Author Topic: Wife Ack: dealing with anxiety/depression  (Read 2583 times)

Offline shotgunneeley

• Silver Member
Wife Ack: dealing with anxiety/depression
« on: February 14, 2023, 10:18:47 AM »
I’m about to be 33 and my wife is about to be 34. I grew up in the same small-town Arkansas all my life while she bounced around on the east coast (army brat). We met each other in 2018 as a long-distance relationship, she moved to my local town in 2019 as I was locked into my family-business and she did not have much holding her back on the east coast, we married in 2020 and welcomed our daughter in 2021.

While dating she was very fun to be around. We had similar interests, similar goals and aspirations, we were both Christian (I grew up baptist and she was more non-denominational / charismatic). Our biggest difference is our personality/temperament - she is an ENFJ / melancholy type while I am more of a ISTJ / phlegmatic type. She has always been highly opinionated which i liked thinking it was self-confidence and her taking initiative, but it turns out she desperately craves affirmation and value from others. If someone or a group disagrees with her on what to do, you might as well have kicked her and told her she was worthless. She has a polarizing personality where some people love/like her while others are put off. By her own admission she is overly analytical and emotionally sensitive. Ever since COVID hit the scene and the birth of our little girl, she has been highly anxious about health and safety (overly concerned about her own mortality as her mother died young from cancer); she has deep depression from the state of the world and that she does not fit into the culture. She told me that she loves me but that I am not good for her and has declared that she is not good for me to despite protest and exasperation. When things don’t go her way or plan she breaks down in a crying fury while I try to console her telling her it will be OK and we will adjust, which infuriates her more because she sees that as me sweeping things under the rug or being a pushover. Meanwhile, if things don’t go according to my plan I had set up, she rages at me for not listening to her as she suddenly has 20/20 wisdom and discernment. She is so full of anger, bitterness and jealousy. My grandpa started the business, my dad runs it now and I handle a lot of tech work. My wife angrily tells me I should ask for more money so she can stay at home with our daughter (but she is also scoffs at that “traditional” thought of her not having a career where she feels like she is “making her mark on the world”) because she sees them as living in a big house when my mom could stay at home to raise my sister and I. My parents stayed with us for a week at our family cabin (we had just sold our house to be looking into a different area for me to commute to work) when brought the baby home from the hospital - my dad asked me to weed the pond on day 2 and I actually looked forward to some exercise, but my wife said it broke her that even though I was 30 yards away cleaning outside for an hour she has continued to rant at me for not prioritizing her instead and supporting her and the baby. She has gained weight down here and there are 80yr olds who run circles around her - she gets in the dumps and has 0 energy. I have given given up or limited my hobbies and interests that I did before we were married and had the baby so I could focus more on them when I was not working, but she is angry that as I am part of this family business that I cannot move to a “big city full of life and opportunities” and that having me commute from other small towns within the general area is not good enough for her. She does not have a relationship with her dad because she finally had enough of him being toxic and demeaning, which sounds very similar to how she is with me.

She carries with her a lot of spiritual hurt, emotional trauma and personal disappointment that has been building all her life and I feel I am the one stuck with the check now that she has hit her cap. During our the year leading up to our wedding we were both dealing with the specter of COVID while also being in a church with a new pastor we did not particularly agree with. Before she moved down she had asked me if I’d be flexible to look at attending a different church from the one I grew up in. I agreed that as a potential husband that I’d be willing to be a part of a different church through which we could be involved and grow our spirit. After a month she was pushing me to do that while we were still dating, but as I was serving as a deacon I felt it was it was not the right time for me to leave as 1) I wanted to do my part in helping to keep the church body stable during uncertain times and 2) it felt it was important for us to start our new marriage and see our first child delivered while not juggling the distraction of looking for a new church body. As she could sing very well and play the guitar, she helped with the worship team and felt that was her calling - but also complained that she did not receive any recognition or positive affirmation (like people were overlooking her efforts). While we enjoyed the people there, she did not get along with the new pastor at all and wanted to immediately leave as they had different mindsets and he was controlling of the music she wanted to sing. The time span between when she came down to when we left after our child was born was 2 years, but she has acted like it has completely broken her heart/spirit and that I was self-centered to keep us there (I completely underestimated at what I thought would be a brief time of a year or two that has completely unwound her and crippled her spirit even though we have left - I feel she is over the top and she feels I have no empathy).

