Author Topic: How are the numbers?  (Read 1858 times)

Offline Prayer

• Copper Member
How are the numbers?
« on: March 08, 2023, 09:03:58 AM »
Looks like I am on the way back. Just put together my first build since 2010. I started AH in 03 or 04, I can’t believe it’s been that long. 2080ti (equal to a 3070) and a 5800x for about 900 bucks not including monitor. For the heck of it I seen a x52 and rudder pedals on Facebook market for 100 bucks, made a offer and won. Couldn’t imagine this kind of price even in 2010.

I’ve checked the boards from time to time through the years. How are the numbers looking? Looking forward to getting up and seeing some older names. The rust will be thick.

Oculus quest 2 is kind of on the way…daughter requested one for her birthday on the 22nd  :pray :joystick:

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Re: How are the numbers?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2023, 09:17:05 AM »
Depending on day and time, from 10 to 130-140 at max. Right now, there are 31 pilots in the MA, of which about half are active
Steam: DrKalv
Elite:Dangerous: Snailman

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2023, 09:17:36 AM »
Welcome back, Prayer!   You are in for a real treat with that system!   

Numbers are comfortably 100+ prime time weeknights; Friday with FSO going on it's usually twice that.   We are seeing more and more posts like yours here - vets coming back after years away.   Last night I saw a bunch of new handles I didn't recognize.

:salute

Offline Prayer

• Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2023, 09:37:54 AM »
I recognize both your names. Thank you.  Is AH training area still a thing? Lol back in 03 I remember doing countless and probably pointless hammerhead loops through those hangers. Had a few good trainers as well that I ended up talking and flying with for years. Nostalgic memory’s, I guess that’s part of what brings you back.

Online Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2023, 10:14:19 AM »
Will be good to have you back, Prayer.

- oldman

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2023, 10:30:14 AM »
Old people are all over.... I are one....  :D
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2023, 11:13:05 AM »
Welcome back!

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Prayer

• Copper Member
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2023, 11:38:22 AM »
Thanks fellas, more familiar names :cheers:. I think you might of been in that training room all those years ago Shuffler.

Offline nopoop

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2023, 12:31:07 PM »
Love oldtimers coming back !!
nopoop

It's ALL about the fight..

Offline Dadtallica

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2023, 02:52:41 PM »
Love oldtimers coming back !!

Meaning what  :rofl:old:
Back in 2022 after a loooooong break from 2010. Old name Ratpack, same for the BBS.

Squad I did the most tours with were the Excaliburs then The 172nd Rabid Dogs. Still trying to talk Illigaf, Coola, Oldman22, and Joecrow into coming back instead of being boring old farts!

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2023, 03:51:00 PM »
Thinking of coming back.....again. The problem is I got old and cant play much at night so its pretty much CDT from 1300 to 1700 hrs American time. Last time there were such low numbers I just went <poof>.

Now I see the maps are smaller, which is smart. They should have gone further and made it two sides instead of three. I think making it such a GV game was a mistake but he just gave what the players wanted so fair enough. 100 on at one time = 33 each side, if balanced which it never is, and at least 1/2 on the ground in GV's or MIA somehow. So what were the odds of finding a good air fight? Pretty low last time I played.

WW2OL has really crashed too. Both in numbers and terrible side balancing. Most air fights during the time I have played usually have at least a 3 on 1 LW edge, and usually more, which tho has made me a pretty fair fighter pilot often leaves me nothing to show for it so Im back looking for a WW2 flight game again.

One question I have is that I bought a VKB Gladiator set up, which is terrific, and I cant remember if Aces High allows direct mapping of your controller buttons to the game or do you have to assign keys from your keyboard and then assign the keys to your stick software?

Thanks for any answers and i hope all are well. Boy the times we used to have were glorious.  :salute
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline Animl-AW

• Silver Member
      • Animl - YouTube
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2023, 08:34:43 PM »
Thinking of coming back.....again. The problem is I got old and cant play much at night so its pretty much CDT from 1300 to 1700 hrs American time. Last time there were such low numbers I just went <poof>.

Now I see the maps are smaller, which is smart. They should have gone further and made it two sides instead of three. I think making it such a GV game was a mistake but he just gave what the players wanted so fair enough. 100 on at one time = 33 each side, if balanced which it never is, and at least 1/2 on the ground in GV's or MIA somehow. So what were the odds of finding a good air fight? Pretty low last time I played.

WW2OL has really crashed too. Both in numbers and terrible side balancing. Most air fights during the time I have played usually have at least a 3 on 1 LW edge, and usually more, which tho has made me a pretty fair fighter pilot often leaves me nothing to show for it so Im back looking for a WW2 flight game again.

One question I have is that I bought a VKB Gladiator set up, which is terrific, and I cant remember if Aces High allows direct mapping of your controller buttons to the game or do you have to assign keys from your keyboard and then assign the keys to your stick software?

Thanks for any answers and i hope all are well. Boy the times we used to have were glorious.  :salute

I’m back after 14 yrs. Saddle up buddy, its still a blast. :)

Offline Dadtallica

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2023, 09:02:20 PM »
I’m back after 14 yrs. Saddle up buddy, its still a blast. :)

Same… 12 for me and it’s almost a new game. All the bases, towns and strats are all way different. BB’s were a pipe freak when I left the game first. It has its quirks but so does any old fart like myself!
Back in 2022 after a loooooong break from 2010. Old name Ratpack, same for the BBS.

Squad I did the most tours with were the Excaliburs then The 172nd Rabid Dogs. Still trying to talk Illigaf, Coola, Oldman22, and Joecrow into coming back instead of being boring old farts!

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2023, 07:25:12 AM »
And some/many of us have never left

Best $15 you can spend in a month for hours of entertainment imo

Still the best mmo ww2 a2a sim online today

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2023, 08:56:05 AM »
You can direct map your stick in AH. Go to clipboard/options/controllers/map controllers. Select the controller you want to map at the top. It'll have all the axii and buttons for it listed. As you press a button it'll turn green on the list. Double click on it. A dialog box will appear with all the commands. Select one. Click OK.

You can also map parts of the axis travel (low/mid/high) with a command. They're at the bottom of the list for your stick.

There are two sets of maps. One for monitor and another for VR. If you're using VR you have to map while you're in VR. You'll find those files in your settings folder. The VR ones have a vr_  prefix.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group