Author Topic: Is there a FAQ or guide for new players when it comes to VR?  (Read 529 times)

Offline PopJanko

• Zinc Member
Is there a FAQ or guide for new players when it comes to VR?
« on: February 11, 2023, 08:32:56 PM »
I'm new to the game, and want to include VR.  I don't have any VR hardware.

What VR hardware is best for the game?

Thank y ]ou

Offline Bopgun

• Nickel Member
Re: Is there a FAQ or guide for new players when it comes to VR?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2023, 08:46:29 PM »
I believe the Oculus(Meta) Quest 2 is still the most affordable option and has very few draw backs. There are other options that vary in price but the quest seems to be the best bang for your buck, others will be along to tell you about the different options. You will need a decent PC to run AH in VR at optimal framerates. May I ask the specs on your current machine?

AH is amazing in VR and I rarely play without it. If you can afford you should try it.
Ingame: StepSis

Needs help with homework!

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2023, 09:19:37 PM »
The hp Reverb G2 is currently on sale for $150 off, at $449.   It is also very good.  I agree with Stepsis, the Quest 2 is a solid unit.  I've had both, and I found the G2 to be lighter overall, more comfortable to wear, with better color and slightly higher resolution.   The Reverb comes with everything you need; while the Quest 2 I bought several aftermarket headbands in search of more comfort, and also an $80 link cable to hook up to the PC.  These added to the overall cost of the Quest 2.   If you're interested in other VR games, the Quest probably has the better variety?   You can also play standalone games on the Quest 2, with no need to be tethered to a PC.

Rumor has it hp is exiting the VR headset industry, which is really unfortunate. 

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2023, 09:38:58 PM »
I like the Quest 2. Only VR headset I've had but it's solid, easy to set up/use/can use with wifi.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline Bopgun

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2023, 04:15:23 AM »
The hp Reverb G2 is currently on sale for $150 off, at $449.   It is also very good.  I agree with Stepsis, the Quest 2 is a solid unit.  I've had both, and I found the G2 to be lighter overall, more comfortable to wear, with better color and slightly higher resolution.   The Reverb comes with everything you need; while the Quest 2 I bought several aftermarket headbands in search of more comfort, and also an $80 link cable to hook up to the PC.  These added to the overall cost of the Quest 2.   If you're interested in other VR games, the Quest probably has the better variety?   You can also play standalone games on the Quest 2, with no need to be tethered to a PC.

Rumor has it hp is exiting the VR headset industry, which is really unfortunate.

Aftermarket stuff from Kiwi seems to be priced well and last longer than other Quest 2 accessories. I got the "elite" Kiwi head strap for $40, 16ft linkcable for $20 and straps for the hand held controls for another $20.

I've been wanting to try the Reverb G2 and nearly bought it over the Quest. That could be a better option if Sim type games are all you're looking for to play with it.
Ingame: StepSis

Needs help with homework!

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2023, 08:37:20 AM »
I moved from a RiftS to the G2 when it was on sale in the US last summer for $399. Clarity is night and day better than the RiftS. I think it's very comfortable to wear for hours at a time. I do have the counterweight set for the head strap which balances it out nicely. Only thing there is I wish there was a dial adjustment for head size like the RiftS had. It's tied to the PC, there's no stand alone wth the G2. You'll also need a fairly good PC to push the higher resolution. I have a 3080 and have no problem running AH in VR on the highest settings. Constant 90 fps.

There are general gripes about it. They say the tracking isn't so great and the controllers aren't the best. I only play flight sims so I'm seated and only use the controllers when I need to interact with WMR so those things aren't a factor with me. The only thing that does bug me is that the cable has a reputation for randomly dieing. I have a V2 and have had no issues yet but the problem is there are generally no spares to be had and they're outrageously expensive if you can get them. Doing what I can to preserve mine. I have a kiwi pulley set that keeps it stable. There's that and it looks like Microsoft is pretty much ending WMR. And HP is getting out of the VR business. So no G3 happening.

Other than that the G2 is widely recognized as the best bang for the buck for flight sims. I can't say I'm not pleased with it. Stepping up from the G2 is a fair bump in price to like the Pimax and Varjo. That's too rich for me. The new Pico might be worth a look. I hear good things about it.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline evilseed

• Zinc Member
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2023, 02:20:49 AM »
My G2 was great, I think I used it with a 2080Ti + i9-9900K, but the narrowish sweet spot made glancing at instruments or visual scanning a little annoying.  Really loving the PICO4 now for the edge clarity in the same price range, but it has no direct-to-GPU cable so you have to stream SteamVR over USB3 with 3rd-party software... so more PC power.  3080Ti + i9-12900K is working well, but I haven't tested it lower.  G2 is simpler to set up and cheaper if you have an older rig.

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2023, 10:47:39 AM »
There’s a great deal of good information on this page, and a lot of great technical expertise available for any questions you may have.

I’ve had my G2 several months now and am very happy with the VR performance, once in the the game.  This is my second G2 headset.  The first one came new out of the factory with a malfunctioning mic.  I spent a great deal of time on the phone with a couple of fellow players trying to figure out the cause, to no success.  Once, the correct person at HP was reached, a swap out was done for a new headset, which works perfectly.  I was very impressed with quick turn around time, seven days from overnight turn in to over night return.  For more on my G2 journey: https://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,405929.0.html

I previously had an oculus rift, which was truly a plug and play headset.  VERY simple.  The G2, on the other hand requires multiple steps to be up and running and is sometimes a bit glitchy but, the performance improvement is worth it to me.

My PC has an I7 and 3080 card which consistently generates a 90 +/-5 VR frame rate with no stutters.

Ask away with your questions.  There’s a wealth of information available in here.  :salute
« Last Edit: February 18, 2023, 12:15:08 PM by Puma44 »

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2023, 06:44:30 PM »
I have a Rift S, at Drano's long-ago recommendation.  I gather that it's no longer fancy by today's standards, but it works great and, as Puma said, it's very easy to set up.

- oldman