Author Topic: German helmet collecting  (Read 1434 times)

Offline nopoop

• Gold Member
German helmet collecting
« on: April 19, 2023, 02:42:43 PM »
My favorite TV show when I was a kid was COMBAT !! with Vic Morrow. Played army every day.  LOVED that show. From that I had a love of the German helmet and purchased my first helmet. A M40 single decal repainted with a brush. Rode hard in the war and it shows it. I still have it.

As time went on including my pay check I started collecting in earnest. Helmet collecting is a mine field. With the amount of fakes on the market, if you don't know what you are looking at you WILL get screwed. Ended up a moderator on a collecting board. Learned tons. So much to know, decals, paint etc. Top shelf helmets aren't owned. They are on loan. They move on to another collector.

I was fortunate enough to have these two helmets for a time. M40 SS and a M42 SS. One went to Europe and the other to the east coast.

So, my first helmet cost me $400. To understand the mine field out there, I sold the two SS helmets for $15,000.

So how much is this one worth? Found in a barn in Germany. M42 SS snow camo. Liner was gone but no shell damage. I still have it.

It's a fake.
nopoop

It's ALL about the fight..

Offline nopoop

• Gold Member
Re: German helmet collecting
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2023, 03:08:11 PM »
Sorry,my wife is out of town. You're stuck with me  :huh

Still have the double decal Herr but the Normandy Camo has moved on...

nopoop

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2023, 03:16:38 PM »
Nice!

No army helmets here but have a couple of german pilot LKpW101 helmets one loaded like this one and one missing the mic hardware
https://airandspace.si.edu/collection-objects/helmet-flying-type-lkpw101-luftwaffe/nasm_A19760918000

I have an allied flying helmet too

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline nopoop

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2023, 03:33:55 PM »
NICE Eagler !! I have a US pilot rig. Have a friend that gave it to me
nopoop

Offline nopoop

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2023, 03:42:48 PM »
Last one I promise. M35 Police that has also moved on.

nopoop

Offline Busher

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2023, 05:45:53 PM »
Wow, you and Harlan Crow got the collection locked up :rolleyes:
Being male, an accident of birth. Being a man, a matter of age. Being a gentleman, a matter of choice.

Offline turt21

• Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2023, 05:54:12 PM »
Last one I promise. M35 Police that has also moved on.

(Image removed from quote.)

Keep posting these are fascinating. I understood the manufacturing process was quite involved

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2023, 06:40:13 PM »
Awesome stuff.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline nopoop

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2023, 07:34:41 PM »
Where it is facinating is there was four companies that manufactured helmets. Quist, NS, ET and SE which changed to HKP in 1943. The maker and size is stamped inside the rear edge. Decals were company specific except Poacher. So take another look at the two SS decals.

They are different. If I remember correctly the M40 is an ET, the M42 is a NS. Really have to study them to see the differences. And there is quite a few differences.

It's the same with all decaled helmets. With Heer helmets the is even more decal makers. So in any helmet evaluation it starts with the decal. You compile photos of known authentic decals on anything you collect and look for differences. Some fakes are real good. Most are no brainers.
nopoop

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2023, 07:26:53 AM »
So you are saying the ones I am making with the SS emblem off a 1969 Chevelle are not going to pass muster?  :confused:
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2023, 07:50:08 AM »
How do you post a picture again using the link to an uploaded image in the films and screenshot forum?

What is the attach= value supposed to be?
Eagler
« Last Edit: April 20, 2023, 09:15:48 AM by Eagler »
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline nopoop

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2023, 10:06:08 AM »
nopoop

Offline nopoop

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2023, 10:47:46 AM »
https://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/forums

Largest forum on the net. They have forums for ANYTHING collectable WWII German. It's huge. Requires user name and password only.
Lol, do a search for nopoop. The majority of my posts from 15 years ago are still there  :x
« Last Edit: April 20, 2023, 10:54:27 AM by nopoop »
nopoop

Offline nopoop

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2023, 11:13:06 AM »
This collection was built in the 60's. When you could buy a hemet for 25 or 30 dollars. The helmets in this collection are ALL top shelf. Amazing collection that couldn't be built today.

nopoop

Offline nopoop

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2023, 11:52:36 AM »
Last one. I know longer have a grey art board nor the fog in the backyard. Its sunny every day here  :aok

A Heer Officer hat. A pith helmet with goggles from the Afrika Corp. A single decal M16 transitional helmet. And a mint single decal M40 that was never worn. A shelf sitter.

nopoop