Author Topic: F-35 Landed, _Then_ Crashed, Pilot Ejected  (Read 1996 times)

Offline BoilerDown

• Silver Member
F-35 Landed, _Then_ Crashed, Pilot Ejected
« on: December 15, 2022, 03:15:36 PM »
https://twitter.com/houstonairw/status/1603469769407139842

Seems really weird. Like the throttle didn't work and maybe the pilot knows (speculating here) that ejecting cuts the engine? Because if the aircraft didn't settle right when it did he would have been at risk of being sucked into the engine via his parachute. And being run over. Or both.

A twitter comment says the F-35 can automatically eject the pilot on its own, as well. Not sure if true.
Boildown

This is the Captain.  We have a lil' problem with our entry sequence so we may experience some slight turbulence and then... explode.

Boildown is Twitching: http://www.twitch.tv/boildown

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
Re: F-35 Landed, _Then_ Crashed, Pilot Ejected
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2022, 07:32:39 PM »
Maybe the plane was disgusted with his landing.

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2022, 08:40:09 PM »
Maybe the plane was disgusted with his landing.

Maybe the pilot was thinking about the potential for a big fireball.

- oldman

Offline BoilerDown

• Silver Member
Boildown

This is the Captain.  We have a lil' problem with our entry sequence so we may experience some slight turbulence and then... explode.

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2022, 09:44:32 PM »
Maybe the pilot was thinking about the potential for a big fireball.

- oldman

Yeah that is what I am thinking too.

A little more info:

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/pilot-ejects-from-f-35-at-fort-worth-joint-reserve-base/3149776

Interesting how the journalist wrote "the pilot was ejected." Not "the pilot ejected". Could be nothin, but it makes it sound like he didn't do it himself.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2022, 09:51:49 PM »
Interesting how the journalist wrote "the pilot was ejected." Not "the pilot ejected". Could be nothin, but it makes it sound like he didn't do it himself.

Yeah, I heard somebody report on the news today that there was some type of fail-safe that would automatically eject the pilot.  :O
I wouldn't hold a whole lot of faith on that one though.

Coogan
From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:
AHIII: Coogan
RDR2: Coogan_Bear
MSFS-2020: Coogan Bear

Offline Rocco

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2022, 10:43:07 PM »
F-35B has an auto ejection seat that triggers during a specific engine failure in hover mode. Guess it can pitch down so fast the pilot can't react in time to punch out. Kinda sounds like what happened.

It's interesting the pilot didn't eject until the second the aircraft was wings level. My guess is either the pilot or the auto eject was waiting until favourable ejection envelope.
Ingame : AKRocco

Arabian Knights

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2022, 10:24:38 AM »
It's interesting the pilot didn't eject until the second the aircraft was wings level. My guess is either the pilot or the auto eject was waiting until favourable ejection envelope.

Watching the video yesterday that was my thought as well. I figured the onboard computer held the ejection until a survivable situation existed. I assumed it was pilot initiated but computer delayed.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2022, 05:55:40 PM »

0 (altitude) / 0 (airspeed) ejection seats have been around for quite some time, with later ones with advanced gyro stabilization systems that get the escape vector going in a safe direction, so the pilot can eject in steep angles of bank and survive.  It’ll be interesting to see how this one is analyzed and presented after the fact.  I was feeling the need to reach for the handles when the nose pitched down and broke the nose gear off.  Additionally, it appears the descent rate was a tad high.  But, again, when the accident investigation report comes out, a lot of curious questions should be answered.

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2022, 09:19:17 AM »
Who’s going to look into it?
Air Force of course but will the NTSB be involved?
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline BoilerDown

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2022, 09:57:13 AM »

From the link I posted earlier:

At the Pentagon, a spokesman said that the aircraft was being flown at the time of the crash by a U.S. government pilot, although it had not been transferred to the military yet by manufacturer Lockheed Martin.

So if it wasn't in the military's hands yet, I'd guess NTSB.
Boildown

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2022, 10:00:11 AM »

Each branch of the military has an accident investigation team.  Possibly Navy for this one?  All depends on who has operational control at the time of a crash.

On a military installation and no fatalities.  Most likely, no NTSB involvement.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2022, 10:03:53 AM by Puma44 »

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline -gg-

• Silver Member
      • IceCreamOnMars
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2022, 08:34:05 AM »
It's possible that the pilot became disabled from a vax injury. Maybe as he was landing he slumped forward on the controls and spun in.

Icecreamonmars.com. ICOM for short.

Offline Tig

• Nickel Member
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2022, 09:23:58 AM »
Please tell me this is sarcasm.  :noid
He made corrective inputs as best he could, and besides, the 35 has a side fly by wire stick like the F-16. It would have gone forward harder if he had "slumped forward on the controls."
That looks very much like a lift fan failure, the nose just dropped, it didn't accelerate forward.
Turn n' Burn!

Offline MiloMorai

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2022, 11:31:17 AM »
Please tell me this is sarcasm.  :noid
He made corrective inputs as best he could, and besides, the 35 has a side fly by wire stick like the F-16. It would have gone forward harder if he had "slumped forward on the controls."
That looks very much like a lift fan failure, the nose just dropped, it didn't accelerate forward.
No just clueless.