Author Topic: Maj. George R. Bickell - P-51B "Peg O'My Heart" (GQ*A) - 354th FG, 355th FS  (Read 370 times)

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
Maj. George Ross Bickell, Sr.
P-51B-1-NA "Peg O'My Heart" (GQ*A)
S/N 43-12173
354th Fighter Group, 355th Fighter Squadron
Boxted, England, December 1943

This is the P-51B-1-NA Mustang (S/N 43-12173) coded GQ*A and nicknamed "Peg O' My Heart" of the 355th Fighter Squadron, 354th Fighter Group--known as the Pioneer Mustang Group--flown by then-Squadron Commander, Major George R. Bickell.   A veteran of Pearl Harbor, he flew the group's first mission and would rise to be the group's third Commander at the age of 28, a position he held on VE-Day, ending the war as a Colonel with 4.5 victories (some sources say 3.5).

As a Lieutenant, on 7 December 1941, Bickell was eating breakfast with his wife Peggy and their three-year old child when the first wave of Japanese planes came over Oahu.   He raced in his car ten miles while dodging fire from low-flying Japanese aircraft to Haleiwa Field, leapt into his fighter, and attacked a formation of twelve planes.   He was shot down in the pattern at Wheeler field winding up in the water 200 yards from the beach.   Undeterred, he swam back to shore, commandeered a second fighter, and rejoined the fray.   

"Peg O'My Heart" had a long career as well, starting with the very first Pioneer Mustang Group missions and going on to fly with a total of four different groups before being marked war weary.

- 355th Fighter Squadron, 354th Fighter Group, 9th Air Force
- 362nd Fighter Squadron, 357th Fighter Group, 8th Air Force
- 555th Fighter Training Squadron, 496th Fighter Training Group, 8th Air Force
- 359th Fighter Squadron, 356th Fighter Group, 8th Air Force, marked war weary.

Col. Bickell was born in Passaic, N.J. He attended Drew University and New York University.   After his WWII service, he was a fighter wing commander in West Germany, [a student and later] a faculty member at the National War College in Washington, a NATO officer in Italy, vice commander of the Air Defense Command at Hancock Field in Syracuse, N.Y., and director of a reserve unit at Andrews Air Force Base.

His decorations include the Air Medal with 12 oak leaf clusters (2 silver, 2 bronze), American Campaign Medal, American Defense Medal, Army of Occupation Medal, Asiatic-Pacific Campaign Medal, Bronze Star, Distinguished Flying Cross with 2 oak leaf clusters, National Defense Service Medal, Silver Star, World War II Victory Medal, Croix de Guerre (French), Croix de Guerre (Belgian), Air Force Commendation Medal, Air Force Longevity Service Award with 5 oak leaf clusters (1 silver oak leaf cluster), and European-African-Middle Eastern Campaign Medal with 1 silver star and 1 bronze star.

Col. Bickell retired from the Air Force in 1969 and passed away from cancer on 4 October 1987 at the age of 71.   He and his wife had four children (two sons and two daughters).

(His obituary spells his name Bickel with a single L.   I don't know what is correct as the USAAF victory credits use two Ls.)
« Last Edit: January 27, 2023, 05:51:07 PM by Vraciu »
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
325th VFG - "The Checkertails"
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
Sorry for so many pics.......but I just liked them.   I also haven't shown any belly shots for the last few skins.

Also, I just uncovered a photo that shows some text just forward of the windscreen detailing the crew info.  I'll be adding that before I submit it.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2023, 05:51:23 PM by Vraciu »
”KILLER V”

Online Bopgun

• Nickel Member
That skin is.... Arousing
Ingame: StepSis

Stuck in the Washing machine!

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
 :aok

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Last Edit: January 27, 2023, 05:51:34 PM by Vraciu »
”KILLER V”

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
The drabbest Pony. I like it.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
Thanks, Devil.  Also thanks to everyone for the help on the national markings.   :salute
”KILLER V”

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
I've simulated the white text under the cockpit as taking another screenshot as nice will be pretty tough.  I've drawn it on the diffuse though and it looks just like this.

« Last Edit: January 28, 2023, 12:15:45 AM by Vraciu »
”KILLER V”

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
Great skin and writeup Vraciu.

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
Its beautiful.   And the guy was a real-life vulchee.   Ups a plane during a horde's field attack, gets shot down, and then ups again!   Foolish behavior in our game, but incredibly brave in life.

What happened to the white theater ID bands on wings, stabs, and tail?   They were in the pics from the last thread, and I see no mention of intentionally removing them.   Apologies if I missed a discussion about removing them....

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
Very nice V... :aok
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
Thanks, guys.

Oboe, this is the plane in December of 1943 BEFORE the theater bands were applied.   That's why I picked this one since it was different from the usual.

https://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,406758.0.html
”KILLER V”

Offline Golden Dragon

• Copper Member
Re: Maj. George R. Bickell - P-51B "Peg O'My Heart" (GQ*A) - 354th FG, 355th FS
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2023, 08:13:29 PM »
You're really getting the olive drab down.  Looks great.
Fight's on!

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
Re: Maj. George R. Bickell - P-51B "Peg O'My Heart" (GQ*A) - 354th FG, 355th FS
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2023, 09:55:38 PM »
You're really getting the olive drab down.  Looks great.

Thank you, sir.  I appreciate that.  :salute
”KILLER V”