Author Topic: How Many Main Arena Maps?  (Read 3920 times)

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
Re: How Many Main Arena Maps?
« Reply #45 on: February 11, 2023, 12:01:25 PM »
Nothing like dividing 8 players across 3 countries.  :cool:

It's usually something like 2 people at 33k bombing radar or ack for later in the day, someone levelling a town unchecked in a tank, one of the now small squads clustered on unopposed base take after another, a couple of people asleep on their keyboard writing a Shakespearian odyssey with their face while their T34 hides under a bush and one dingleberry ACM-head looking unsuccessfully for a dogfight.
Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Get stuffed freaks" - Zack1234

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #46 on: February 11, 2023, 12:10:12 PM »
It's usually something like 2 people at 33k bombing radar or ack for later in the day, someone levelling a town unchecked in a tank, one of the now small squads clustered on unopposed base take after another, a couple of people asleep on their keyboard writing a Shakespearian odyssey with their face while their T34 hides under a bush and one dingleberry ACM-head looking unsuccessfully for a dogfight.

All for only $15 every month. ;)

You Euro time zone guys ought to ban together and run some 4v4 mini  battles in the AVA.  Maybe they can setup a small map there with close bases and two sides.

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 11, 2023, 12:41:16 PM »

The sole reason I was overall tour winner last tour for the second time only in my entire AH career : At one point I was the ONLY active player in the arena for over an hour. After some time I started deacking bases and eventually capturing them, and only that gave my score such a boost to get to the top.  :banana:

By the way, around 2008 the lowest numbers in the MA during off-hours were around 100 players. That's peak primetime numbers during the week now  :uhoh
« Last Edit: February 11, 2023, 12:43:50 PM by Lusche »
Steam: DrKalv
Elite:Dangerous: Snailman

Offline Mano

• Gold Member
« Reply #48 on: February 11, 2023, 04:07:52 PM »
Please

Bring back Trinity

That a fun map. We had epic battles at 134.
Huge fur balls as well.

:salute
Everything is funny as long as it is happening to somebody else.
- Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Offline mERv

• Silver Member
« Reply #49 on: February 11, 2023, 04:56:16 PM »
RELEASE THE MAPS!
"Its no problem to be the best, but to be so much better than the best is going to bring accusations." Haggarty
"Ever wonder why its always b-17s and B-24s. It allows him an extreme advantage over other players hence his bomber kill count, that and his lazer beam guns." Diaster

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 11, 2023, 05:04:45 PM »
Please

Bring back Trinity

That a fun map. We had epic battles at 134.
Huge fur balls as well.

:salute

Are the players to feed the furballs somehow magically included?
Steam: DrKalv
Elite:Dangerous: Snailman

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #51 on: February 11, 2023, 05:10:06 PM »
The thing with the smaller maps is that they build bigger fights earlier in the afternoon making it more actionable for players who log in. A map like bowlma or CraterMA in the morning has a couple of tiny little dars in multiple sectors and generally doesn't look like there is much to do. Players also stay on later in the night when the fights are more active on the smaller maps. I think there should be more reason to bring the fighters back to the game rather than have them log because there is no action.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #52 on: February 12, 2023, 03:55:53 AM »
You Euro time zone guys ought to ban together and run some 4v4 mini  battles in the AVA.  Maybe they can setup a small map there with close bases and two sides.

Well we used to have the furball lake which did it for me but HiTech replaced that with his idea of an improvement.

By the way, around 2008 the lowest numbers in the MA during off-hours were around 100 players. That's peak primetime numbers during the week now  :uhoh

Yeah it's over for me. I see it clearly now. I'm going to see if I can find some special sauce in DCS. Smoke me a kipper  :salute
Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Get stuffed freaks" - Zack1234

Offline Dadtallica

• Silver Member
« Reply #53 on: February 12, 2023, 08:57:36 AM »
Well we used to have the furball lake which did it for me but HiTech replaced that with his idea of an improvement.
Yeah it's over for me. I see it clearly now. I'm going to see if I can find some special sauce in DCS. Smoke me a kipper  :salute

I’m not a furballer so I don’t mind any of that. This game is pretty subjective which should also be heralded as one of its strengths for appealing to many.

I feel comparing 2008 gaming with todays is like comparing apples and potatoes. The way technology exponentially evolves year over year is mind boggling. There is an actual formula someone worked out for this I forget what it is. In 2008, the number comparable options or options in general in relation to today’s choices is unimaginable.
Back in 2022 after a loooooong break from 2010. Old name Ratpack, same for the BBS.

Squad I did the most tours with were the Excaliburs then The 172nd Rabid Dogs. Still trying to talk Illigaf, Coola, Oldman22, and Joecrow into coming back instead of being boring old farts!

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #54 on: February 12, 2023, 08:59:22 AM »
I’m not a furballer so I don’t mind any of that. This game is pretty subjective which should also be heralded as one of its strengths for appealing to many.

I feel comparing 2008 gaming with todays is like comparing apples and potatoes. The way technology exponentially evolves year over year is mind boggling. There is an actual formula someone worked out for this I forget what it is. In 2008, the number comparable options or options in general in relation to today’s choices is unimaginable.

Not sure what you were referring to, but in hardware that is known as Moore's Law.
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline molybdenum

• Nickel Member
« Reply #55 on: February 13, 2023, 01:48:51 PM »
Which was that MA map I haven't seen since AH2, it also had a tank town on an asymmetrical, large island with a lot of vehicle bases and gave rise to good fights around the coast?

I think you are referring to Fester. I loved that map! Very idiosyncratic!

Offline Dadtallica

• Silver Member
« Reply #56 on: February 14, 2023, 04:44:21 PM »
Updated MA terrain thumbnails with ETOMA:

Did I hear you have a new map to add to this picture? Also it’s a super cool pic you should pin it somewhere for others? Is it in the order of the rotation?
Back in 2022 after a loooooong break from 2010. Old name Ratpack, same for the BBS.

Squad I did the most tours with were the Excaliburs then The 172nd Rabid Dogs. Still trying to talk Illigaf, Coola, Oldman22, and Joecrow into coming back instead of being boring old farts!

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #57 on: February 14, 2023, 04:55:15 PM »
yea, new map up......
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline Simon

• Nickel Member
« Reply #58 on: February 14, 2023, 07:27:01 PM »
The new map was a blast tonight. Thank you Kenai77 (and HTC for upping it)!  :salute

Offline Dadtallica

• Silver Member
« Reply #59 on: November 07, 2023, 02:05:43 PM »
We have 15 in the rotation now, this image shows thumbnails for all but the latest one, ETOMA:

(Image removed from quote.)

CURRENT AH MAP ROTATION

0, 'sfma2016'           8, 'smpizza'
1, 'riftval'                  9, 'buzzsaw'
2, 'fjordma'           10, 'craterma'
3, 'grinder'              11, 'oceania'
4, 'baltic'               13, 'ndisles'
5, 'montis'              14, 'northco'
6, 'mindnao'           15, 'etoma'
7, 'bowlma'

Oboe if you ever get some free time and update this map rotation grid? Maybe even make it a new sticky for posterity?