Author Topic: Windows Power Management  (Read 433 times)

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
Windows Power Management
« on: February 21, 2023, 11:10:57 AM »
I've always been a tweaker and have always gone into my power settings in the device manager and gone device by device, especially the USB items, and unticked windows power management so windows doesn't shut stuff off for my convenience. When gaming I'll use an ultiimate power plan with usb selective suspend unticked and otherwise full horsepower. In fact, I've unticked that in every power plan on my PC. I'll make a lap of these settings and invariably I'll find a bunch of them turned back on again. So annoying as ticking through them all takes time. Is there any way to make these settings stick? I mean if I untick them that they stay unticked unless I turn them on again.
"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
Re: Windows Power Management
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2023, 11:16:07 AM »
You on Windows 11?  Drano
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2023, 11:22:07 AM »
Yes, they seem to return to ticked every now and then, for what I know that happens at least after driver updates. Maybe after version updates, too. Or other major updates. Microsoft doesn't tell...

You can prevent Windows from updating your drivers: https://www.makeuseof.com/windows-stop-automatic-driver-updates/.

Also notice that any automatic driver updater program does the same, the tick is there by default.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2023, 05:46:36 PM »
Thanks, Biz. I'm one that regularly keeps my driver's for everything updated unless they screw something up or I hear they're bad. In which case I'll either stick with the version in running or roll back.

No TC I'm still on Win10/64. Not going to Win11 until I have to or until they get it together with VR. I can't play anything on a monitor now!

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline Animl-AW

• Silver Member
      • Animl - YouTube
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2023, 05:47:32 PM »
It could, and maybe even most likely, be happening during windows updates.
Most update builds use and can implement default settings. I noticed this in one other area.

A quick fix COULD be to make these settings in the registry and export those specific settings into a .reg file. IF that is the fix, you'd just have to run that file after every update. The registry address and setting can be easily found. Might be worth a try.