I just don’t know what to do and what is best for our daughter. She is wearing me down with all of her yelling/screaming, anger, bitterness, depression/worry that will last for hours and even days without break. Based on what she has told me of her hating our family dynamic, hating the culture, not having the friends she had on the east coast, hating I work for a family business where she feels like I devote my time to and not her (always been real controlling of my time, energy and efforts) - I feel like this was all in the open before we got married and now this is not working for her. She laments that this is not the marriage and life she dreamed of, that she had done all the right things growing up and that she was owed happiness without personal drama or mental battles. My preferred love language to her would be performing’s acts of service to help out wherever needed, even with taking care of the baby to give her a chance to do something she enjoys for herself. She would prefer that we do everything together and have quality time, which usually devolves into me acting as her psychiatrist. She is jealous of me performing an act of service for anyone else as that takes time and focus away from her. Has anyone here dealt with issues like this?
I am reading “Living Successfully with Screwed-Up People” by Elizabeth B. Brown right now.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2023, 10:53:35 AM by shotgunneeley »
"Lord, let us feel pity for Private Jenkins, and sorrow for ourselves, and all the angel warriors that fall. Let us fear death, but let it not live within us. Protect us, O Lord, and be merciful unto us. Amen"-from FALLEN ANGELS by Walter Dean Myers

Game ID: ShtGn (Inactive), Squad: 91st BG

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
Re: Wife Ack: dealing with anxiety/depression
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2023, 10:54:01 AM »
That sounds in many parts like how it was with my first wife. When we sold our apartment after having been together for a decade she told me that we're going to move to separate addresses from there. But we stayed friends until she moved to another town and cut all contacts even to her family. Guess that tells what was going on although I didn't see the symptoms. So finally I changed all the changes and became my current self, having been happily married for almost 30 years with my new love. There's things you can't fix no matter what. Often times a split family is better for the children than an unhappy family if the rules can be agreed and followed. There's parents that poison the mindset of the child against the other parent and unfortunately it still often is the mother whose opinion has more weight even towards the authorities and the father is officially doomed to be the evil one. But there's also ex-pairs who foster their children without arguing, giving their offspring two happy homes instead of one unhappy.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2023, 11:14:25 AM »
power and guilt.

when my wife was around, we had to do the same things together. you didn't hear the fights over ah. finally I just said past six I get 6 hours to do whatever I want. I stuck to my guns would even reply unless there was some thing important she needed help.

eventually she got used to it and our relationship grew stronger.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline TheBug

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2023, 11:35:27 AM »
Seek professional help.
“It's a big ocean, you don't have to find the enemy if you don't want to."
  -Richard O'Kane

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2023, 12:04:30 PM »
Seek professional help.

this too. both of you.

semp

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2023, 12:11:53 PM »

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2023, 01:11:15 PM »
You should put her on health leave at work for a couple of months to let her cool down and raise the baby at home. Give her time to smell the flowers, get some rest, and feel some breeze.

It seems her spiritual side is not pleased. Seems like she needs a break to recoup. Perhaps a vacation to see her friend for a few days while you take care of the baby. Or doing something together for a weekend that is joyful and non stressful. Like a trip to cool town not too far away, fruit picking, Zoos, amusement parks, beach, ect. My wife and love to go drive around and get lost, check out local towns for the afternoon. Do something to avoid the "routine". Spiritual faith is not about going to church. It seems you are religious but there is an angry spirit bubbling up with your marriage. Not liking the pastor and all that stuff is a stressor, moreso than the 'faith' she feels being there. You have to realize that 'faith' is about believing in yourself with Gods guidance, moreso than it is for others to preach to you to make you or her happy. She is not in good spirits no matter how much anyone preaches to her.

You should try to keep her away from news/social media and focus on Watching sports or non traumatic shows/movies.

