have 3 or 4 sorties where I put some butts on my wall and then have 7 or 8 where I die without pulling the trigger..  Ugly..

I understand that my best bet is to get trackIR or the expensive alternative.

This game is fun when there is a hundred or better. Daytime, not so much.

In conclusion. It's all good.

nopoop

It's ALL about the fight..

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
Re: Things that I understand, and things that I don't
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2022, 08:02:17 PM »
If your ok with all of these, thats great as long as your having fun.

On the other hand, you can improve. The reason your the same in a brewster or a D9 is because you fly the same way, old habits and all that crap. It is very challenging to fly the plane AND the fight as opposed to flying the way you always do.

Post some of your films here of your fights. Some of these "aces" will go through them and tell you what they would have done and way, heck even some of us hacks like me will do that  :D Flying the same way, you dont "see" your mistakes, or other options you could have tried. Posting the films here will get you a bunch of feed back on either mistakes, or other things to try.

You could get with a trainer as well. Flying some fights with them will get you some input as well.

Thats what is great about this game, there is always something different to try. Some are good, some are in the "crash and burn" category, but you'll never KNOW the difference unless someone helps point out what your missing.

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2022, 11:26:56 PM »
  you'll never KNOW the difference unless someone helps point out what your missing.

That really sums it up..

I always thought it, a wonderful feeling to watch those over all the years hand me my rear after I helped them, or seriously trained them... all I've ever did was pass on what was taught to me...makes the game play better

And as batfink once said.... anyone can beat anyone on any given day...hahaha
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2022, 07:46:40 AM »
Film is useful for figuring out mysteries.

Offline TWCAxew

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2022, 05:38:54 AM »
Howdy Nopoop!

So what i am basically reading here is not flying the planes to there strengths. All planes work well in a certain niche. But with all planes the trick is keeping your Energie (E) up and have a strong awareness of your surroundings. Energy can mean either altitude or speed and you want to be able to trade your energie state between the two when needed. A better energie state will allow you to dominate your opponent. This is true whiles chasing a running opponent down or in a fierce duel what started of with an equal E state merge. You should always trying to improve your advantage over your opponent. I can keep on writing for hours about how to achieve a better E state than your opponent but i wont bore you with this.

Al tough i will tell you what really helped me grasping the ropes of the game and that was talking to myself out loud. Predicting what my opponent would do next. Where he was. Where he is gonna be next. What i should do and how to improve my position. This especially worked when dealing when on the dek dry and slow and being jumped by 3 - 6 guys. Asking myself the questions stated above and how to improve my position. How tiny this may be.

Vudu15 has a great collection of video's which helped me a ton getting better at the game. Back in the day we would fly very similar, so seeing films from another player and look where to improve really helped me. Al tough i fly very different these days i still recommend his films.
https://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,342794.0.html

And than there is the wiki. Al tough not being updated anymore there is a massive amount of information about the strengst and weaknesses of the planes. I used to study these pages by heart to know if i could out run them, out climb, higher top speed, turn rate at certain speeds, out roll and out accelerate them.
https://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/Aircraft_of_Aces_High_II

Great read about one of my fav planes by Bozon.
https://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,206568.0.html

Besides all this and learning combat maneuvers the most important thing is:

Having fun and getting in there! :cheers:

I hope you will have a blast and i hope some of this helps.

Cheers <S>,
Dutch
DutchVII / ULDutch
~~2019 KOTH/TOC Champion~~
https://ahevents.net/index.php/events/scenarios/about-scenarios
4 time scenario C.O. ~ As dew appears, As dew Vanishes, Such is my life, Everything in this world, Is but a dream within a dream.

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2022, 12:17:49 AM »
Howdy Nopoop!

So what i am basically reading here is not flying the planes to there strengths. All planes work well in a certain niche. But with all planes the trick is keeping your Energie (E) up and have a strong awareness of your surroundings. Energy can mean either altitude or speed and you want to be able to trade your energie state between the two when needed. A better energie state will allow you to dominate your opponent. This is true whiles chasing a running opponent down or in a fierce duel what started of with an equal E state merge. You should always trying to improve your advantage over your opponent. I can keep on writing for hours about how to achieve a better E state than your opponent but i wont bore you with this.

Al tough i will tell you what really helped me grasping the ropes of the game and that was talking to myself out loud. Predicting what my opponent would do next. Where he was. Where he is gonna be next. What i should do and how to improve my position. This especially worked when dealing when on the dek dry and slow and being jumped by 3 - 6 guys. Asking myself the questions stated above and how to improve my position. How tiny this may be.

