Author Topic: Things that I understand, and things that I don't  (Read 1294 times)

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
Re: Things that I understand, and things that I don't
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2022, 12:29:42 PM »
Hopefully just to contribute without detracting there's a lot of talk about energy without qualifying that relative energy-states are important not absolute energy states. An energy advantage does not necessarily translate to immediate superiority. If you are trying to turn above your corner speed while your opponent is dangling around his you'll get out-turned. All depends what you're doing. Conversely it can dictate what you should do.

Also some attributes are of a more instantaneous nature while others announce over time (rates). For example the zoom climb of a Corsair in certain positions can out-do even a K-4 because the latter takes time to establish its sustained rate whereas the Corsair can convert energy quite readily. Such is the case for turning. Flopping over the top really slowly can out rate even a spit8 at corner speed if you've arranged your curves correctly. That's counter-intuitive if you 'stick to the book' too much.

:aok
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
Re: Things that I understand, and things that I don't
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2022, 02:23:00 PM »
Good points. There are high-scorers in the MA whose ACM is pathetic. Essentially they play the arena.

With the ACM-focussed players it's not so much they have poor SA but they start a prolonged fight with two cons and a third and fourth show up and breaking off the earlier cons makes no difference at this point, you just have to make them all work for it. Don't do that if not getting much practice at landing or smack-talk bothers you  :rofl

Why don't you teach him the BRD Violator?

Yup, the gang is the worst nightmare for us who enjoy a duel. No reason for 3-5 to be on one plane anyhow  :old: that makes the MA extremely difficult for the amount of time it takes to get to the fight and why it's so important not to chase and get tangled up in a stupid situation.

Here is a quick basic BRD video. A really good one to practice. It's really easy to practice this in the matchplay vs the bots.

The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion