Author Topic: D.P.S. Radius & G  (Read 579 times)

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
D.P.S. Radius & G
« on: January 03, 2023, 07:00:23 AM »
I may have asked this before or even someone told me recently or years ago but I lost a lot of data in a recent HD-crash and take long breaks. I'm also not posting here to preclude Badboy from contributing it just seemed relevant to start a new thread.

It may be that I've been carrying an unfortunate misassumption around with my ACM for some considerable time, causing inner confusion, a widening conflict between convention and innovation and general disturbance in the force. What I like to do in such cases is make my own tools and do my own testing.

Can someone tell me, including if the following is correct:

Sustained turn rate is essentially the balance point between lift drag and thrust (at a given mass) measured in degrees per second when in a sustained flat turn. That could simply be converted into d.p.s. on a stopwatch and simple division, correct?

G is the resultant outward force as measured by an instrument which presumable has a given mass which distorts under downwards load (relative to the airframe) and indicating that in orders of ordinary standing on the ground manner (1G) or in AH a simulated version of?

Using those together I can presumably derive the radius or diameter of such a flat turn in feet? Is there a formula? I think I read that mass doesn't effect the onset of stall but it feels like a lower mass will mean a 'better' turn because less mechanical work, correct?

A 'better' turn would be defined as what combination of tighter and more d.p.s?

Sorry for ubernoobness. It's a long, sad tale of dyslexia, dyscalculia and a long conflict between convention and self-discovery.
"Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened" - Dr. Seuss

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
Re: D.P.S. Radius & G
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2023, 08:56:34 AM »
You think you have it bad?  No one has ever been able to explain those energy curve diagrams in a way that I can understand or use, lol.   I get the underlying concepts, but just cannot read those damn things.
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2023, 09:24:25 AM »
Here is a link to Aerodynamics for Naval Aviators. It shows you the math of turn performance and explains everything about the doghouse plots.

https://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/handbooks_manuals/aviation/media/00-80t-80.pdf

This link is the basic turn performance information I wrote for new players on the training site.

http://trainers.hitechcreations.com/89-tactics/advanced-flight-concepts/1076-turning
« Last Edit: January 03, 2023, 09:28:18 AM by FLS »

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2023, 10:39:54 AM »
Here is a link...

Thank you, I think that should do it. Greg from Greg's Planes and Automobiles has mentioned that Naval manual. He keeps in his Patreon section he says. Wonder if he's ever flown here?

You should also apply for a pay rise FLS.

You think you have it bad?  No one has ever been able to explain those energy curve diagrams in a way that I can understand or use, lol.   I get the underlying concepts, but just cannot read those damn things.

Yes that's why neither one of us can fly our way out of a paper bag Shane  :old:
"Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened" - Dr. Seuss

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2023, 06:46:09 AM »
Here is a link to Aerodynamics for Naval Aviators. It shows you the math of turn performance and explains everything about the doghouse plots.

https://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/handbooks_manuals/aviation/media/00-80t-80.pdf

This link is the basic turn performance information I wrote for new players on the training site.

http://trainers.hitechcreations.com/89-tactics/advanced-flight-concepts/1076-turning

Good work, FLS!  Thank you for continuing and for the write up, I enjoyed reading over it...

:salute  &   :cheers:

TC
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC