Author Topic: Network 4/5G wireless routers random reboots  (Read 478 times)

Offline Worid

• Zinc Member
Network 4/5G wireless routers random reboots
« on: May 31, 2023, 09:08:21 PM »
Anyone else experiencing random Wireless 4/5 G home internet routers from Verizon / T-Mobile / Etc. Also been noted on Fiber and hardwired connections from posts on line. It's not associated with the game per say, but multiple OS platforms, web browsers and sites. Not mention hardware configuratios.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
Re: Network 4/5G wireless routers random reboots
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2023, 01:25:40 AM »
As you can see I'm not living within the range of the Internet services of said companies. There's some rules, though, that apply worldwide.

• The routers provided by network companies are cheap - at least by build quality. Failing units are common.
  • The software in the routers is tailored by the network company, at least by having their logo, but they may not update too often.
  • Most internet connections are dynamic which means you get a "lease time" for an IP address. Sometimes you may use the same IP for weeks, sometimes it may expire in a day. The router should automatically notice the expiration but sometimes your expired IP address stays stuck. Rebooting your router helps - actually it's the primary fix for a lost connection as there's usually no hardware failure involved, just a glitch.
  • Mobile routers are more prone to dropping the connection because they share the same bandwidth with mobile phone calls. Obviously a call to 911 is more important than updating your social media!
  • If you have a mobile router, the signal strength matters. Find a location where you get the best signal. Also remember that radio waves don't move through water - a foggy day or fresh leaves on trees effectively cut the signal.
  • If you use WiFi to expand the Internet from the router to your computer, the amount of your neighbouring WiFi connection matters. There's a very limited number of WiFi channels that don't overlap especially if you're using older hardware. New protocols with more available channels already exist but for them to work both your computer and the WiFi router have to be supported. The cheap routers and computers may support the old protocols only.
Conclusion: Choose the location of the router optimally both for mobile and WiFi, reboot (or even reset) the router frequently, check for updates for your router.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Worid

• Zinc Member
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2023, 10:23:26 AM »
Thanks for the reply Biz; But this issue seems to have been tied to the bloody thing semi-overheating.  Moved it on top of an air purifier I run, lowered the transmission power on all channels and bands and set bandwidths selects to auto. It's stop happening.
I'm an old schools Navy Radar / Comm tech so I get everything you said. I appreciate your thoughts.

Worid

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2023, 10:35:24 AM »
Overheating? Didn't remember that option! I used to have an ADSL modem with that issue back in the late 90's. The modem had a steel housing, flat and closed. The revamped version had a plastic cover with a perforated bulge on top. Even that didn't help much.
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2023, 10:58:18 AM »
Sounds defective to me

Can you get your internet provider to swap it out?

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Worid

• Zinc Member
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2023, 05:01:45 PM »
Bizman,
This router is a cellular network router. I have a few internet connections (hardwired DSL, cellular, Etc..), but this one started having issues and doesn't have a built-in log feature. So I had to trouble shoot the hard way. Ergo why the post for assistance; I was looking for any cellular network anomalies you guys may have noted.
The locale tower is only 10 min drive and 45 min walk thru the woods (Family land for about 1000 acres - space it out over 85 grand and great grand kids). If the trees weren't so tall I could see it. Boondocks.
Reducing the transmission power on the router reduces generated heat and adding the forced airflow reduces heat buildup by 25-30 %. The only other issue with the cellular network is we are right under Ft. Bragg flight path and some of those EWs don't dial down their jamming.

Eagler,
I will be contacting them on replacement, but I really don't want to pay for replacement.
(Out of warranty-had for almost 2 yrs).
And want to review and VET any hardware they send.

Once again guys thanks.

Worid

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2023, 02:44:43 AM »
Thanks for a thorough explanation of your cellular network surroundings, such things really can help understanding why a device doesn't work as expected.

I don't know enough of the innards of a modem, cellular or wired, to be able to tell exactly what's going on. However, they're small computers running most often a version of Linux so the common issues known from computers and phones should apply. One such "law" is that if the processor has to work harder to produce a certain performance level it also produces more heat. In this case the hard work is communicating with the tower. As you said, you would be able to see the tower if the trees weren't so tall and as I said in my first post trees have quite a lot of water in their leaves which can have a negative effect. But that's not the only explanation. Accepting a slightly weaker signal through reducing the transmission power as you did might well be the optimal solution - although modems are computers they aren't as sophisticated as "real" ones, meaning they don't have adaptive power handling and such. Most likely the default setting is "full power" be it needed or not. The law of conservation of energy applies here as well.

A leading Finnish PC magazine had a couple of articles about underclocking last year, comparing performance loss to energy consumption. The most dramatic finding in their studies was that when the CPU max power was reduced by 25% the energy consumption was halved! Going down to 50% lowered the used wattage only about 10% more so exaggerating the underclocking level will only hinder performance. The conclusion was that if the ultimate max power isn't needed, a slight underclocking won't affect everyday use but the heat level will be dramatically reduced and the energy bill will be lower.

Kotisivuni

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2023, 06:32:20 PM »
Dealing with modems and routers for years, I have found this

If it randomly reboots for no reason, replace it
See Rule 19- Do not place sausage on pizza.
I am No-Sausage-On-Pizza-Wad.
Das Funkillah - I kill hangers, therefore I am a funkiller. Coming to a vulchfest near you.
You cant tie a loop around 400000 lbs of locomotive using a 2 foot rope - Drediock on fat women

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2023, 06:49:13 PM »
Bizman,
This router is a cellular network router. I have a few internet connections (hardwired DSL, cellular, Etc..), but this one started having issues and doesn't have a built-in log feature. So I had to trouble shoot the hard way. Ergo why the post for assistance; I was looking for any cellular network anomalies you guys may have noted.
The locale tower is only 10 min drive and 45 min walk thru the woods (Family land for about 1000 acres - space it out over 85 grand and great grand kids). If the trees weren't so tall I could see it. Boondocks.
Reducing the transmission power on the router reduces generated heat and adding the forced airflow reduces heat buildup by 25-30 %. The only other issue with the cellular network is we are right under Ft. Bragg flight path and some of those EWs don't dial down their jamming.

Eagler,
I will be contacting them on replacement, but I really don't want to pay for replacement.
(Out of warranty-had for almost 2 yrs).
And want to review and VET any hardware they send.

Once again guys thanks.

Worid

When Ive had one going I always did my research and bought the modem "I" wanted and then got tech on the line to get it setup.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2023, 08:28:47 AM »
Another important thing I was reminded today is to unplug from mains every once in a while. I did a Speedtest with a cellular network router and got 3.7 Mbps for result. After unplugging and waiting for the connection to re-establish it read 44. No wonder they had had issues with watching streamed video content.

Kotisivuni