Author Topic: Internet Stability  (Read 744 times)

Offline fudgums

• Gold Member
Internet Stability
« on: February 08, 2023, 05:58:07 AM »
Hi all, even all over the internet I couldn't find a place that could help me answer a question.

I have moved into a family members house but since I was young, the internet has always been shaky. Randomly goes out for 30 seconds to a minute then good again. Does it a few times a day, and this is on an wired connection. The house isn't in the country either, in the middle of town.

Is there a tool that I can use that tracks the internet speed over a day or so? I'd like to have the information before I send it to the internet company. This is with multiple routers over the years.

Thank you!
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
Re: Internet Stability
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2023, 07:31:10 AM »

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2023, 07:37:44 AM »
If you get your internet from cable and your tv quality suffers, it might be an issue with overall signal strength...a crummy connection that is going in and out

Eagler

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline RichardDarkwood

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2023, 01:46:42 PM »
Hi all, even all over the internet I couldn't find a place that could help me answer a question.

I have moved into a family members house but since I was young, the internet has always been shaky. Randomly goes out for 30 seconds to a minute then good again. Does it a few times a day, and this is on an wired connection. The house isn't in the country either, in the middle of town.

Is there a tool that I can use that tracks the internet speed over a day or so? I'd like to have the information before I send it to the internet company. This is with multiple routers over the years.

Thank you!

you have a bad connector in the line somewhere, or the line is garbage.

Do you have a lot of squirrels around you? because they eat cable lines
"Show me on the doll where the bad man touched you"---Betty

https://www.twitch.tv/hounds_darkwood
CO--The Bad Guys

Offline fudgums

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2023, 05:38:18 PM »
We do, and that's what I figured. It's been bad for a long time. It's not constant but a few times a day.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2023, 07:13:54 AM »
Intermittent cable issues are hard to troubleshoot

Could be moisture and or temperature related

Started cable in 1979 ..still in it as a consultant contractor

You need a supervisor who can see if your issue is a possible neighborhood issue or if your problem is from the tap in

Eagler

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2023, 07:39:28 PM »
Malware on a computer can cause the provider to disconnect the home briefly also. Less likely than the other possibilities but still something to consider.
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline GasTeddy

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2023, 06:56:03 AM »
Malware on a computer can cause the provider to disconnect the home briefly also. Less likely than the other possibilities but still something to consider.

That's true. I recommend:  https://www.ccleaner.com/   &   https://www.malwarebytes.com/

Free versions from both are just enough for a home pc.

The Mad   CatMan!

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2023, 07:41:49 PM »
Did you ever get it diagnosed?  I had an intermittent network problem and after a year it started getting worse whenever it rained.  After a couple of tech support visits they finally dug up and replaced the cable from the street to my house.  Turns out the original installer ran out of cable during the install and instead of re-doing it with a fresh spool of cable, he just used a regular cable to cable connector, wrapped it in a little tape, and buried it hoping it would work long enough for whatever...  The guy who fixed it used actual underground rated cable off of a spool long enough to do the entire run from the street to the house without any splices and I never had any problems.

So...  if the cable run from the street to the house has ANY connectors or splices in it, that's a great place to start looking for problems.
Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.