Author Topic: Memories sparked by an old AH II ad.  (Read 861 times)

Offline Animl-AW

• Silver Member
      • Animl - YouTube
Memories sparked by an old AH II ad.
« on: March 20, 2023, 10:11:25 AM »
Dadtallica posted this AHII ad, sparked some memories of the work I did after AW in AH.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4SVS3QOQzY

First thing that caught my eye was the logo I designed on a bored whim one night.

The first AH logo seemed a little dark, so playing around I decided to make something to turn the wing to gold, as a pin would be.

I ended up with this, but the detail was a bit too busy

So I came up with this, placing the version number over the spade.

I must have posted it on the forum or something. HT ended up liking it, and now I see graphics I did on a whim as a logo and in an ad.

Though it went through changes it seemed to have carried over to AHIII

« Last Edit: March 20, 2023, 10:16:47 AM by Animl-AW »

Offline Animl-AW

• Silver Member
      • Animl - YouTube
Re: Memories sparked by an old AH II ad.
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2023, 10:20:35 AM »
I wrote this software towards the end of AW. It did a lot of things. It could break down win98 and XP to bare bones resources, turn any PC into a gaming PC, and then reset everything on a reboot back to an office PC with all the settings in place. All customizable. It still works, but needs upgrades for Win11, which now has a game mode very similar to it, not as extensive. I don't think it's needed anymore the way PCs are fast now.This is a test shot using an anti-virus as the target to launch, which would otherwise be a game.

« Last Edit: March 20, 2023, 10:40:42 AM by Animl-AW »

Offline Animl-AW

• Silver Member
      • Animl - YouTube
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2023, 10:24:51 AM »
I had a AW Tech page in AW called, "Animal's Toolbox", that held a lot of tweaks and tech help, I was also AW Game Staff - Tech Support at the time so that helped. When AWIII died I migrated to AH and turned it into "AH Tech Hanger".
Logo

Page menu background

« Last Edit: March 20, 2023, 10:36:24 AM by Animl-AW »

Offline Dadtallica

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2023, 10:26:25 AM »
I think I remember the toolbox! Cool stuff!
Back in 2022 after a loooooong break from 2010. Old name Ratpack, same for the BBS.

Squad I did the most tours with were the Excaliburs then The 172nd Rabid Dogs. Still trying to talk Illigaf, Coola, Oldman22, and Joecrow into coming back instead of being boring old farts!

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2023, 11:23:19 AM »
He Animl do ya still have that software? I have a hoopty PC that's set up with 98se on one SSD and XP on another just so I can run stuff like AW.
"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline Animl-AW

• Silver Member
      • Animl - YouTube
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2023, 11:36:27 AM »
He Animl do ya still have that software? I have a hoopty PC that's set up with 98se on one SSD and XP on another just so I can run stuff like AW.

I do. But I don't have it uploaded anywhere anymore. It runs on Win10 and 11, but it won't kill processes and services because they use the registry a little different when reading them. A version was missing an info file you may get harmless errors from. I'd have to find the install version without that error. I don't have a new web space as of yet, if ever.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2023, 11:40:18 AM by Animl-AW »

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2023, 02:41:14 PM »
Thanks for your contributions all those years ago, Animal!   I remember that splash image and logo, seems just right to encapsulate the variety and range of action in the game.

Another early game image I remember is the cover to the CD box art, which as I understand was on sale in Europe and carried the logo you designed:

Always loved the look of that pair of heavily-armed Typhoons winging their way to a target.  I recall building a Revell or Monogram 1/48 scale model of the Typhoon as a kid.  Loved the look of those rockets slung under the wings.

Offline Animl-AW

• Silver Member
      • Animl - YouTube
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2023, 03:42:54 PM »
Thanks for your contributions all those years ago, Animal!   I remember that splash image and logo, seems just right to encapsulate the variety and range of action in the game.

Another early game image I remember is the cover to the CD box art, which as I understand was on sale in Europe and carried the logo you designed:
(Image removed from quote.)

Always loved the look of that pair of heavily-armed Typhoons winging their way to a target.  I recall building a Revell or Monogram 1/48 scale model of the Typhoon as a kid.  Loved the look of those rockets slung under the wings.