Look, I don't know you or your family. But it seems like you guys need to relax, take a few real big deep breathes(seriously, just sit together and do it), get away from the BS causing stress, get away from news and social media, change the routine, get out of the house, go on hikes, and find the joyful spirit again.

The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2023, 01:35:16 PM »
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2023, 03:41:03 PM »
Talking to a counselor together is perhaps a good thing to try.

Sometimes having a baby and then a youngster can bring new pressures that trigger new difficulties.  The past years of covid caused new difficulties for many folks as well.

There are suggestions a person won't accept if they come from a spouse, but might if they come from a counselor.

I hope that things smooth out for you, my friend.  My best wishes are with you and your family.

Offline Elfie

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2023, 10:50:36 PM »
I’m about to be 33 and my wife is about to be 34. I grew up in the same small-town Arkansas all my life while she bounced around on the east coast (army brat). We met each other in 2018 as a long-distance relationship, she moved to my local town in 2019 as I was locked into my family-business and she did not have much holding her back on the east coast, we married in 2020 and welcomed our daughter in 2021.

While dating she was very fun to be around. We had similar interests, similar goals and aspirations, we were both Christian (I grew up baptist and she was more non-denominational / charismatic). Our biggest difference is our personality/temperament - she is an ENFJ / melancholy type while I am more of a ISTJ / phlegmatic type. She has always been highly opinionated which i liked thinking it was self-confidence and her taking initiative, but it turns out she desperately craves affirmation and value from others. If someone or a group disagrees with her on what to do, you might as well have kicked her and told her she was worthless. She has a polarizing personality where some people love/like her while others are put off. By her own admission she is overly analytical and emotionally sensitive. Ever since COVID hit the scene and the birth of our little girl, she has been highly anxious about health and safety (overly concerned about her own mortality as her mother died young from cancer); she has deep depression from the state of the world and that she does not fit into the culture. She told me that she loves me but that I am not good for her and has declared that she is not good for me to despite protest and exasperation. When things don’t go her way or plan she breaks down in a crying fury while I try to console her telling her it will be OK and we will adjust, which infuriates her more because she sees that as me sweeping things under the rug or being a pushover. Meanwhile, if things don’t go according to my plan I had set up, she rages at me for not listening to her as she suddenly has 20/20 wisdom and discernment. She is so full of anger, bitterness and jealousy. My grandpa started the business, my dad runs it now and I handle a lot of tech work. My wife angrily tells me I should ask for more money so she can stay at home with our daughter (but she is also scoffs at that “traditional” thought of her not having a career where she feels like she is “making her mark on the world”) because she sees them as living in a big house when my mom could stay at home to raise my sister and I. My parents stayed with us for a week at our family cabin (we had just sold our house to be looking into a different area for me to commute to work) when brought the baby home from the hospital - my dad asked me to weed the pond on day 2 and I actually looked forward to some exercise, but my wife said it broke her that even though I was 30 yards away cleaning outside for an hour she has continued to rant at me for not prioritizing her instead and supporting her and the baby. She has gained weight down here and there are 80yr olds who run circles around her - she gets in the dumps and has 0 energy. I have given given up or limited my hobbies and interests that I did before we were married and had the baby so I could focus more on them when I was not working, but she is angry that as I am part of this family business that I cannot move to a “big city full of life and opportunities” and that having me commute from other small towns within the general area is not good enough for her. She does not have a relationship with her dad because she finally had enough of him being toxic and demeaning, which sounds very similar to how she is with me.

