Author Topic: Price change?  (Read 2784 times)

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
Re: Price change?
« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2023, 09:37:47 AM »
If you want to pay more, why not pay for a 2nd account?

Leave us with monetary problems at least the ability to pay for a few tours a year.

:old:
"So far the score is Gunzo 237 - Skyyr 0"
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2023, 11:03:37 AM »
If you want to pay more, why not pay for a 2nd account?

Leave us with monetary problems at least the ability to pay for a few tours a year.

:old:

I feel ya. I'm in the same boat. 

It's not a question of anyone "wanting" to pay more.  No consumer ever "wants" to pay more. 

The question is would it be reasonable to adjust the subscription cost based on inflation since 2000.  If not, you are saying the game is 40% less valuable than it was in 2000.  That was Lucshe's argument, if I understood.

I'm not saying he should raise the price, but that it wouldn't  be unreasonable.  It's an open question of how many of the remaining die-hards would close their accounts over merely re-aligning the subscription with it's original cost adjusted for inflation.  You can raise the price of junk to a junkie and he'll whine, but he'll pay it.  He'll just go rob more. ;)

We are all facing higher prices on stuff.  Eggs...Jesus.  HT is paying those prices too.  With 40% less revenue per player, and a lot less players.  We all have bills.

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Online Dadtallica

• Silver Member
« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2023, 12:45:36 PM »
This is the right perspective. Everyone’s prices are higher. I don’t know how many active subs there are but can it more than 300? t that number AH most likely barely pays for itself of at all.

Hopefully Dale has other jobs!
Back in 2022 after a loooooong break from 2010. Old name Ratpack, same for the BBS.

Squad I did the most tours with were the Excaliburs then The 172nd Rabid Dogs. Still trying to talk Illigaf, Coola, Oldman22, and Joecrow into coming back instead of being boring old farts!

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2023, 01:02:33 PM »
This is the right perspective. Everyone’s prices are higher. I don’t know how many active subs there are but can it more than 300?

It's definitely much more. For example, of the 860 players with registered kills or deaths in tour 271, 679 had been flying in at least two of the four previous tours under the same handle - so that's the absolute minimum number of subscribers. Factor in dormant accounts, players who changed their name or are just playing every once in a while, you will come to even higher numbers. Probably significantly higher, but of course we will never know the exact number.
Steam: DrKalv
Elite:Dangerous: Snailman

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2023, 01:04:12 PM »
This is the right perspective. Everyone’s prices are higher. I don’t know how many active subs there are but can it more than 300? t that number AH most likely barely pays for itself of at all.

No way to definitely know. 

If I was forced to wager, I'd say ~800.  Usually only a small percentage of the total players are ever on at one time.  Many never go into the Melee and only show up for events.
I wouldn't be surprised if some were dead and their widows just never notice that auto pay. ;)

I've seen up to 200 live bodies split between the Melee and Special Event at one time.  So take some reasonable percentage estimate maybe 600-1000.  ~800 would be my bet.

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2023, 01:07:01 PM »

I think potsNPans was suggesting he was working as a male prostitute.

Frankly I don't see that as viable, but who knows, it's a strange world.   :O

Online Dadtallica

• Silver Member
« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2023, 02:27:58 PM »
Still even at 800 it’s not retirement time or enough money to staff a development team. Plus some of those 800 are double and triples I’m sure. I think Merv has 42 accounts.

I totally bet you there are some recurring charges people don’t know about. I got a box of hello fresh last week because I forgot I was signed up.  :headscratch:
Back in 2022 after a loooooong break from 2010. Old name Ratpack, same for the BBS.

Squad I did the most tours with were the Excaliburs then The 172nd Rabid Dogs. Still trying to talk Illigaf, Coola, Oldman22, and Joecrow into coming back instead of being boring old farts!

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2023, 02:47:27 PM »
Still even at 800 it’s not retirement time or enough money to staff a development team.

Apparently not.

Hence the question, if we discount the pipe dream that if HTC just advertised at air shows or something and handed out t-shirts that 600 new players would magically reappear in the Melee,  and if the old timers don't want any changes made that might make the game more appealing to the modern market, then maybe it would be reasonable to ask the remaining die-hards to at least pay what they used to pay in 2000 (adjusting for inflation)?

You either survive on volume or margin.  Ideally both, but lets be realistic.

« Last Edit: February 05, 2023, 03:04:52 PM by CptTrips »

Offline nopoop

• Gold Member
« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2023, 04:13:18 PM »
This tour I am paying 26 cents an hour to play....
nopoop

It's ALL about the fight..

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #39 on: February 07, 2023, 07:22:35 AM »

I get about an hour a night m_ f so 20 hrs a month..divided by $15...about 75 cents an hour

Nowhere else can such entertainment be found at such a cheap price

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #40 on: February 08, 2023, 12:31:51 PM »
about 75 cents an hour

Well, luckily you can reduce your marginal cost by playing more hours. ;)

Offline Mano

• Gold Member
« Reply #41 on: February 11, 2023, 04:22:58 PM »
I agree with Eagler  $29.95 per month  would be reasonable.
How about in-game advertising? Food. Gamers get hungry  :D.
That is just an example.

In the tower you see an add like YouTube that lasts about 3-5 seconds and you can click to not see anymore, then click on Fly.

You land on the runway and there is a billboard with an advertisement, like Scotty’s Used Semis.

Some sponsors might advertise AH as well.

Got ideas…..post them.

We all want AH to continue to develop and it takes resources for it to happen.

:salute
Everything is funny as long as it is happening to somebody else.
- Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #42 on: February 11, 2023, 04:49:18 PM »
I think you guys are playing with fire.  There appears to be no development going on, and you want to double the price?   

My guess is AH would lose 25-50% of its remaining subscribers.   I think a price increase would hasten AH's demise.

Online Dadtallica

• Silver Member
« Reply #43 on: February 11, 2023, 06:58:58 PM »
I’m not paying for YouTube ads.

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #44 on: February 11, 2023, 07:48:11 PM »
I’m not paying for YouTube ads.

I think he is yanking on your joystick.  :cool:

"Not that there is anything wrong with that...."

« Last Edit: February 11, 2023, 07:49:59 PM by CptTrips »