Author Topic: Electric hot water heater replacement advice  (Read 1513 times)

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
Electric hot water heater replacement advice
« on: December 25, 2022, 11:22:29 AM »
Time to replace the 2009 GE 40 gal hot water heater..

The reviews for the AO Smith heaters at lowes are as scary as the Rheem reviews at home depot

Any suggestions/experiences?

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline knorB

• Nickel Member

Online Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
Re: Electric hot water heater replacement advice
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2022, 11:57:45 AM »
I bought a reliance natural gas from a local overpriced hardware store, so far its fine. The diameter of the water heater was several inches larger since that last one I bought was from sears and all the sears around here have all went out of business, so it was a tight fit in the hole where the water heater fits at. I didnt know this until went to put it in. I stayed away from lowes and home depot specifically because of the reviews online. There were too many junk ones mixed in to take a chance with it. Menards has them also and were cheaper, buy after cross referencing them they are worse then lowes, they were a value piece of crap water heater
See Rule 19- Do not place sausage on pizza.
I am No-Sausage-On-Pizza-Wad.
Das Funkillah - I kill hangers, therefore I am a funkiller. Coming to a vulchfest near you.
You cant tie a loop around 400000 lbs of locomotive using a 2 foot rope - Drediock on fat women

Offline sparky127

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2022, 12:36:46 PM »
Hot water heater.  If the water is hot, why are you heating it?

Offline -gg-

• Silver Member
      • IceCreamOnMars
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2022, 12:53:16 PM »
My water heater just went out yesterday. Ice water showers now until I can get it replaced or fixed.
Icecreamonmars.com. ICOM for short.

Offline SNO

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2022, 01:31:48 PM »
Check with your local hvac dealer and compare the price as well as the model numbers as many big box stores have proprietary models of the brand names only sold to them that are sometimes of less quality. With the information gathered you could make an informed decision that suits you. The dealers around here would sell you the unit only if you wanted to install it yourself.
☩Schnee☩
Jagdgeschwader 11

Das-Beste-kommt-erst-noch

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2022, 02:53:06 PM »
Had a gas tank water heater at our old home and now have a tankless.   You might want to consider the opportunity to switch as well.   
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2022, 04:49:46 PM »
used to do installation for home depot and Lowe. about 30% of the time they delivered the wrong merchandise or it was damaged.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2022, 05:26:28 PM »
AO Smith is often rated just below Rheem, which on many charts is the number one water heater.

I have a Enviro-temp 50 gallon electric. I have had it for 6 years and no problems at all. Comes with a 9 year warranty.

80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2022, 10:15:54 AM »
A consideration for replacement. Do you have hard or soft water? If soft water then look for best ratings you can find locally as you will likely be keeping it a good long while. If you have hard water then look for economy because you'll be replacing it in less than 10 years due to calcification of the heating element. A warranty is also a consideration.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2022, 06:09:36 PM »
If it’s the heater element it’s an easy cheap fix.Most hi-cap water heaters have 2 elements. If you a just a bit handy you can replace both in 15 minutes for less than 30 bucks.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Utilitech-Water-Heater-Screw-Element/3693204

How to change the element

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UXYhfvXG9Q
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Online Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2022, 06:32:35 PM »
Thats if your thermostat is still good too
See Rule 19- Do not place sausage on pizza.
I am No-Sausage-On-Pizza-Wad.
Das Funkillah - I kill hangers, therefore I am a funkiller. Coming to a vulchfest near you.
You cant tie a loop around 400000 lbs of locomotive using a 2 foot rope - Drediock on fat women

Offline -gg-

• Silver Member
      • IceCreamOnMars
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2022, 06:47:55 PM »
I was able to get my water heater going again today. Turns out that there's a reset switch inside on the thermostat. So far it's been working fine. I'm just wondering what made it trip. Bit hey, I'll take it. Ice showers are not fun

Icecreamonmars.com. ICOM for short.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2022, 09:06:28 PM »
Lowes sells a kit with 2 rods and 2 thermostats too.  About $35.

Might be worth checking those out on the old one before you drop $500 on a new heater.

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2022, 11:32:57 PM »
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.