Author Topic: Saving KOTH  (Read 2023 times)

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
Saving KOTH
« on: February 17, 2023, 08:35:39 AM »
Let's brainstorm here and figure out how to save what many of us find the best entertainment AH has to offer

<S> fuzeman for the years of enjoyment his hours of hosting this event have given many of us!

One idea was to make KOTH a quarterly event

Thoughts?

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
Re: Saving KOTH
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2023, 04:14:53 PM »
I say ignore the newbies as most are dead within minutes of fights on and only a few if any of the newbies make it to the end of a KOTH

First, I want to say that this is not the right approach if you want to keep KOTH events going! 😉

Eagler or anyone who is willing and able should apply to be a KOTH CM....Whether it be quarterly or monthly  for 2023...but as I type this according to the Aces High main website it already says KOTH will be continued to be hosted...???

"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Lazerr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2023, 04:31:29 PM »
Airspawn, everyone in icons range.  Once you spawn, fights on.

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2023, 05:18:36 PM »
I led you astray. We, at least I do, know how to restart having KOTH. Attendance!
If we could guarantee 15+ people every week I’d be there!
The question is - why don’t more people attend; ie your average AH player who enjoys dogfighting.
I can say every month, every single one, in 2022 at T-15 minutes I wasn't sure there would be enough people to actually run the event.
For TC, I don't see any KOTH’s on the 2023 calendar.

Quarterly- how you going to populate the TOC? Every other year?
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline TequilaChaser

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2023, 11:12:14 AM »
For TC, I don't see any KOTH’s on the 2023 calendar.

I understand what you're saying and going by,  just saying why would HTC post it on that post on the Aces High website 🤔

As for increasing the participants.to show and wanting to keep coming back to participate in KOTH,  all the participants like the people who are entered into the 2022 KOTH TOC event,  HAVE TO AND NEED TO INVITE OTHERS TO COME GIVE "KOTH" A TRY ... THEN ENCOURAGE THEM, HELP THEM TO KEEP TRYING TO GET BETTER TO CARRY ON THE TRADITION OF PASSING IT FORWARD TO OTHERS REGARDLESS IF THEY ARE OLDER OR YOUNGER... THIS IS HOW YOU KEEP THIS EVENT GOING FORWARD! NUFF' SAID!

Provided that Someone has the balls to step up and be  a KOTH CM ! 🤙
« Last Edit: February 18, 2023, 11:14:32 AM by TequilaChaser »
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline nopoop

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2023, 02:59:46 PM »
Well for those that know me you know that I am just in this game for the fights. I love Monday night madness and love running into a one on one in the main regardless of whether I have the advantage or not.

The thing with Koth is that the participants are pretty much the best in air to air in this game.

Found Eagler in the main yesterday and new it was him because it was a lone C205. I'm game and got my donut handed to me two or three times. Love it win or lose.

With Koth it's add another nine lol.  Plane choice kills it. Sorry I have never flown a stuka or most of any of the other choices that pop up.

So in competing, I go up against 9 Aces in a plane that most of the time I have no experience in..at all

Can you say intimidating  ?

Not including being unfamiliar with the rules..

That doesn't spell fun to me lol

Don't see a way around it.

Just my thoughts.
nopoop

It's ALL about the fight..

Offline TequilaChaser

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2023, 03:29:27 PM »
Hey nopoop, knowing that you really enjoy the fight is the absolute main reason to participate in KOTH events!

The best way to improve your skills is to dogfight those who you think are better than yourself and continue to do it in every arena (except for special events like FSO and Scenarios where you got to really fly more cautious with your designated squad)

Yes indeed it can be very intimidating, I agree.... but if you really have the desire to improve your abilities to go up against any plane type, KOTH  will really help you get there and you will learn what most all the different planes abilities are so when you play in other arenas you will know what your opponents plane will do regardless if you're flying a different plane or the same as your opponent!

STICK created and designed the KOTH event way back in AirWarrior many years ago and the older special event is Scenarios that I can recall which goes back to the early 90s...

I encourage you and anyone else that really wants to improve and see how far they can go to get to their best, to participate in KOTH and fly Monday Night Madness as well as the MA,  Scenarios,  FSO

And get with others that you think are better and ask them to help you with your dogfighting abilities

I'm not anywhere near the best, I am  just one that loves the fight! But also I think that everyone should pay it forward as my Damned brothers helped me years ago as well as Rapier and Dragn of the Musketeers and Boozr and Mute of the 4th FG way back in AW and then they invited me to be a trainer and it just went on from there!

I  hope this helps you look at it with an open mind and give it a try 😉

Cheers 🍻

TC

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2023, 03:50:26 PM »
Well for those that know me you know that I am just in this game for the fights. I love Monday night madness and love running into a one on one in the main regardless of whether I have the advantage or not.

