Author Topic: Price change?  (Read 2781 times)

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
Price change?
« on: February 01, 2023, 12:06:51 PM »
$14.95 in 2000 dollars is not the same as $14.95 in 2023 dollars.

In 2021, the relative values of $14.95 from 2000 ranges from $22.70 to $33.50.

https://www.measuringworth.com/calculators/uscompare/relativevalue.php

If no changes can be made to make the sim more appealing to a wider modern audience, then it is a boutique product.  Perhaps a boutique product should have a boutique price.

It takes money to update the remaining plane models.  HTC has been taking a price reduction hit in real terms every year since 2000.

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Re: Price change?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2023, 12:17:33 PM »
(insert colourful expletives here)
Steam: DrKalv
Elite:Dangerous: Snailman

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2023, 12:22:38 PM »
(insert colourful expletives here)

Cut me some slack.  I'm iced in.  Need a little entertainment.  :devil

But is my logic flawed?

To be even more evil, frankly from a mercenary point of view, maybe the remaining population is inelastic.  They've stayed this long with no meaningful development.   They've stayed this long with dwindling population.  Perhaps they are so locked in they would accept merely adjusting the cost from 2000 accounting for inflation. 

It's not really increasing the price in real terms.  Is it fair to ask HTC to take a pay cut every year?  Would you work at a company that refused to bump your salary in 23 years?

[Edit]  Waiting for the Canadians to complain like they always d about prices.   :rofl
« Last Edit: February 01, 2023, 12:24:11 PM by CptTrips »
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2023, 12:23:29 PM »
It also means AH is becoming and better and better value every year.    :devil :rock :salute
« Last Edit: February 01, 2023, 12:26:22 PM by oboe »

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2023, 12:26:13 PM »
It also means AH is becoming and better and better value every year.

And less and less incentive for HTC to continue development every year too. 

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2023, 12:31:20 PM »
Money is important, to be sure, but I suspect there are other factors in play regarding the stable state of the game.   

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2023, 12:35:33 PM »
stable

That is a carefully chosen euphemism.  ;)

Like Special Military Operation. ;)

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2023, 12:46:50 PM »
But is my logic flawed?

Yes. Because from my gamer's perspective, it's already overpriced as is. You have a product with no meaningful updates anymore (last new ride added a full 9 years ago), with broken mechanics and unfixed bugs and a gameplay massively suffering from dwindling numbers (I have to fly late at night in my timezone to get a glimpse of the action AH used to have).

And nothing of that will improve if you raise the price. And without any instant improvements, more players may actually quit after a price hike, thus just accelerating the downward spiral.
Steam: DrKalv
Elite:Dangerous: Snailman

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2023, 12:49:17 PM »
$20\month would be sane adjustment in real terms from 2000 values. 

In fact, it would be a slight reduction in price in real terms from what you paid in 2000.

So pitch it as a price reduction (in real terms).   :cool:

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2023, 01:02:16 PM »
Yes. Because from my gamer's perspective, it's already overpriced as is.

Well, that is not the part I was referring to.   ;)

Would you agree that since 2000, HTC has taken ~40% reduction in per player revenue in real terms?

The only way that would make any rational sense for a company is if volume was doubling or tripling in that time.

Bottom line is, HT is not a 3D artist.  If the player base ever wants to see the remaining cockpits updated or God forbid a new plane or vehicle, then taking a yearly pay cut is probably not the way to attain that.  Someone probably has to be paid to do that work. 

I guess he could cash out some IRA.  Or just give up and remain "stable".  I guess I just realized today that if people like me want to see development and new stuff, then it would be a reasonable change.

Otherwise, I guess we shouldn't ask for new development.  This is Murica!  We don't work for free!

Offline potsNpans

• Nickel Member
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2023, 02:38:10 PM »
Someone elbow him and schuush his pie hole. HiTech is making a good living at human trafficking...oh wait did I say that out loud :headscratch:

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2023, 02:39:05 PM »
Where the game stood in comparison to its competition, let's say, the early 2000's, is quite different from where it stands now.   It's basically the same game, albeit with GV combat, ship-to-ship combat, amphibious landings with battleship support, etc.     

Then, it was an up-and-comer, drawing players from Warbirds, AW, Fighter Ace, etc.   The first to offer flat-rate pricing, IIRC.  Now, it's the Gray Lady (I mean that affectionately) of multiplayer WWII online combat, competing against War Thunder, DCS, IL-2 Great Battles.  The best thing about the game is really the community and the fun we have when we're online together.   

I'd be afraid a price hike would cause too many players to re-evaluate whether the game is worth the price, compared to the free online play and continuing development and new releases by its competitors.   We might lose more players than we can spare.   

It's not really about whether Hitech deserves a raise - its about what the game offers in the current environment against it's competition, and what that is worth to new and existing customers...

« Last Edit: February 01, 2023, 02:44:32 PM by oboe »

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2023, 02:57:18 PM »
HiTech is making a good living at human trafficking...

Did you just imply HT is working as a male prostitute?

:D

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2023, 03:10:32 PM »
It's not really about whether Hitech deserves a raise - its about what the game offers in the current environment against it's competition, and what that is worth to new and existing customers...

You and Lucshe are making fair points.

I'm pretty much writing off the possibility of new players.  (As-in not just old players returning for a bit.  Each time recycled players come back they tend not to stay as long as the last time.)  I don't think the current market will pay for AH at any price in it's current form.  At least you couldn't convince them of that in two weeks.  Which is why I have suggested a F2P planeset to maybe have a chance to keep them around long enough to realize AH's subtler charms.

So the question is, are the remaining players so locked into their social network, their squads, their FSO, their events here that they would tolerate adjusting the rate to compensate for inflation since 2000.  Not saying they wouldn't beotch.   Consumers want everything for free if they can get it.  Businesses just can't run that way.

This community wouldn't pay an extra  20 cents a day to keep AH healthy?

You may be right.  That is illuminating though.

Offline Chris79

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2023, 06:08:27 PM »
I’d pay an extra 5-10 bucks a month if that meant 400+ players in the MA during prime time.

Chuikov