Vudu15 has a great collection of video's which helped me a ton getting better at the game. Back in the day we would fly very similar, so seeing films from another player and look where to improve really helped me. Al tough i fly very different these days i still recommend his films.
https://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,342794.0.html

And than there is the wiki. Al tough not being updated anymore there is a massive amount of information about the strengst and weaknesses of the planes. I used to study these pages by heart to know if i could out run them, out climb, higher top speed, turn rate at certain speeds, out roll and out accelerate them.
https://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/Aircraft_of_Aces_High_II

Great read about one of my fav planes by Bozon.
https://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,206568.0.html

Besides all this and learning combat maneuvers the most important thing is:

Having fun and getting in there! :cheers:

I hope you will have a blast and i hope some of this helps.

Cheers <S>,
Dutch

You're are/ have the qualities to be an

AH Trainer

Good post !

<S>

TC
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline TWCAxew

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2022, 02:21:23 AM »
 Thanks TC :aok
DutchVII / ULDutch
~~2019 KOTH/TOC Champion~~
https://ahevents.net/index.php/events/scenarios/about-scenarios
4 time scenario C.O. ~ As dew appears, As dew Vanishes, Such is my life, Everything in this world, Is but a dream within a dream.

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2022, 03:22:21 AM »
Hopefully just to contribute without detracting there's a lot of talk about energy without qualifying that relative energy-states are important not absolute energy states. An energy advantage does not necessarily translate to immediate superiority. If you are trying to turn above your corner speed while your opponent is dangling around his you'll get out-turned. All depends what you're doing. Conversely it can dictate what you should do.

Also some attributes are of a more instantaneous nature while others announce over time (rates). For example the zoom climb of a Corsair in certain positions can out-do even a K-4 because the latter takes time to establish its sustained rate whereas the Corsair can convert energy quite readily. Such is the case for turning. Flopping over the top really slowly can out rate even a spit8 at corner speed if you've arranged your curves correctly. That's counter-intuitive if you 'stick to the book' too much.
<Salute> Aces High!

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2022, 06:53:14 AM »
Your SA improves with trackir and vr imo

Without either and only jstick views you are at a disadvantage imo

That said you best stay fast in ma if you want to land - kills or not

MNM is a great practice area

With its 4k cap its easy to be the highest plane

Watch how Shuffler uses his 38 there ..he stays high and fast

Same thing you need to do in ma with a D9 or some other fast plane

T&B is out in most cases in ma if you want to make it back to base...depends on the dar bar sizes...as most just see a good t&b fight as a chance to pick

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2022, 08:14:56 AM »
That said you best stay fast in ma if you want to land - kills or not

Who cares about landing. Get rid of expectation of outcome. Challenge yourself. Fight your best fight with best technique, fangs out, and leave great-looking ACM and deaths on your and your opponent's films to review later and make improvements. This is the biggest BS of score. No one cares about anyone else's and it doesn't mean much of anything beyond those fixated by abstract results. Every one of us knows when we've been out-flown. Find out why. Oftentimes people like `trogdor' will tell you with great honesty and insight.

No one gets better repeating the same narrow set of activities over and over. You just stagnate. Life's too short to spend in stagnation.
<Salute> Aces High!

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2022, 11:19:21 AM »
Who cares about landing. Get rid of expectation of outcome. Challenge yourself. Fight your best fight with best technique, fangs out, and leave great-looking ACM and deaths on your and your opponent's films to review later and make improvements. This is the biggest BS of score. No one cares about anyone else's and it doesn't mean much of anything beyond those fixated by abstract results. Every one of us knows when we've been out-flown. Find out why. Oftentimes people like `trogdor' will tell you with great honesty and insight.

No one gets better repeating the same narrow set of activities over and over. You just stagnate. Life's too short to spend in stagnation.

OP was complaining about his k/d ratio

If he wants that improved landing his kills is a step in that direction

Eagler

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2022, 01:24:44 PM »
OP was complaining about his k/d ratio

If he wants that improved landing his kills is a step in that direction

Eagler

Only in passing. I gathered he wanted to understand more. Better reached through dying than surviving.
<Salute> Aces High!

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2022, 04:25:47 PM »
Yes t&b in ma will produce a bunch of films to watch :)

Practice makes perfect and vr improves aim

Keep at it nopoop...you are better each time I run across you sir

<S>

Eagler

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2022, 09:08:24 PM »
Refer back to my post on your thread about your films a few threads down.

There are 4 main modes to fighters in AH.

1. The MA
2. Special events
3. 1v1
4. Monday night madness/KOTH - type of small skirmish

Understanding how to be successful in each of these modes takes a lot of time and practice. Some people are very successful in one mode vs the other. Some really great 1v1 sticks aren't that great in the MA and certainly moreso vice versa. Being skilled in special events like Combat Challenge, FSO, and Scenarios take a different type of skill and understanding than flying in the MA or small skirmish fights. Being great in 1v1 air combat is very important for all 4 modes, however not necessarily the most important in the MA or scenarios, or even small skirmishes.