She carries with her a lot of spiritual hurt, emotional trauma and personal disappointment that has been building all her life and I feel I am the one stuck with the check now that she has hit her cap. During our the year leading up to our wedding we were both dealing with the specter of COVID while also being in a church with a new pastor we did not particularly agree with. Before she moved down she had asked me if I’d be flexible to look at attending a different church from the one I grew up in. I agreed that as a potential husband that I’d be willing to be a part of a different church through which we could be involved and grow our spirit. After a month she was pushing me to do that while we were still dating, but as I was serving as a deacon I felt it was it was not the right time for me to leave as 1) I wanted to do my part in helping to keep the church body stable during uncertain times and 2) it felt it was important for us to start our new marriage and see our first child delivered while not juggling the distraction of looking for a new church body. As she could sing very well and play the guitar, she helped with the worship team and felt that was her calling - but also complained that she did not receive any recognition or positive affirmation (like people were overlooking her efforts). While we enjoyed the people there, she did not get along with the new pastor at all and wanted to immediately leave as they had different mindsets and he was controlling of the music she wanted to sing. The time span between when she came down to when we left after our child was born was 2 years, but she has acted like it has completely broken her heart/spirit and that I was self-centered to keep us there (I completely underestimated at what I thought would be a brief time of a year or two that has completely unwound her and crippled her spirit even though we have left - I feel she is over the top and she feels I have no empathy).

I just don’t know what to do and what is best for our daughter. She is wearing me down with all of her yelling/screaming, anger, bitterness, depression/worry that will last for hours and even days without break. Based on what she has told me of her hating our family dynamic, hating the culture, not having the friends she had on the east coast, hating I work for a family business where she feels like I devote my time to and not her (always been real controlling of my time, energy and efforts) - I feel like this was all in the open before we got married and now this is not working for her. She laments that this is not the marriage and life she dreamed of, that she had done all the right things growing up and that she was owed happiness without personal drama or mental battles. My preferred love language to her would be performing’s acts of service to help out wherever needed, even with taking care of the baby to give her a chance to do something she enjoys for herself. She would prefer that we do everything together and have quality time, which usually devolves into me acting as her psychiatrist. She is jealous of me performing an act of service for anyone else as that takes time and focus away from her. Has anyone here dealt with issues like this?
I am reading “Living Successfully with Screwed-Up People” by Elizabeth B. Brown right now.

She is toxic. Leave.

I filed for divorce on January 17th after 30 years of marriage to a narcissistic sociopath. I thought I could out-love her child-hood trauma. I was wrong.

Leave my friend. You'll be glad you did.

I suspect your wife might be a narcissist, looke up Dr Les Carter and Dr Ramani on YouTube. Watch a few of their videos and see if things don't start to become clearer for you.
Corkyjr on country jumping:
In the end you should be thankful for those players like us who switch to try and help keep things even because our willingness to do so, helps a more selfish, I want it my way player, get to fly his latewar uber ride.

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2023, 09:08:38 AM »
My heart goes out to you my brother, you path appears to be very difficult. While Love hides a multitude of sins, in this world of ours, there are limits. Our youngest son is married to a women that sounds just like your situation, and we have not seen them in over 10 years, even living in the same town. Others here have shared their opinion, but the decision is yours. I would encourage you to pray fervently for the Lords direction, and ask others to pray for you both. I have added you to my prayer list. God knows what you need.
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2023, 10:22:27 AM »
Rather than relying on comments on the board here, please do as advised above and seek professional help. Do not try to do your own psycho analysis of either yourself or your wife. Get some counseling and work with it to salvage the situation.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline shotgunneeley

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2023, 06:40:52 PM »
Yeah thanks for all the responses. I have been looking through other marriage forums as well and i’m getting the same consensus - seek professional counseling. We have reached out to one - looks like he is experienced in a lot of the topics that are hitting us.
"Lord, let us feel pity for Private Jenkins, and sorrow for ourselves, and all the angel warriors that fall. Let us fear death, but let it not live within us. Protect us, O Lord, and be merciful unto us. Amen"-from FALLEN ANGELS by Walter Dean Myers

Game ID: ShtGn (Inactive), Squad: 91st BG

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2023, 10:17:09 PM »
awesome  :aok

Offline GasTeddy

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2023, 05:31:22 AM »
Yeah thanks for all the responses. I have been looking through other marriage forums as well and i’m getting the same consensus - seek professional counseling. We have reached out to one - looks like he is experienced in a lot of the topics that are hitting us.

I hope it works, as from experience I know those who are most in a need of help are furiously refusing it, as problem is always in other persons. That's why me and the mother of my son are nowadays living 60km apart.

Wish you luck, in our case no help was accepted from her side. Cannot argue or even discuss about possible problems with someone who's always right in every aspect.
The Mad   CatMan!