The thing with Koth is that the participants are pretty much the best in air to air in this game.

Found Eagler in the main yesterday and new it was him because it was a lone C205. I'm game and got my donut handed to me two or three times. Love it win or lose.

With Koth it's add another nine lol.  Plane choice kills it. Sorry I have never flown a stuka or most of any of the other choices that pop up.

So in competing, I go up against 9 Aces in a plane that most of the time I have no experience in..at all

Can you say intimidating  ?

Not including being unfamiliar with the rules..

That doesn't spell fun to me lol

Don't see a way around it.

Just my thoughts.

-{S}- nopoop and thanks for your post. Your input is what’s needed.
It made about a thousand things start rattling in my coconut and I’ll have to re-read my reply a hundred times to make sure it makes sense, to you.

One thing that made noise upstairs before your post was a KOTH type event where any previous KOTH winner is not allowed to fly in. That eliminates many of the Red Barons you don’t want to fight but not all the good pilots which is a negative for you.
I don’t think that would attract many though.
But keep this in mind regarding that Red Baron; they may not be in ‘their’ ride, if you do it right you don’t have to fight him alone. By that I mean he may already be in a fight so it’s not you against him. You can split your SA and fight between all those in your fight but you decide who’s the most dangerous and needs to be killed first. Of course you still need to shoot others if they get in your sight but you can sort of concentrate on whomever you think is the most dangerous adversary in your engagement. Of course if they are a wabbit; which means they win and event ends with their next round win, we allow them to be ganged up on.
Rules. I’ll agree it has it’s share but they’re there for good reasons and they make sense once your used to them.
[ Using the iPhonie Balonie to reply and almost lost all the above. ]
I better post this as I see someone else added something and I don’t want to find this sgain.
I think I have more to add.

Addition 1 [ stay tuned ] Yes we fly a wide variety of planes, pretty much anything where the pilot has a gun, but you get to know those planes pros and cons and that can only help your fighter pilot foundation.

Addition 2 We need attendance. We have a CM trained and willing to host a KOTH event. I think that knuckleheads gameID is fuzeman.   :bolt:
« Last Edit: February 19, 2023, 03:58:24 PM by fuzeman »
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

Offline Bopgun

• Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2023, 05:20:49 PM »
I was seriously considering reaching out for info to become a CM and try to keep the KOTH event going month to month. Sadly I’ll be tied up for the next few months with Critical Care course for my job. Hopefully after that’s over I can help in any and all efforts to reinvigorate the KOTH event
Ingame: StepSis

Stuck in the Washing machine!

Offline TequilaChaser

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2023, 10:29:57 PM »
Addition 2 We need attendance. We have a CM trained and willing to host a KOTH event. I think that knuckleheads gameID is fuzeman.   

We Appreciate all you do! and Love You,  Dave!

Also,  I am Glad that you speak your mind, rather than bite your tongue!

Edit: just for clarification before I get called on it, since I can't go back and edit a previous post... STICK only created KOTH  (he did not create the Scenarios)
« Last Edit: February 19, 2023, 10:37:48 PM by TequilaChaser »

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2023, 08:16:56 AM »
I am for previous winners of a KOTH for that year not be allowed to win it again that year...they should be able to participate though

That is why I suggested the 4th round win before previous winners became wabbits...

That is also why I  don't participate at 100% 100% of the time in KOTH...I  realize we need ppl to do well or no one will show up

Eagler

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline TequilaChaser

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2023, 11:46:16 AM »
That is also why I  don't participate at 100% 100% of the time in KOTH...I  realize we need ppl to do well or no one will show up

Good Lord,  I  started doing that way back in like 2010....hahaha 👍 🤣 😂 🤣

~☆S☆~ and Cheers 🍻

TC

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2023, 06:55:05 PM »
Remember there are pudknockers and donutwoods [ < poop filter LoL ] like me who give it ‘their all’ every round they could fly and maybe get to last two.

KOTH winners would hate this but similar to ganging wabbits we could allow that for any KOTH winner.

And you can’t erase posts but after thinking about that, that’s one noise in the coconut I should not have payed attention to.
‘donutwoods’ was worth it though  :aok

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2023, 07:58:13 AM »
Hoping for a good turn out tomorrow  :airplane:

Thanks again fuzeman..see you and all you other aces then!

Eagler

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2023, 01:54:44 PM »
Airspawn, everyone in icons range.  Once you spawn, fights on.

I actually wouldn't mind this just to give it a shot. Would save a lot of time too.

If anything, would be cool to try to have koth once a quarter atleast. Unfortunately, our kind of fighter ACM type guys just aren't around as much anymore. Unfortunately, I'm just not in the time of my life where I can know if I'll be able to play or not. My wife is a crazy planner and there are certain weekends I have to take for work.

The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion