Author Topic: The Heat Is On!  (Read 1067 times)

Offline Dadtallica

• Silver Member
Re: The Heat Is On!
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2023, 06:54:06 AM »
The B29 is a plane you do this in.

The physics are modeled well in this game. flight models, aero, weight,effect, gravity on both planes and bullets. Some of the "details" are removed to make the game fun, and not a chore like adjusting cowl vents or throttle management so you dont blow an engine and so on.

Revving up the engine before releasing the brakes just gives you a few feet of extra runway space (more so in jets as they spool up much slower), but it has no impact on rate of climb after you get airborne.

Yes agree for sure. I do it in anything I am in that has WEP and is heavy. I like to fly P47’s and spoil vehicle hangers for example. Same in Lancs for all things brick and mortar. Thanks to runway trees, the hog needs the push. You can probably tell by my username that I enjoy the heavier side of things.  :rock

This should dispel some myths perhaps. I feel what we discovered here is what we already knew so to speak. Power to max in the runaway gives you a boost but it has little to do with the engine temperature, semantics and chicken eggs aside. Yes?
Back in 2022 after a loooooong break from 2010. Old name Ratpack, same for the BBS.

Squad I did the most tours with were the Excaliburs then The 172nd Rabid Dogs. Still trying to talk Illigaf, Coola, Oldman22, and Joecrow into coming back instead of being boring old farts!

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
Re: The Heat Is On!
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2023, 11:53:25 AM »
I never know how deep the realism is in regard to the real life vs. the simulation. I have many questions but today’s is about engine temperature.

• How closely models is it?
  • Does “warming up engines” make a big difference?
  • Is the same for fighters and bombers?

If you have any other nuggets of wisdom to add for this topic then please do!

Keep in mind that it's a game, not a simulation.  None of the aircraft that I've seen in this game or flown in this game have working cowl flaps, so engine cooling is not modeled correctly if at all.  If you run weep the engine heats up and crosses the redline and you lose WEP.  That's not realistic.  Like I said, it's a game.
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes
http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/113th_Lucky_Strikes