Author Topic: Challenge's Challenge  (Read 1927 times)

Offline Animl-AW

• Silver Member
      • Animl - YouTube
Re: Challenge's Challenge
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2023, 07:20:42 PM »
After watching Challnger's videos, and DLing FMOD,..... there is a great chance that doing his files may not happen.
One thing I know, the guy was authentic, knew what he was talking about, and did all the proper research.
He did mention copyrights in one video.

Not omly would it take some time to learn FMOD and what all my options are,... I would have to rework his files, and the amount of thought and research he put into them took a boat load of time a research, and a lot of knowledge. some of which I don't have. To come to his level of the work he put into it would take some time, at the worst time of the year for me to start big projects.

I'm not saying I can't do it, I'm saying I certainly don't have the time right now that he put into it. I sure wish we could have worked on this together. I can see where it took him a yr or more, and if I understand him right, he never got all the recordings/files he wanted.

I'll still look into it and hope I find a shortcut,... but even then they would probably have to be my own files and start from scratch.
MAYBE HT knows enough to fix his cpl errors, but he would be in the same boat,... the files, the project files,.. IF he or his wife would have even given permission.

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2023, 05:58:53 AM »
After watching Challnger's videos, and DLing FMOD,..... there is a great chance that doing his files may not happen.
One thing I know, the guy was authentic, knew what he was talking about, and did all the proper research.
He did mention copyrights in one video.

Not omly would it take some time to learn FMOD and what all my options are,... I would have to rework his files, and the amount of thought and research he put into them took a boat load of time a research, and a lot of knowledge. some of which I don't have. To come to his level of the work he put into it would take some time, at the worst time of the year for me to start big projects.

I'm not saying I can't do it, I'm saying I certainly don't have the time right now that he put into it. I sure wish we could have worked on this together. I can see where it took him a yr or more, and if I understand him right, he never got all the recordings/files he wanted.

I'll still look into it and hope I find a shortcut,... but even then they would probably have to be my own files and start from scratch.
MAYBE HT knows enough to fix his cpl errors, but he would be in the same boat,... the files, the project files,.. IF he or his wife would have even given permission.
JUST AS I TOLD CHALLNGE........If you run into "PRICE" Walls, as to acquiring Authentic Sounds...I WILL Donate Funds!!!!!!!!!!!!!  He never hit me up?   YES...I am weird like that....this would be a + towards my game play experience.
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline Animl-AW

• Silver Member
      • Animl - YouTube
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2023, 12:04:57 PM »
JUST AS I TOLD CHALLNGE........If you run into "PRICE" Walls, as to acquiring Authentic Sounds...I WILL Donate Funds!!!!!!!!!!!!!  He never hit me up?   YES...I am weird like that....this would be a + towards my game play experience.

That IS mighty big of you. And while I appreciate the offer, as anyone should, it may be a good idea to not talk about money. Rarely is anyone going to afford how it really should be done.

I'm long winded. I'm going to try my best to condense the book of War and Peace into a post. This may explain why (if at all) we may end up getting authentic recordings how ever we can, mostly likely internet based. They cannot come from another game. I consider cockpit recordings on youtube to be "authentic", proper sound in proper AC. OR as someon else mentioned, buy a CD.

Some repeats here.

He took on a lot for one person, over-whelming, and he did good. It would be most economical to just fix the errors. A massive shortcut.

This is a small team type job. The reason game sounds sound really good, but after a while not great, even exhausting,..the affordability to do it exactly right. Even they will grow old too. It's the constant long term listening that's burning it out, not the quality. I don't see major problems with the sounds, they could be tweaked a touch.

I'm confident that if I had real well done recordings, and the proper time to process them, that if you closed your eyes you would say "ya, I'm there", that would be the goal. The invoice would be staggering.

To Record AC Live
You have ONE $hot at getting it right. Plan for that accordingly. There are infinite variables.

As a team we would decide the definition of "Right". Is the end EQing to be realistic or theatrical, or a mix of both? Plan for both. Is the sound going to be with or without pilot headset on? Which mics will be used in which placement. Design the same system to be used on every object.

First expensive mics do not mean better. A lot has to do with sales. I prefer Shure mics, most widely used mic in the industry, most under $300, they EQ really easy, and flatter response. Sennheisers are expensive and quality (not a big fan), but EQing is like driving a truck with no power steering. Experience is the shortcut. This is where I could have been help to Chalenge. It CAN be done with 1-2 mics, but with money spent for the occasion, don't risk having to trash the recording as not usable. Go over-board. One shot-one-kill. This is how we do live productions, concerts or corporate events. we think of everything that could go wrong, we lose sleep over it.

I'm not even going to touch on the psychology of sound and why something you listen to constantly needs to be flawless and NOT compressed. A book all by itself.

