Author Topic: After 14 years away, a bit impressed  (Read 2376 times)

Offline Animl-AW

• Silver Member
      • Animl - YouTube
After 14 years away, a bit impressed
« on: February 01, 2023, 11:29:35 AM »
I started sim flying in AW in 96, on a PC still running Windows 3.1, AW was hosted on AOL servers. Graphics back then were a major challenge. It took a boat load of tweaking on the common PC, always a struggle keeping the frame rates and internet connection playable.

The typical simmer/gamer held special tweaks close to the chest, to be able to be the "star player". Some of us had a different concept that the game is more fun, and true skills exposed, when everyone can play at the same PC performance level.

Eventually, I became a game staff (tech and arena moderator) for AW/Kesmai. I also did some work on the flight damage model, some graphics (like plane explosions, trailing fire etc.), and sound files. Ran a game tech site called Animal's Toolbox. If I remember right the AH logo was originally one of my designs, and I contributed sound files Dale had asked to use. All of which have been very well updated.

AW was dying, a long story, but due to the owner not wanting to over-haul AW graphics engine and core game coding. It was sold to EA.com, some of us techs went along trying to breath new life back into AW, it was a lost cause. We assumed EA bought it to kill the competition.

When Hitech and Pyro were running the first beta testing of AH, some of us wondered over to see if this could be our replacement sim. It was the very framed core of AH. Easy to spin out, a lot of bouncing, it had a steep learning curve, even compared to AW. But it was no where close to finished. We all saw it as a great idea, but needing so much programming. We all knew how much work had to go into it to make this egg hatch, some of us skeptical if it would go any further at all, programming exhaustion. 

AW died and most of us simmers came over to AH, a vast improvement since the last time we flew it. Still some bugs, but very nice looking and playable.

Life will have it's way with you as it pleases. I quit flying in 2009. Recently pulled out the old x52, and got back in the game. It's been 14 yrs since a full attempt. I finally got another great gaming PC, this sim/game runs like melted butter with full detail. I'm still getting things tweaked. Getting a powered USB hub for my X52 made a major improvement. Still programming the stick and and video card for the ultimate eye candy, still getting reacquainted with the sim and flight skills. I die, a lot. :)

When I'm cruising along to the next fight, sight seeing, thinking back the first time I flew the first beta version,....what is here now is impressive, even with the Pizza Map :). It's probably everything those from AW (and probably War Birds) wished AW would have become.

There will always be the battling concepts, wants and needs, between the simmers and the gamers, we're a needy bunch. There will always be a "Wish List", whines and critiquing, but it seems to have settled into a somewhat civil place.

Main point: Kudos to HiTech, Pyro, Skuzzy and crew, well done.

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
Re: After 14 years away, a bit impressed
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2023, 11:31:01 AM »
Welcome back... saw an Animal in the MA the other day and wondered if it were you.  :old: :joystick: :airplane:
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798

Offline Animl-AW

• Silver Member
      • Animl - YouTube
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2023, 11:34:03 AM »
The best thing about flying now days? Not playing tech support or moderator 70% of the time in the air. Not my circus, not my monkey. :)

Offline Animl-AW

• Silver Member
      • Animl - YouTube
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2023, 11:55:37 AM »
Welcome back... saw an Animal in the MA the other day and wondered if it were you.  :old: :joystick: :airplane:

It's good seeing old names/faces again. I was wondering if I'd be the only old hat in the arena, I'm not, and that is super cool.

Offline Tig

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2023, 12:17:05 PM »
Finally! Someone who can appreciate the graphics LOL. It's nothing like IL-2 Shturmovik but to me the graphics are quite good for the load it puts on my PC. Very enjoyable to fly.

I wish I could say welcome back but I only joined up last year or so. I'm one of the newest to the war, if you see a Tig flying around, that's me, usually in a Spit, Moss, or more recently, a P-40N.  :banana:

Thanks for all your contributions in the past in bringing AH into the world!  :salute
Turn n' Burn!

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2023, 12:21:23 PM »
Welcome back, Animl.    Glad to have you in the skies again.   :salute

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2023, 12:24:56 PM »
Welcome back, Animl.    Glad to have you in the skies again. 

Agreed!

- oldman

Offline Animl-AW

• Silver Member
      • Animl - YouTube
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2023, 01:19:04 PM »
Finally! Someone who can appreciate the graphics LOL. It's nothing like IL-2 Shturmovik but to me the graphics are quite good for the load it puts on my PC. Very enjoyable to fly.

I wish I could say welcome back but I only joined up last year or so. I'm one of the newest to the war, if you see a Tig flying around, that's me, usually in a Spit, Moss, or more recently, a P-40N.  :banana:

Thanks for all your contributions in the past in bringing AH into the world!  :salute
Thanks, but they were very small contributions. Hitech and crew deserve all the credit.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2023, 01:20:09 PM »
Well well well..... welcome back Animl     :cheers:

80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline xbrit

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2023, 02:33:31 PM »
Welcome back Animl
<S>

Offline potsNpans

• Nickel Member
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2023, 02:34:08 PM »
Animal...humm, always think of that hairy red muppet. Welcome aboard!

Offline steely07

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2023, 03:29:58 PM »
Now there's a name I've not seen in a loooong time, welcome back Sir!
Aces High, Wing Commander, Dickweed Heavy Bomber Group: www.dickweedhbg.com

FSO Films : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFs6CAXBQoVBctljybD65fA?view_as=subscriber

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2023, 04:09:53 PM »
Heya Animl! Good to see you're still kicking. Don't get up flyin as much as I used to. FSO and then some is about it.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2023, 05:33:18 PM »
Welcome back Animl! Wait until you try VR!!!  LOL!!!! good to see you back again!

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2023, 07:15:24 PM »
Welcome back Animl! 

Heh,  graphics are a good thing to have I guess.... but who has time to marvel at what the graphics might look like when in a palm sweating dogfight or furball....

🍻

TC
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC