Author Topic: After 14 years away, a bit impressed  (Read 2441 times)

Offline Animl-AW

• Silver Member
      • Animl - YouTube
Re: After 14 years away, a bit impressed
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2023, 06:58:17 PM »
IIRC, and I most certainly do, the Pizza map was CptTrip's (aka AKWabbit) idea. The map loved to be hated by many.

I think it was around when I left. Honestly, I don't care if it's shaped like a pretzel.
Windows 11 Gaming Tweaks
https://imgur.com/oEtVMfP

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2023, 11:18:05 PM »
I liked that map. And not just because I had a small part in inflicting it on everyone.
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline Trip01

• Copper Member
« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2023, 06:43:10 AM »

If you have the $$$ please experience AH in VR

It's the best implementation of it in any a2a ww2 sim going today imo

I haven't played AH in more than a decade but I do now have a VR setup. I've been playing IL2. What makes AH better?

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2023, 07:06:08 AM »
With AH you can still use the joystick views with VR

This way you can check your views without breaking your neck..best of both worlds imo

Plus spotting out of icon range is best for me in AH

Can't spot hardly anything in IL2 or DCS in VR

If you haven't tried VR in AH you are missing the best AH experience imo

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2023, 10:28:42 AM »
Wow. As I live and breath. Animal makes a return. We are truly blessed this week. Welcome back Animal.
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2023, 10:46:39 AM »

This way you can check your views without breaking your neck..best of both worlds imo

Plus spotting out of icon range is best for me in AH

Can't spot hardly anything in IL2 or DCS in VR

Eagler

That's long been a complaint of VR vs Head Tracking. There is an app that will let you do something similar for other games. Had a Rift and a Quest 2. Gave 'em up. The Quest 2 has a small sweet spot exacerbated by greater distance between the eye and lens due to wearing corrective lenses. I've never worn contacts but they would likely help with that.

Offline Trip01

• Copper Member
« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2023, 01:23:21 PM »

[...]

There's a 3rd party app that lets you check 6 in IL2 without moving your head.

I've no doubt that AH in VR is better than AH through the letterbox, the question is whether it's better than IL2 or DCS.

I suppose it won't cost me anything to find out ;)

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2023, 07:33:33 PM »
VR NeckSafer is the program if you're on steam. XR NeckSafer if you're running OpenXR/Opencomposite. I've recently got VRNS working with AH with steam. AH it's apparently too ancient to run on OpenXR. I use XRNS for IL2 and MSFS. Works kinda like TIR did in VR so you don't have to twist all the way around to check your 6.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline 1ijac

• Silver Member
« Reply #38 on: February 04, 2023, 04:33:13 AM »
Glad to see you back Animal, Let me know if you need any data.  I called your old number from the 90s when I saw you on but you had gotten a new number..

Cheers buddy,    One-eye
"One-Eye"

Offline DaddyAce

• Silver Member
« Reply #39 on: February 04, 2023, 01:46:21 PM »
Welcome back Animal, and thank you for sharing that bit of history.   :salute   Also started in AOL AW early-mid 90's....  :old:

Offline Animl-AW

• Silver Member
      • Animl - YouTube
« Reply #40 on: February 04, 2023, 04:57:01 PM »
I'm not sure I should post this here, chances are someone already has. This will jog some AW-BW memories for some. I can't even remember who to credit for it, maybe someone will.

So you've decided to wander into bigweek.

First things first. You aren't anything new or exciting. We don't care how long you've been flying, we don't care about your kill totals. Your seemingly fresh, inventive, and righteous viewpoints will likely be picked apart in a manner so vicious and rampant that vultures will find
it repulsive. We don't care what you do for a living. We don't care about your accomplishments within a game. This is an electronic roadkill session that never ends. It is a neighborhood bar recreated for a bad Sci-fi channel, late night, made for TV special. It never really
changes, it just gets an occasional new face. That being said, it's ground rules time.

1. Topics. Guns, God, and politics. I dare you to start a conversation on any of these three topics. You can argue all you want, your arguments have not only been heard before, they have been fought over like a WW1 battlefield. Healthy discussion of any and all topics is encouraged, but
don't be surprised when the flames start flying. (note: if you don't know what a flame is, RUN, don't walk, to the nearest exit. This isn't the place you want to be.) If you can't take a little drubbing now and then, this isn't the place for you. Your points will be countered, both
by closed minded folk who know they're right and you're wrong, As well as by open minded people who enjoy discussion. Idiots are encouraged to shoot their mouths off, and they usually do. Be prepared to defend every aspect of any topic you bring up. No one will say "You've got a point,
you're right, I'm wrong, I'll drop my arguments."