Professional Recordings
I want that AC for 1 hour (rent?), I own it and everything within 100ft for one hour. The entire runtime of the engine is 5-10 minutes, the rest is setup time. If I could get a 5 minute ride recording that would be better. Also, it would have to be done on windless days. That said, sound reflections from concrete,..if I'm going over-board it would be done with the AC over carpet under the front half of the air-frame

Microphone positions
Mic pairing gives the full spectrum (two sets of ears) and can be mixed together as one, full, rich, sound.
Recordings with closed canopy and motionless pilot, warm engine.

All mics into one mixer, with 6 outputs to recorder, each output on it's own track. The gear can be rented.

Interior Sound
3 Mics
A Shure 91 (or PZM) and Shure 81 Condenser suspended from the top of the canopy with rubber bands.
A Shure Lavalier (used on TV news) mounted inside the headset muff, comm system turned off.

Exterior Sound
3 Mics, with proper windscreens
AKG 414 condenser at a 45 degree angle at the side of the prop.
Shure 52 and a Shure 81 condensor for the engine/exhaust. All must be outside of prop air flow.

You have 99 other AC and Vehicles to do,.. you ARE NOT going to get them all, simple fact.

Processing
Not only would you have that mass expense above, gear, travel, lodging, meals,...
It will take at least 40-60 8 hr days to process 200-400 files. 60 X $425 per day = $25,500.

Lets not talk money, unless someone is going to throw 200k in the bucket. For a game that we cannot even confirm will be around for another 2-3 years? However, such a thing could breathe more life. Yin-Yang. Pick your poison. Gamble?

This would be the ultimate in sound immersion.

What Chalenge did is priceless. If we can fix it kewl, if not, we'll just have to do the best we can with what ever we can acquire, even then it's a big project. I would not put all this on one person, it would be best to have a team tackle this. Acquiring files, sign-off on the EQing and volume mix, testing.

I'm still battling with my approach, I have very few answers.

« Last Edit: March 08, 2023, 02:35:57 PM by Animl-AW »

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2023, 04:24:55 AM »
Challenge told me the same thing. Edit my other post..."Never Hit Me Up=Take my offer..." Appreciate the offer but I have hit the wall.   Just to record engine sounds...PAY to Portray."   Eh, that was just me trying to Pay Back, because of the love I have for this game.  I already knew, this is a Pipe Dream.   Surely, there must be a way, to record from Challenge's AH2 sound packs, and convert them to HMOD Format?  As in.."I'm confident that if I had real well done recordings, and the proper time to process them, that if you closed your eyes you would say "ya, I'm there", that would be the goal. " ABSOLUTELY!  Question is, does anyone have AH2 anymore? Do they have Challenge's Sound Trac Files.....probably a SOLID "NOPE". To be honest...I can live with what he produced for AH3.  Just about every plane I fly, uses his engine/Gun sound pack! 

You put yer Pony, in my Gunsights!

You put yer Spit 16, in mine🤣
Those Merlins sound BADDARSE!!!!!
« Last Edit: March 10, 2023, 04:33:02 AM by 1stpar3 »
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline Animl-AW

• Silver Member
      • Animl - YouTube
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2023, 11:03:55 AM »
I'm waiting to hear from FMOD if accessing the files within the bank files can be done. I'm too new to it to find any shortcut answers, so I'm at the mercy of others, so far no joy. I read if it's just music it can be done, if it's for a game it's harder. We'll see if or what their response is. DO NOT get any hopes up. I just don't have the time to research this day in day out to find a simple solution.

I am really not fond at all about attempting any project at the mercy of others. I'd prolly be done fixing it already, I can't even get it kick started. YET.

This is probably the worst case scenario that can happen when implementing this type of system. It's really great, it really is, until it's not, and then it's a nightmare. I'm not saying it was a bad idea, the biggest companies use it. No one expects a person to pass mid-project.

I'll prolly start a thread in Custom SOunds as it should be and let this post run down river.

« Last Edit: March 10, 2023, 12:48:45 PM by Animl-AW »

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2023, 08:02:40 PM »
If Lyric would be so kind, it seems he knows the family. If he could get in contact with them and see if they would be willing to send what sound files they have so that Animl could fix and add to Challenges sound pack to continue his legacy in the game. They may be happy to help keep h"him" here in the game with his sounds.

What say you Lyric?

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2023, 01:42:03 AM »
If Lyric would be so kind, it seems he knows the family. If he could get in contact with them and see if they would be willing to send what sound files they have so that Animl could fix and add to Challenges sound pack to continue his legacy in the game. They may be happy to help keep h"him" here in the game with his sounds.

What say you Lyric?

Before I knew he was in very bad health and hospitalized I sent him a PM and that is when his wife answered on his behalf explaining his status. She had shut off his social media stuff because of his condition.
I did try the Phone number I had that also is off now.

