Author Topic: Bare metal Thunderbolt work-in-progress  (Read 1474 times)

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
Bare metal Thunderbolt work-in-progress
« on: February 22, 2023, 10:53:00 PM »
I've been working hard on this one but still have a lot to do.  Lots of details to add yet and I'm using the default N-map so it doesn't quite match my rivet and panel lines.  I've been through quite a few iterations and alterations, but this one gives a pretty good idea of how my bare metal texture is coming along on the Thunderbolt.   I think the bubbletop P-47 is a fine-looking aircraft, with strong, clean and graceful lines.  And actually prettier as a bare aluminum bird than in olive drab I think.

Click for full-size image

I have a few ideas of some schemes I'm planning to work up but I'm also open to suggestions.

February is a short month and I still have so much to do; I'm not sure if I can get one done by the next skin batch review.  The 1st is next week already.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2023, 11:00:40 PM by oboe »

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
Re: Bare metal Thunderbolt work-in-progress
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2023, 11:50:14 PM »
Damn, that's looking amazing already.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2023, 02:03:38 AM »
 :aok

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2023, 02:04:13 AM »
Looking really good so far Oboe.

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2023, 11:21:51 AM »
Very very very nice. 
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
325th VFG - "The Checkertails"
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2023, 02:36:49 PM »
Oboe.........a lot of people in game know that I am a proponent of the Jug.  Big fan I may say and have done a lot of research on the and the 56th and 78th.

Looks great..............I'll be following closely on this one.  A bare metal finished Razorback I love.

Just sayin'n  :rock
- The Flying Circus -

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2023, 03:04:28 PM »
Thanks, guys.

Hajo,

Thank you, I thought of you nearly every time I placed a row of rivets  :lol.  I will adapt this metal skin base to the Razorback, D-40 and N models, so if you have a particular favorite P-47 that hasn't been done yet, please post a suggestion here. 

It was this video the triggered my interested in skinning the Jug:

:salute

« Last Edit: February 23, 2023, 03:08:01 PM by oboe »

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2023, 06:40:09 PM »
Thanks, guys.

Hajo,

Thank you, I thought of you nearly every time I placed a row of rivets  :lol.  I will adapt this metal skin base to the Razorback, D-40 and N models, so if you have a particular favorite P-47 that hasn't been done yet, please post a suggestion here. 

It was this video the triggered my interested in skinning the Jug:

:salute

The unmistakable sound of an R-2800 is fantastic!  Thanks for posting!  Fencer sent me a clip of this on our BBS awhile ago.  Thanks for reminding me how awesome the R2800 sounds!

There are two I really like.  There are color plates of two that I really like as Razorbacks.  I don't know if you are familiar with the Osprey Aircraft of the Aces series.  In that book there are 42 color plates of the P47.  The title of the book is P47 Thunderbolt Aces of the Eighth Air Force.  I don't know how accurate they are though. First is tail number 225512 a D21 flown by Capt. Robert Johnson of the 62nd FS/56th FG.  It's the famous Penrod and Sam named after Johnson' ground crew.The other is a 78th FG a 47 flown by Quince Brown, also a D21 with tail number 225698.  It has the checkerboard black and white cowling of that famed FG, 84th FS/78th FG.

Again I don't know how accurate they are, both planes and tail number.  It would be nice to see either in game if they aren't already there.  There are two Razorbacks unfinished in the inventory.  One is a 78th and one a 56th but not of the aircraft I mentioned.

Thanks!
Hajo
« Last Edit: February 23, 2023, 06:53:05 PM by Hajo »
- The Flying Circus -

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2023, 08:48:49 PM »
I'm not at my gaming computer right now but I'm sure Penrod and Sam is in game, and I want to say there is a bare metal Razorback fro the 78th already - I think Greebo may have done it, so its top hole.  Coded MX-G if I recall correctly...

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2023, 09:09:44 PM »
Here's my request for a bare metal D-25: "Mister Lucky" from the 86th FS / 79th FG.

Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2023, 09:56:55 PM »
Very nice Oboe. :aok
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2023, 11:09:37 AM »
Here's my request for a bare metal D-25: "Mister Lucky" from the 86th FS / 79th FG.

(Image removed from quote.)

I did some research and could not find any color profiles of this aircraft.  Not sure what color the canopy frame is, or the namne lettering.  Typical 79th FG tail is painted True Blue with Yellow lightning bolts, but this one looks to have an un-painted tail, with maybe blue bolts?

The 79th FG has a fantastic websire btw.  Absolutely first rate.

https://79thfightergroup.com

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2023, 12:58:19 PM »
I did some research and could not find any color profiles of this aircraft.  Not sure what color the canopy frame is, or the namne lettering.  Typical 79th FG tail is painted True Blue with Yellow lightning bolts, but this one looks to have an un-painted tail, with maybe blue bolts?

The 79th FG has a fantastic websire btw.  Absolutely first rate.

Yeah, that's where I got the pics.

As far as the colors, I believe the tail and canopy frame are True Blue with the lighting bolts and lettering are yellow. Maybe the frame is red?

If you're not sure about X27 then Maybe you would rather tackle X35? All I really want is a D-25 from the 85th with the flying skull emblem on the cowl and the blue tail with lighting bolts.

Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline Dadtallica

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2023, 04:41:53 PM »
Love that tail. Kinda reminds of the white diamond 47N skin I use a lot.
Back in 2022 after a loooooong break from 2010. Old name Ratpack, same for the BBS.

Squad I did the most tours with were the Excaliburs then The 172nd Rabid Dogs. Still trying to talk Illigaf, Coola, Oldman22, and Joecrow into coming back instead of being boring old farts!

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2023, 07:10:53 PM »
Typical 79th FG tail is painted True Blue with Yellow lightning bolts, but this one looks to have an un-painted tail, with maybe blue bolts?

Greebo and I had this same debate on this very aircraft X27. A person made a comment on a Facebook  page that caught my eye.

Its the type of film used that causes that image.
To verify I found another plane X70 taken with two different types of film.
If you didn't know the film was different you would just assume two different paint jobs on the same plane.