2. Posts. If you're here, you likely have some rudimentary knowledge of how to use a newsreader. Congratulations. However, you're not Jean-luc Picard just yet. HTML is a wonderful markup language, but it was not made for posting to newsgroups. HTML is consider a symptom of the
disease known as cluelessness. If your concepts don't stand up as plain text, Making them into red, 96 point wingdings won't help. As a matter of courtesy, outlook users who add everyone into their address book will be shot. It goes without saying virii and other bits of malicious code
will be reported to abuse and local authorities. Links to web sites are nice, try not to wrap them. If the link isn't very intuitive, provide a short description. We're a lazy lot. Make your subjects concise. Try not to re-use subject titles, as some news readers like to lose them in the
shuffle of posts. There are roughly 200-400 posts per 24 hour period. Don't be a seagull. (Fly in, crap all over everything, then leave. It's rude.) DON'T SPAM. Everyone has a kill file and knows how to use it. We've seen the nieman marcus cookie recipe, we've heard the duckjob.wav.
Got a cool picture? Don't post it as a bitmap (.BMP)

3. Trolls. Go right ahead and try. Even the biggest fish in these waters have hook scars. But it's not a socially acceptable way of introducing yourself.

4. Courtesy and Ethics. Discussions get heated around here. If you don't like it, walk away. It's a big scary world out there, but if you can't take a bloody nose, you should go back to AOL chat. The insults here are generally good natured, but mostly because the people insulting each
other have been doing so for the past few years. Don't expect to waltz in and be able to call somebody a rim-jobbing, poodle pumping, cockmaster after a day or two. Don't expect to call someone a wetback-kyke-spic-jig-hun-gook-dago-wop-camel jockey. Ever. And if
things get really bad with you and another person here. diddlying take it to e-mail. And keep it there. If it gets that bad, the rest of us don't want to hear. There's nothing worse than seeing "well he called me this in an e-mail he sent me." It's time for the first use of the double
standard phrase you'll constantly hear around here. "Grow Up." Subscribe to the news group, read the discussions for a few days, (this is known as lurking.) then decide if you want to toss your hat in the ring. We are a generally accepting lot. We are user friendly, but we can be
rather selective about who our friends are. Do yourself a favor. Get in the ford explorer, take the dollar tour of jurassic park, then decide if you want to get out and walk around. And don't go pissing in the T-rex enclosure.

5. Grammar and Spelling. We make English teachers cry. You have a newsreader. It has a spell checker. I strongly suggest you use it. Don't get pissy about being corrected on the usage of "You're" and "They're." You've probably graduated middle school by now, you should know things
like this by now.

6. Enjoy yourself. This isn't a bad place, it just has a very steep learning curve. There is a nice relaxed atmosphere that is punctuated with alternating levels of maturity and immaturity. Learn which one is which, and which one is appropriate. This is a private board, with no
form of censorship, no corporate affiliations, and no terms of service. Every rule here is unwritten, except for what you're reading now. Even these aren't written rules. They're suggestions on conduct. I suggest you follow them.

7. If you don't know, ask. Stupid questions are forgotten far faster than stupid actions.

8. This list will be updated in two weeks.
(this was a joke because we were always told our work would come in software updates in 2 weeks, which rarely came in 2 weeks)
Windows 11 Gaming Tweaks
https://imgur.com/oEtVMfP

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #41 on: February 04, 2023, 05:24:21 PM »
If you didn't pay 6 bucks an hour on GEnie or more on Compuserve to fly the unfriendly skies of Air Warrior you will always be a noob.

Offline CAV

• Nickel Member
« Reply #42 on: February 05, 2023, 01:51:26 PM »

Bigweek....  now that bring back some memories, is that thing still alive? Lost the address to that place many many years ago in a hard drive crash.

CAV
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG301

Offline CAV

• Nickel Member
« Reply #43 on: February 05, 2023, 01:58:58 PM »

(Looks at AKron's location)

Crap...  I've been found!

CAV

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG301

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #44 on: February 05, 2023, 02:25:07 PM »
Bigweek....  now that bring back some memories, is that thing still alive? Lost the address to that place many many years ago in a hard drive crash.

I think it was Trip who hosted Bigweek after AW died.  A few years ago he lost the ability to continue doing so.  The Bigweek crowd moved to Facebook, but I've lost track of them because I don't do Facebook.

- oldman