I did pm Animl-AW to try AH messenger and hope his wife could help on his sounds. I don't think he had any luck there.
I will see if there is others within the squad that might have other details.

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2023, 05:11:53 AM »

What say you Lyric?
:salute My thoughts as well.   Hopefully these Sound Packs of his, could be converted to HMOD?   Not going to hold my breath, as Film/ Support from AH2 was lost, when AH3 launched.   I had TONS of saved videos..poof. Maybe if they have the raw recordings from AH2 files..maybe.... hope......? His AH3 sounds are good enough for me!   Yeah...merge with a foe...upon entering Ear Shot..start up sound from bandit :rofl Yeah...lots of 'Run Time...T-34 track sounds not stopping...ect. Bugs ...? Yes!  My MERLINS HUMMING=PRICELESS    MWK, Preaching, Professing his faith in God...with Challenge as the DJ/Sound guy...Heaven is gonna be Off The Chains!!!!!!!!!!!!! HEHEHE Off the chains.. IYKYK  :old:

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2023, 07:06:57 AM »
I'm pretty sure I have a working AH2 on one of my older PCs. On a Win7 drive that never sees the internet anymore. Heck I even built a hoopty PC with a bunch of old stuff during the pandemic that runs Air Warrior on 98se. Got any .cam files for that? I can make video from them! What is it you're looking for exactly? I probably have sound packs from AH2 in the downloads folder on that Win7 drive too.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2023, 08:27:41 AM »
Before I knew he was in very bad health and hospitalized I sent him a PM and that is when his wife answered on his behalf explaining his status. She had shut off his social media stuff because of his condition.
I did try the Phone number I had that also is off now.

I did pm Animl-AW to try AH messenger and hope his wife could help on his sounds. I don't think he had any luck there.
I will see if there is others within the squad that might have other details.

I'd hate to see his work just disappear. If you or somebody you know can contact them, AND Animl is will to do the work, I think it would be a great legacy to Challenge to have the sound pack fixed, and maybe extended (thought I saw him saying he was working on more sounds one time) and to be kept alive in the game.

:pray

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2023, 09:18:45 AM »
:salute My thoughts as well.   Hopefully these Sound Packs of his, could be converted to HMOD?   Not going to hold my breath, as Film/ Support from AH2 was lost, when AH3 launched.   I had TONS of saved videos..poof. Maybe if they have the raw recordings from AH2 files..maybe.... hope......? His AH3 sounds are good enough for me!   Yeah...merge with a foe...upon entering Ear Shot..start up sound from bandit :rofl Yeah...lots of 'Run Time...T-34 track sounds not stopping...ect. Bugs ...? Yes!  My MERLINS HUMMING=PRICELESS    MWK, Preaching, Professing his faith in God...with Challenge as the DJ/Sound guy...Heaven is gonna be Off The Chains!!!!!!!!!!!!! HEHEHE Off the chains.. IYKYK  :old:

Now for them there is no more preaching, its all about Praising the Lord for His Glory and Mercies.  :pray
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Online steely07

• Silver Member
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2023, 04:54:44 PM »
@1stpar3 AH2 Still works on even Win11, I re-recorded a film from 2012 using the AH2 film viewer and my screen recording software a couple of weeks ago, just be sure to install it in a different folder to your AH3 install of course!

https://youtu.be/mcO7g3tnbk0
Aces High, Wing Commander, Dickweed Heavy Bomber Group: www.dickweedhbg.com

FSO Films : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFs6CAXBQoVBctljybD65fA?view_as=subscriber

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2023, 10:56:43 PM »
@1stpar3 AH2 Still works on even Win11, I re-recorded a film from 2012 using the AH2 film viewer and my screen recording software a couple of weeks ago, just be sure to install it in a different folder to your AH3 install of course!

https://youtu.be/mcO7g3tnbk0

I'm a bit confused. I definitely see all AH1 stuff only in a mission from 2012?  :headscratch:
Steam: DrKalv
Elite:Dangerous: Snailman

Online steely07

• Silver Member
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2023, 06:28:03 PM »
I'm a bit confused. I definitely see all AH1 stuff only in a mission from 2012?  :headscratch:

My bad, I used the AH2 film viewer, you're right, it must be AH1 film, but the AH2 viewer was/is backwards compatible :)
Aces High, Wing Commander, Dickweed Heavy Bomber Group: www.dickweedhbg.com

FSO Films : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFs6CAXBQoVBctljybD65fA?view_as=subscriber

Offline Animl-AW

• Silver Member
      • Animl - YouTube
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2023, 03:14:34 PM »
One more layer of bad news.
The response from FMOD.

“ Hi,

I am really sorry about your situation, unfortunately, there is nothing we can do to edit the events inside a bank.

I am sorry I can’t assist further.”