Author Topic: The Ki-84Ia Should Be Faster  (Read 484 times)

Offline Propilot

• Zinc Member
The Ki-84Ia Should Be Faster
« on: July 08, 2023, 10:42:46 AM »
Hey guys!

Unrelated to the subject, but I’ve had so much fun being back on the game. It was totally worth coming back. My new username is AeroAce7, just so you all know.

Anyways, I’ve come across some incredibly detailed videos about the Ki-84. It utilizes peer reviewed primary and secondary sources, ensuring its legitimacy. After watching these, it’s clear to me that the Ki-84 in game is not the best version that flew in the war. There’s too much to summarize, so I will post the links to the four part series here:

https://youtu.be/gRQvnCfEbNA, https://youtu.be/nR__0zewk2o, https://youtu.be/wiDthd376wk, https://youtu.be/PUwcAbuvLOU

The most important videos regarding this topic are the second and especially the third in the series.

I think adjustments should be made so that the Ki-84Ia uses the high compression Hamare-21 engine instead of being modeled like it has the Hamare-11.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2023, 11:24:09 AM by Propilot »

Offline nopoop

• Gold Member
Re: The Ki-84Ia Should Be Faster
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2023, 02:28:23 PM »
It is what it is. Flight models wont be changed. Now maps ??? Maybe.
nopoop

It's ALL about the fight..

Offline Propilot

• Zinc Member
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2023, 02:59:03 PM »
New maps would definitely be nice too. We’ll have to see if any more are made.

Still, I don’t think it would be too difficult to change the flight model of the Ki-84. The worse engine is the same as the better one, except it’s detuned. It’d be a matter of changing a few things, mainly just the horsepower, torque, and maybe climb rate. Everything else is the same.

Offline nopoop

• Gold Member
nopoop

It's ALL about the fight..

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2023, 03:45:19 PM »
New maps would definitely be nice too. We’ll have to see if any more are made.

Still, I don’t think it would be too difficult to change the flight model of the Ki-84. The worse engine is the same as the better one, except it’s detuned. It’d be a matter of changing a few things, mainly just the horsepower, torque, and maybe climb rate. Everything else is the same.

Fun fights last night Aero! Glad to see you back.

The Ki84 is already quite fast. It has one of the faster excellerations in the game, which is a huge strength in AH. Even if the top speed was increased, I doubt you'd still be able to dive past 500 anyway before compressing. Also the plane is very good in AH already. If it were faster it would be super deadly even more than it already is. It has one of the best roll rates and 300 decent cannons. Its a great turner and holds E well. One of my favorite planes in the game. In any case, a higher top speed wouldn't really matter so much due to compression in the dive anyway, IMO.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline Propilot

• Zinc Member
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2023, 04:00:04 PM »
For sure! That was a fun night—very good flying from you. While you’re probably right, I guess I just feel this way since it seems like it’d be more historically accurate if it was a bit faster is all. It is already a very strong aircraft in AH

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2023, 12:28:50 AM »
It would have been nice though to have a model representative of the 'best' version. After all the K4 isn't hobbled by pseudo production difficulties of materials and processes. For instance the shredding of surfaces is totally random and unfounded. The original test report of the preproduction prototype shows a VnE well in excess of where the AH random parts selector starts popping parts of simply because you chose Subaru.
Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Get stuffed Skyyr, you freak" - Zack1234

Offline Mongoose

• Silver Member
      • Kentwood Station
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2023, 09:48:57 AM »
I watched the third video you posted, which deals with the speed.  Very informative and thorough.  Comparing his numbers with our plane in AH, it is clear that we have the Ki-84 with the -11 engine, not the faster -21.  It also shows the AH version is historically accurate for the -11 engine.  So we do, in fact, have a pretty accurate representation of the plane.

Now the question is, which version was produced more and/or which version saw more combat?  That might make the case for keeping the -11 engine or changing it to the -21.
My Aces High fan site:
www.kentwoodstation.com

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2023, 10:51:19 AM »
I watched the third video you posted, which deals with the speed.  Very informative and thorough.  Comparing his numbers with our plane in AH, it is clear that we have the Ki-84 with the -11 engine, not the faster -21.  It also shows the AH version is historically accurate for the -11 engine.  So we do, in fact, have a pretty accurate representation of the plane.

Now the question is, which version was produced more and/or which version saw more combat?  That might make the case for keeping the -11 engine or changing it to the -21.

I believe I shared the official manual and all of the specs of the various engines over ten years ago on the forum and there wasn't even any acknowledgement of the research. I think there is less chance now than then  :old:
Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Get stuffed Skyyr, you freak" - Zack1234