Author Topic: questions  (Read 644 times)

Offline Ramesis

• Silver Member
questions
« on: February 22, 2023, 03:08:29 PM »
Well guys, I have pretty decided on the tm16000 fcs for my hotas and the quest 2 for the vr... I am going to rely on the twist axis
of this stick for yaw but I still have a few questions about the quest 2
1) How much RAM does AH need?
2) From what I have read, it seems I could play AH from a download from Meta or from the AH s/w...
    have I misread this?
3) I also read that with directly with AH, the quest 2 is actually an extension of my monitor
4) I am near sighted and so do I need the optional lenses?
5) Do the hotas/quest 2 interfere with each other?
6) Is a headset needed so that members of my householddo not hear the cussing
    from myself or others?
7) How is the  quest 2 connected... bluetooth, wifi or cable?

I am sure I will have more questions but the above, to me, are the main
Thx, RAM
"Would you tell me, please,
 which way I ought to go from here?
 That depends a good deal on where
 you want to get to. Said the cat."
    Charles Lutwidge Dodgson a.k.a. Lewis Carroll

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
Re: questions
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2023, 04:59:13 PM »
Well guys, I have pretty decided on the tm16000 fcs for my hotas and the quest 2 for the vr... I am going to rely on the twist axis
of this stick for yaw but I still have a few questions about the quest 2
1) How much RAM does AH need?

I have the 128GB version and have no trouble. I also only play a couple of games in VR so dont need a lot.

2) From what I have read, it seems I could play AH from a download from Meta or from the AH s/w...
    have I misread this?

I launch "voiceattack", the quest ii, then click the DX11 version of AH on the desktop, click the "yes" when it askes If I want to do VR and off we go. Voice Attack is a program (free for 10 commands, $10 for unlimited commands) that you can tie voice commands to key commands. Works really good.

3) I also read that with directly with AH, the quest 2 is actually an extension of my monitor

The monitor will mirror the Quest video.

4) I am near sighted and so do I need the optional lenses?

I use inserts and they work well. Mine isnt horrible and I CAN run without, but prefer the lens. Dont use your glasses unless you have something small that sits close to your face. Scratching the quest screens would suck.

5) Do the hotas/quest 2 interfere with each other?

I havnt any trouble. If I leave them on my desk they set off the warning grid that warns you if you roaming out of your play area, so I just loop the handles over the arms of my chair.

6) Is a headset needed so that members of my house hold do not hear the cussing from myself or others?

I havnt gotten any complains, but yes others can hear what your hearing. Not sure how comfortable a headset OVER the Quest would be

7) How is the  quest 2 connected... bluetooth, wifi or cable?

WIFI, but you can buy a cable (do some research, some dont work well with the quest ii) This gives you longer play times as the headset runs off the USB power with the cable.

I am sure I will have more questions but the above, to me, are the main
Thx, RAM

Bring em!   :aok

Offline Mayhem

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.damned.org
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2023, 01:42:13 PM »
I have the 128GB version and have no trouble. I also only play a couple of games in VR so dont need a lot.

Ummm thats pretty much the max ram you can put on most motherboards. He should only need about 16Gb of Ram for AH and most games even in VR 32gb for DCS and it's bigger maps, anything more is overkill.

I'm going to be blunt IF the OP has not purchased the Quest 2 .... don't!

Every one of my squad mates that has had the Quest 2 has had major problems with it and dumped it on an EX-Girlfriend/wife and either gotten the Index or the Reverb G2, Mostly the Index.
"Destination anywhere! So Far Gone, I'm almost There."
The Damned! (Est. 1988) Damned if we do - No fun if we don't!
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2023, 05:59:27 PM »
Ummm thats pretty much the max ram you can put on most motherboards. He should only need about 16Gb of Ram for AH and most games even in VR 32gb for DCS and it's bigger maps, anything more is overkill.

I'm going to be blunt IF the OP has not purchased the Quest 2 .... don't!

Every one of my squad mates that has had the Quest 2 has had major problems with it and dumped it on an EX-Girlfriend/wife and either gotten the Index or the Reverb G2, Mostly the Index.

No, the 128 GB is the Quest's ram. SYstem ram for the game is a recommended 8 GB, but most computers these days come with more than that standard. I have 32 in mine and again, no issues.

Offline Ramesis

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2023, 01:48:32 PM »
Thx for all the answers but after a Drs appointment 1-2 days ago, it seems I may have thyroid cancer so I will put off
my itch to regain the unfriendly skies of AH... I have insurance but I really do not know how much out of pocket this
will cost so I need to keep my money close to the vest... I will let ya'll know if I can return
 :salute Ram
"Would you tell me, please,
 which way I ought to go from here?
 That depends a good deal on where
 you want to get to. Said the cat."
    Charles Lutwidge Dodgson a.k.a. Lewis Carroll

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2023, 02:01:49 PM »
Thx for all the answers but after a Drs appointment 1-2 days ago, it seems I may have thyroid cancer so I will put off
my itch to regain the unfriendly skies of AH... I have insurance but I really do not know how much out of pocket this
will cost so I need to keep my money close to the vest... I will let ya'll know if I can return
 :salute Ram

Dang,  hate to hear that... if they put you on that thyroid pill/ dose do not miss a dose...

Will keep you in my thoughts
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2023, 03:21:21 PM »
Sorry to hear that, Ram. Stay tough. They do some amazing things these days.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2023, 11:37:47 PM »
Ramesis, I'm sorry to hear that.  You said "may" -- so I hope it turns out negative.  If not, I hope for the quickest best treatment and recovery.  Best wishes to you.