That's so crazy. That stuff may have come out after I left, never saw all the places it was. I think I was making it for my web page above the hanger doors. So long ago, I don't remember. I was just toying around. I still have the layered templet for the logo. Pretty sure HT got the layered version, which allowed to change the game version number, or remove it, which they did for the CD and stuff. LOL it was made with Paint Shop Pro 7.

« Last Edit: March 20, 2023, 03:51:10 PM by Animl-AW »

Offline Animl-AW

• Silver Member
      • Animl - YouTube
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2023, 04:29:23 PM »
BTW Oboe,
The work you people do on skins and maps are outstanding contributions and major features of the game.

I wouldn't mind getting into maps. But I'm not here to re-invent the wheel.

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2023, 06:07:26 PM »

I recently came across a 200 mhz pentium 1 desktop that I was going to use specifically for old games, but havent gotten around to getting a hard drive put in it. I have to find one small enough that the bios recognizes. I even came across some older intel 486 cpus also
See Rule 19- Do not place sausage on pizza.
I am No-Sausage-On-Pizza-Wad.
Das Funkillah - I kill hangers, therefore I am a funkiller. Coming to a vulchfest near you.
You cant tie a loop around 400000 lbs of locomotive using a 2 foot rope - Drediock on fat women

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2023, 06:39:03 PM »
BTW Oboe,
The work you people do on skins and maps are outstanding contributions and major features of the game.

I wouldn't mind getting into maps. But I'm not here to re-invent the wheel.

Thanks, we all appreciate the kind words.  It's a lot of fun to login and see someone buzzing around in a skin you've created.   Regarding maps - if you have an itch, scratch it.  You never know where it could lead! 

Offline Dadtallica

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2023, 06:50:01 PM »
Thanks, we all appreciate the kind words.  It's a lot of fun to login and see someone buzzing around in a skin you've created.   Regarding maps - if you have an itch, scratch it.  You never know where it could lead!

That’s what I’m afraid of. I always wanted to make them back in the day but never took the time. Putting it on my retirement bucket list!
Back in 2022 after a loooooong break from 2010. Old name Ratpack, same for the BBS.

Squad I did the most tours with were the Excaliburs then The 172nd Rabid Dogs. Still trying to talk Illigaf, Coola, Oldman22, and Joecrow into coming back instead of being boring old farts!

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2023, 08:38:38 PM »
The PC is literally the one I used to play AW on! During the pandemic I found it in a box and wondered if it still ran. It did so I got a cheap case with a side window and LED fans! The mobo was an Asus gaming board, think it's a P4C800E deluxe, that had sata ports so I used SSDs and probably one of the last with AGP. Video card on it ran great on XP but no drivers for it in 98 so had to dig up another one off ebay. There's a hack to get my 4 sticks of red line ram to run on 98 but I never got it to work so running with 2. 3.4ghz P4 runs everything great. Was a nice time killer project when I retired the first time and everything was closed anyway!

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline Animl-AW

• Silver Member
      • Animl - YouTube
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2023, 10:00:03 PM »
The PC is literally the one I used to play AW on! During the pandemic I found it in a box and wondered if it still ran. It did so I got a cheap case with a side window and LED fans! The mobo was an Asus gaming board, think it's a P4C800E deluxe, that had sata ports so I used SSDs and probably one of the last with AGP. Video card on it ran great on XP but no drivers for it in 98 so had to dig up another one off ebay. There's a hack to get my 4 sticks of red line ram to run on 98 but I never got it to work so running with 2. 3.4ghz P4 runs everything great. Was a nice time killer project when I retired the first time and everything was closed anyway!

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Hmmm, if I remember, there was an update file of types because the poorly designed memory usage in 98, it would not see anything over a certain amount. I had used it with good results. I just don't know where to find it anymore. I might have it on an old CD with some nvidia drivers for 98. I'd be surprised if AW didn't run on XP,...almost anything for 98 did. I'm still using some software for 98 on Win11. SSD was probably a big boost.

Offline Shamus

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2023, 02:11:37 AM »
I rememer those old adds, voice was Coach, was a squadie, cool guy.
one of the cats

FSO Jagdgeschwader 11