First and foremost, it's all about knowing your plane and what you can get away with.
 Every plane has a strength and weakness. Some planes weaknesses are much worse than other planes weaknesses. Understanding plane selection will help you be more successful in each mode. A general rule of thumb for the MA is, you take a turn n burn or decent turning low alt plane for base defense (spit, ki84, 109, La7, Nik, Brew, FM2), and a higher alt E type plane for attacking bases, (P51, P47, p38, 190, C205, 109k/g14, F4U, tiff/temp) If you look at generalities, most foreign planes are defense planes and most allied planes are attack planes. You don't have to to stick to this, I'm just pointing out that they were designed for those specific abilities to allow them to be more successful in their situation.

Secondly, it's about understanding the fight.
In 1v1, You are both flying the same plane with no outside problems; this helps you learn the planes envelope and other evasive 1v1 tactics that can be utilized in other modes to gain sucess. In scenarios, you are bound to specific plane sets which means all planes have a relative performance standard and there is an objective to follow. Strenghts and weakness of the planes can be measured easier. In the MA, you could either be fighting a latewar plane set horde with bombers trying to take a field or fighting a furball vs fighters off a CV or in-between bases. Generally its easier to shoot down bombers and get a few kills than it is to get kills and stay alive in the furball. This is where you can improve K/D hit % and points. Going for the bombers over the fighters can help your success a lot. Planes of all different types and years with no actual objective and who knows what their motives are and how many people are helping you is what makes the MA very challenging, especially when you chose to fly a plane with a greater weakness in a given situation.

Thirdly, understanding what is fun to you vs what you label as successful. This is the hardest concept I believe because it involves emotion. Are you disciplined enough to be your idea of successful over your desire to want to have fun. Example- do you chase a guy to the deck you are trying to shoot, or do you pull off once too deep understanding that other cons may be attempting to engage you if you get too low. It's very fun to chase them, get tangled up in a 1v1, and try to kill them, verse not chasing and pulling off to avoid other planes diving on you. Your fun = I should 1v1 this guy no matter who is around, but your idea of successfulness = I should pull off and regain my superior alt advantage over the rest of the field. Your fun = I can try to outrun the spit in my 190 vs flying straight and extending away knowing you probably won't be able to out turn them. It's boring to run, but it's successful.  What do you choose? This type of decision can be the difference between landing kills or getting tangled up and ganged in the fight. Knowing when to be aggressive vs when to pull off is such an important concept to aircombat in the MA and Scenarios. In small skirmishes you are constantly in a fight and not worried about K/D, but in the MA if you want to land more kills, you have to be patient and know when to pull off and how to escape the fight/horde coming at you before you get ganged. It's obviously easier to escape the fight in a late war attack E plane, which is why so many people fly them to avoid their SA failures and easily "extend" away. That's why I give 190D and most P51 pilots a hard time as running away is the easiest form of Aircombat albeit you do have to be patient and disciplined not to turn with planes you can't beat 1v1. This is why many 1V1 masters dont have the best fighter stats in the MA. Many great 1v1 fighters don't have the best SA, they get tangled up in 1v1s and often ganged, many also fly far inferior planes that make it challenging to escape the fight without other friendlies around. Fun vs Successful and the in-between is what you make it.

Lastly, cause this is getting long, my favorite. Learning defense tactics.
So many of my kills come from the overshoot. You will always have planes diving on you and learning how to counter them not only saves you, but gives you a chance to get some shots off and hurt them or take them down. This is a key concept in all 4 modes. Reversing planes can keep you alive so much longer. You can drag a plane out to a 1v1, reverse them, gain the advantage and get the kill. It opens the door for a lot more kills. If you are able to get defensive kills it helps your K/D and K/S a lot. It helps you stay alive in the skirmish. It helps you stay alive in the scenario when a guy is chasing you and you have no choice but to turn. It all comes down to SA and execution of the overshoot.

If you want to have a good K/D in the MA and scenarios. Focus on getting 3/4 kills a sortie and landing about half of them. In skirmishes and 1v1, focus on defense and pushing the plane to full envelope and eventually your skills will come together to be "successful" in all 4 modes while still having fun.  :airplane: :joystick:

« Last Edit: December 22, 2022, 09:21:01 PM by DmonSlyr »
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2022, 01:34:25 AM »
Good points. There are high-scorers in the MA whose ACM is pathetic. Essentially they play the arena.

With the ACM-focussed players it's not so much they have poor SA but they start a prolonged fight with two cons and a third and fourth show up and breaking off the earlier cons makes no difference at this point, you just have to make them all work for it. Don't do that if not getting much practice at landing or smack-talk bothers you  :rofl

Why don't you teach him the BRD Violator?
<Salute> Aces High!