Author Topic: Electric hot water heater replacement advice  (Read 1262 times)

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
Re: Electric hot water heater replacement advice
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2022, 11:53:42 PM »
Mine's pretty old but I'll use it until it stops getting hot. Replaced an over pressure valve a couple of years ago because it started leaking there. No trouble after that. May consider a no tank heater when it finally gives up the ghost.
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2022, 05:18:18 AM »
Use it until the tank is leaking. The elements and stats are a cheap and easy fix if you're halfway handy with a screwdriver. Just remember to kill the electric! And the water! As long as the water is shut off you should be able to change an element without draining the tank. Pull the old one out and put the new one in quickly. You may get a single burp. As long as your valves hold tight the tank will hold a vacuum. Like holding your finger on the end of a straw.

If you have hard water and can get replacement anode rods for your heater, replacing that every so many years can extend the life of the tank significantly. Check with your manufacturer. If your tank has one its attached to the nut sticking out the middle of the top of the heater. If you don't have clearance above to pull it out you're not gonna be able to do this.

Another good practice is to drain a few gallons of water out of the bottom drain every once in a while. Couple times a year. This helps remove sediment from the bottom of the tank that will attack the metal there and eventually rot it out. If you do this, get yourself a boiler drain cap. These valves are notorious for not turning off completely when you're done and will drip.

As Shuffler said, Rheem and AO Smith are better brands.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2022, 05:27:35 AM »
Oh and the T&P (temperature and pressure) valve leak thing. That can often times be cured too. The temperature side has a fuseable link that melts when the water might get too hot. It's a one and done. No resetting it. If this has happened--check your stats. The water has gotten unsafely hot.

The pressure side uses a spring holding a seal against a seat. If you have pressure changes, like from a well system, that works in and out. Over time crud can build up on the seat. You can try pulling up slightly on the lever and flushing some water through it. The idea is to clean out the crud. It may re-seat and you're good to go. If not, replace the valve.

That valve is VERY important to the safety of your home! Never ever even think about plugging it off! The tank could explode taking off like a rocket right through your roof. Seriously.

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2022, 06:08:45 AM »
Mine's pretty old but I'll use it until it stops getting hot.
Our tank is some 28 years old and last summer we slowly started getting annoyingly cool showers. It appeared that the mixing valve had failed. As it takes care of half a dozen tasks, replacing it was more recommendable than just fixing the temperature controller. And the price was decent, the plumber came to diagnose the issue the same morning and by noon he had fetched the spare part and replaced it. Total cost was below 300, the spare is about 200. And a new similar heater is about 1500 plus at least half a day for installing, not to mention the hassle of clearing the path down to the back of the cellar!
« Last Edit: December 27, 2022, 06:11:41 AM by Bizman »
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline sparky127

• Nickel Member
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2022, 08:54:40 AM »
On demand water heaters are not the best solution for a house full of kids doing laundry and taking showers all day. But if you're two people doing a couple loads a week it might save you a couple of bucks.  Some people only know their shower is over when the hot water runs out though...

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2022, 05:43:10 PM »
Oh and the T&P (temperature and pressure) valve leak thing. That can often times be cured too. The temperature side has a fuseable link that melts when the water might get too hot. It's a one and done. No resetting it. If this has happened--check your stats. The water has gotten unsafely hot.

The pressure side uses a spring holding a seal against a seat. If you have pressure changes, like from a well system, that works in and out. Over time crud can build up on the seat. You can try pulling up slightly on the lever and flushing some water through it. The idea is to clean out the crud. It may re-seat and you're good to go. If not, replace the valve.

That valve is VERY important to the safety of your home! Never ever even think about plugging it off! The tank could explode taking off like a rocket right through your roof. Seriously.

Did you see that particular mythbusters episode?
See Rule 19- Do not place sausage on pizza.
I am No-Sausage-On-Pizza-Wad.
Das Funkillah - I kill hangers, therefore I am a funkiller. Coming to a vulchfest near you.
You cant tie a loop around 400000 lbs of locomotive using a 2 foot rope - Drediock on fat women

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2022, 06:28:34 PM »
On demand water heaters are not the best solution for a house full of kids doing laundry and taking showers all day. But if you're two people doing a couple loads a week it might save you a couple of bucks.  Some people only know their shower is over when the hot water runs out though...

:rofl   Yeah, no.   
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2022, 11:28:34 PM »
Did you see that particular mythbusters episode?
Hehe. They thought it was so cool they did that one like 3 different times. My favorite was when they blew up the cement truck!

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2022, 06:56:19 AM »
When they tried the first short stubby water heater and all it did was hiccup when it blew, you could see the disappointment in their faces when it happened.

Now the big one at the end....BOOOM  :rofl
See Rule 19- Do not place sausage on pizza.
I am No-Sausage-On-Pizza-Wad.
Das Funkillah - I kill hangers, therefore I am a funkiller. Coming to a vulchfest near you.
You cant tie a loop around 400000 lbs of locomotive using a 2 foot rope - Drediock on fat women

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2023, 06:53:42 AM »
Thanks for the info and ideas guys

<S>

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals