Author Topic: Sometimes Youtube Algos Comes up with Gems  (Read 472 times)

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
Sometimes Youtube Algos Comes up with Gems
« on: February 17, 2023, 12:16:11 PM »

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline sparky127

• Nickel Member
Re: Sometimes Youtube Algos Comes up with Gems
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2023, 08:30:59 PM »
Justin Hawkins did a video on this guy and I have to agree that he's probably stumbled upon a new artform.

Offline -gg-

• Silver Member
      • IceCreamOnMars
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2023, 11:32:54 AM »
Pretty amazing, and especially since he's doing everything independent.

We live in good times for independent  music artists. We have the tools now in our bedrooms that used to be exclusive to large studios. It used to be that you had to get signed to a label and then they had to distribute it if you wanted anyone to even have a chance of hearing your stuff.

The downside is that there really is no money for artists in record sales or streaming. Literally peanuts. You have to tour and sell merchandise.

But this guy has talent.
Icecreamonmars.com. ICOM for short.

Offline perdue3

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2023, 12:18:21 PM »
Well, art is subjective.
C.O. Kommando Nowotny 

FlyKommando.com

Offline sparky127

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2023, 12:28:03 PM »
Yeah... It ain't Jim Dandy..

Offline -gg-

• Silver Member
      • IceCreamOnMars
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2023, 12:56:27 PM »
I don't have to like something in order to recognize and acknowledge talent.

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2023, 01:22:48 PM »
I don't have to like something in order to recognize and acknowledge talent.

I don't know if I would listen twice, but I like to enjoy the occasional odd performance.  Just something different.  Anything other than the bland homogenized culture we have now.  Even though they stopped making good music after Joshua Tree. ;)

Don't get me started on movies.  If they release one more comic book movie.....uhhg.  I was reading a article a while back basically saying, too bad; get used to it.

Movies are so expensive now that risks can't be taken.  Sequels have a lot less risk than a new story.  If the original was popular you a have a built in potential audience, which reduces risk a lot.

Nuanced stories that may assume some knowledge of the native culture or subtleties of the language don't necessarily translate well into other languages.  King Lear is just not quite the same translated into Mandurian.

What works well with foreign audiences is simple, two dimensional story's of unambiguous, easily identifiable good guys and bad guys. The plot is kept down to CGI explosions...  I'm the good guy!  That's the bad guy.  Punch the bad guy in the nose!!!  Victory!!!

That is simple, direct, easily translatable to all different cultures.

That's why they love comic book movies.   Those are kept simple enough to guarantee appeal abroad.   They need to foreign box office now to make back the massive budgets.  Overseas is where at least half the money is at.

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline -gg-

• Silver Member
      • IceCreamOnMars
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2023, 01:27:14 PM »

I don't know if I would listen twice, but I like to enjoy the occasional odd performance.  Just something different.  Anything other than the bland homogenized culture we have now.  Even though they stopped making good music after Joshua Tree. ;)

Don't get me started on movies.  If they release one more comic book movie.....uhhg.  I was reading a article a while back basically saying, too bad; get used to it.

Movies are so expensive now that risks can't be taken.  Sequels have a lot less risk than a new story.  If the original was popular you a have a built in potential audience, which reduces risk a lot.

Nuanced stories that may assume some knowledge of the native culture or subtleties of the language don't necessarily translate well into other languages.  King Lear is just not quite the same translated into Mandurian.

What works well with foreign audiences is simple, two dimensional story's of unambiguous, easily identifiable good guys and bad guys. The plot is kept down to CGI explosions...  I'm the good guy!  That's the bad guy.  Punch the bad guy in the nose!!!  Victory!!!

That is simple, direct, easily translatable to all different cultures.

That's why they love comic book movies.   Those are kept simple enough to guarantee appeal abroad.   They need to foreign box office now to make back the massive budgets.  Overseas is where at least half the money is at.

I pretty much agree. I like originality and this guy is very original. It's got classical and opera kind of vibe. It's art to me an not just some stupid pop song. He's got a lot of talent - in his playing, his voice and even the production.

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2023, 06:46:55 PM »

All I got served was Charo.