Author Topic: Need help with RTX 3060  (Read 1174 times)

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
Re: Need help with RTX 3060
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2023, 06:07:33 AM »
That would make sense. With such an old bios the mobo is like... What the heck is this thing? Hopefully a bios update will fix it. But you'll still need to go through the steps I listed about changing the cards. If you don't you'll have issues for sure.

So for now I'd add:

Put the AMD card back in.

Download the bios update.

Follow instructions, my Asus usually requires renaming the file.

Transfer that file to a thumb drive. I use a small one with only the bios file on it.

Follow instructions for the update in your mobo manual. You may have to plug the thumb drive into a certain USB port.

Once you're in the bios it's usually a good idea to restore defaults before flashing a new bios so do that and restart the PC.

Back in the bios follow instructions in the manual for flashing the new bios and update it. This might take a few minutes and not seem like anything is happening. Whatever you do, don't turn off the PC or interrupt it.

Once that's done go thru the steps I listed using DDU to get rid of all the AMD stuff before switching to the new card.

After all that I hope you're up and running.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline TWCAxew

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2023, 06:38:18 AM »
Ps: if you wonder how you can make your USB bootable:

Go to My Computer and locate the drive that you want to use for updating the BIOS. Right-click on the Disk and select the Properties option. From this Window, locate the File System option and select the FAT32 option. Click the Start button to start the formatting process.
DutchVII / ULDutch
~~2019 KOTH/TOC Champion~~
https://ahevents.net/index.php/events/scenarios/about-scenarios
4 time scenario C.O. ~ As dew appears, As dew Vanishes, Such is my life, Everything in this world, Is but a dream within a dream.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2023, 07:34:03 AM »
If you're not familiar with making a bootable stick, the motherboard in question supports other methods, too, even from within Windows: https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1155/P8Z77-V_PRO/E7198_P8Z77-V_PRO.pdf?model=p8z77v_pro#p107
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2023, 08:59:03 AM »
If you're not familiar with making a bootable stick, the motherboard in question supports other methods, too, even from within Windows: https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1155/P8Z77-V_PRO/E7198_P8Z77-V_PRO.pdf?model=p8z77v_pro#p107

TBH I don't ever recall that asus update program finding a single update for anything even running it as I'm looking at new updates on the support site! I've always used the flash drive method to update my bios.
"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2023, 12:34:51 PM »
I've updated bioses both from a bootable and non bootable USB stick, the latter being triggered either from Windows or UEFI, and also used the motherboard update program in Windows, some of which download a new bios. And used a dedicated bios update program either in Windows or in UEFI, again either self downloading or requiring the new bios been downloaded and unzipped. Lots of variables there.

Not too long ago there was a motherboard that despite finding a new bios through the UEFI update program could not install it, neither did it accept the latest bios when downloaded through Windows. But I managed to get it a couple of versions forward with the latter method. Can't remember the brand, might have been AsRock.

Anyhow, usually any of the methods provided by the manufacturer work. The Windows version is the least effort way.
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline 1Cane

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2023, 10:49:43 AM »
I am stopped for now until new card arrives. To add salt to the wound one of my moniters has died.
AkCaine

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2023, 12:02:18 PM »
I am stopped for now until new card arrives. To add salt to the wound one of my moniters has died.
No way!

Just in case, let me tell you this true story: I was called to diagnose a dead monitor and was asked to take with me a spare - which I of course forgot! Anyhow, the computer booted properly, all the normal beeps and jingles were audible but the screen was totally dead. No led, no nothing. There was the mom and dad, both in their fifties or so, and the daughter and her boyfriend, digi-natives in their twenties. All four said that the cables are all good, triple checked by all of them. Well, I started with the VGA cable, made sure it was properly secured with the screws at both ends, wiggled it to find out if it's broken somewhere but to no avail. Then I checked the power cord. Properly seated in the wall socket, yes. And obviously also properly plugged into the monitor as the socket was facing down and gravity would have dropped it on the table if it was loose... Well, I grabbed the cord at the monitor end and lo and behold I could lift it half an inch inside the socket! Four people had shared the opinion that all cables were properly seated which I also had asked on the phone. Lesson to learn: Never believe your eyes only, friction can do funny tricks!

Kotisivuni

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2023, 04:28:36 PM »
No way!

Just in case, let me tell you this true story: I was called to diagnose a dead monitor and was asked to take with me a spare - which I of course forgot! Anyhow, the computer booted properly, all the normal beeps and jingles were audible but the screen was totally dead. No led, no nothing. There was the mom and dad, both in their fifties or so, and the daughter and her boyfriend, digi-natives in their twenties. All four said that the cables are all good, triple checked by all of them. Well, I started with the VGA cable, made sure it was properly secured with the screws at both ends, wiggled it to find out if it's broken somewhere but to no avail. Then I checked the power cord. Properly seated in the wall socket, yes. And obviously also properly plugged into the monitor as the socket was facing down and gravity would have dropped it on the table if it was loose... Well, I grabbed the cord at the monitor end and lo and behold I could lift it half an inch inside the socket! Four people had shared the opinion that all cables were properly seated which I also had asked on the phone. Lesson to learn: Never believe your eyes only, friction can do funny tricks!

Have had that happen. Someone had their internet not working but failed troubleshoot past their modem. Their firewall lost power because the slip in plug in the power adapter wasnt seated all the way. Looked like it was, but just for fun I pushed them together just in case. Felt it snap together and looked to see the LED's lit back up
See Rule 19- Do not place sausage on pizza.
I am No-Sausage-On-Pizza-Wad.
Das Funkillah - I kill hangers, therefore I am a funkiller. Coming to a vulchfest near you.
You cant tie a loop around 400000 lbs of locomotive using a 2 foot rope - Drediock on fat women

Offline 1Cane

• Silver Member
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2023, 11:43:50 AM »
I finally got a new mobo and installed a RTX 3060.Its like a new game. The difference in the sky is amazing! Of course I tried to play with settings and now I can't get gamma to adjust in game. Any advice other than if it's not broke don't fix it! I did a new download over old game with no effect. Would a complete uninstall reinstall fix issue?
 :joystick: :joystick:
AkCaine

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2023, 12:48:06 PM »
If you're in VR the gamma setting won't do anything. Otherwise, one thing you can try in the NVidia control panel is to enable gamma correction, that will brighten things up a bit. In game I also have post processing turned on but everything there unchecked. That helps too.

Admit I have played the game on a monitor in quite a while.

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline 1Cane

• Silver Member
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2023, 09:01:58 AM »
Really don't know what I did but it works fine now. Rethinking my future as a computer tech :x :x
AkCaine