Author Topic: Why only flying one plane is not the answer  (Read 3682 times)

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
Why only flying one plane is not the answer
« on: August 08, 2023, 12:24:59 PM »
In an effort to maybe talk about planes and add something positive to the discussion board about the game. I thought I'd discuss why only flying 1 plane in AH is not a good strategy for being successful for novice pilots, and can lead you into boredom or frustration.

All planes in AH have a strength and weakness, some more than others. Some planes are designed better for long high alt attack flights and some are designed better for low defensive type flights. There are but a few that are good at both though player skill greatly comes into factor. Only learning one plane can greatly start you out at a disadvantage early on if you don't fly them in the correct situation. 

Situation 1
Let's say you want to start with the P51D. Everyone's favorite. Yes, it's a wonderful plane. It's well balanced and dives very well while also turning pretty decently and great at maintaining E. Here's the situation though, if you roll this plane at a field that is under attack, you are going to be already starting off at a disadvantage. Why? One of the greatest weaknesses for the P51 and many American planes is acceleration and climb speed. You do not want to be stuck on the deck having to use defensive maneuvers trying to get attacking planes to overshoot you. It's a very poor start for the p51 and you will have a lot of trouble getting the alt and E you need to be successful. This plane should really only be flown in attacking situations, where you are either A. Flying to a field your team is on the offensive, or B. Rolling from a back field to defend your base from high bombers and attack planes. You want to be able to get 17-20k and use your diving speed to your advantage. Same goes for most other American planes, 190s, Tiffies, Temps, C205, ect .If you want to defend a field, there are other planes that are great for it. The Spitfires, La7s, Ki84s, N1Ks, hurricane 2c, Brewster, A6ms, are great planes for defense rather than a P51. They accelerate fast, turn on a dime, have great cannons for quick snap shots on a overshoot. Can dive well in low alts and can gain alt rather quickly off the field. Instead of tugging that P51 off the field to defend, grab one of these other planes and learn that for defense. It will greatly improve your capabilities and will help you stay alive longer. Once you get an attack plane to turn, you will be able to out maneuver them and win the fight, or be able to dodge them diving on your easier. Normally in defense at your field, you will have more friendlies to help you, therfore being able to dodge planes easier for longer so your friends can help is very beneficial.

Situation 2:
Let's say you want to start off with the Spitfires, another plane everyone loves. Unfortunately, you will not want to use this plane for attack missions as a novice. Why? You will get caught up low and slow in a turn fight with less friendlies and more enemies to gang you. You won't be able to escape the fight once this happens. The thing with great turning planes is, you want to turn them... this is a disadvantage when attacking a field. Hey we all love to do it. But as a novice you will just get ganged more times than anything and get frustrated. This is the time you want to grab a P51, P47, P38, 190, Tiffin, temp, C205, F4u ect. Don't focus so much on out turning people. Focus on keeping your speed and alt, focus on maintaining E and staying fast. Practice roping planes if you are clear from higher cons.You want to be able to dive on planes and pull out to regain your alt and be able to extend from defensive planes diving on you. These planes generally have a lot of gas so you can be more patient regaining your alt and E to come back into the fight. This will keep you alive. Your spitfire will not. It cannot dive fast enough to get away from the hoard coming after to you. I never like to encourage running, but for a novice this is your tactic until you learn ACM, flaps and throttle usage. Be aggressive but not so aggressive that you end up chasing a plane to the deck in a turn fight and getting picked. Low and slow is the last place you want to be when attacking a field.

Situation #3.
You are a lover of the furball and see that both teams are fighting in the middle of the bases with co alt E. What do you do? You really don't want an attack plane, and you really don't want a slow defensive plane. Why? An attack plane is going to be too heavy vs other fighters. You aren't going to maneuverable enough to get into snapshot positions or defend from them, and if you get slow on the deck you will get ganged. A slow defense plane like Brewsters, A6ms, hurricane, older spits, ect aren't going to be fast enough to catch most planes, you will be stuck on the deck turn fighting until someone comes to pick to you, or spending most of your time dodging planes diving on you. So what plane do you choose? There are a few planes that fit well nicely in this category, and furball type scenarios are also a learned situation regarding SA and what you can and cannot get away with. Planes that I really like to use are. The 109s, they don't dive well, but have great acceleration, great climb, lots of wep, and can outrun most planes once you understand the flight models and ACM. The La7 and Yaks is very similar and great for furballing. The spit16 and spit8 or even the ki61 which is very similar but more advanced. The P38 for more advanced sticks, the Ki84, great furball plane. You want planes that can turn generally well and climb well, but not too much of a turner because you'll want to be able to escape the furball when the time comes and need quick acceleration speed, not be stuck on the deck turning and getting ganged by higher planes coming in. The F4us and 190A5 are okay for more advanced sticks but should really be flown in situation 2 to be mostly successful. These are planes than can be flown in both attack and defensive situations but are generally not the best for either because of dive speed in situation 2 and lack of turning ability on the deck for novice players in situation  1. Some generally don't have enough gas for situation 2 either like the La7 or Yak. Situation 3 planes are great for mid alt, and that's where you want to fight most of the time. I always like say in a furball, enter and strike your targets like a shark enters a school of fish. Quick stakes on planes in and out. Never follow an enemy too long. If one jumps your 6, do your best to drag then out away from the larger fight to make it a 1v1 or towards friendlies. This is where quick excelleration and decent turning comes into play when shaking an enemy.

By understanding each situation and which plane is more suitable for these situations, you will have a much better time in AH getting kills and staying alive. This is how I play the game. This is why only flying one plane can be frustrating and not helping you to be more successful in the MA. I hope this helps and that you will consider flying different planes for each situation rather than your 1 plane that may be hindering you in certain situations.  :salute
« Last Edit: August 08, 2023, 02:17:52 PM by DmonSlyr »
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
Re: Why only flying one plane is not the answer
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2023, 01:19:24 PM »
All very good advice.

One more thought:  Learning new planes is fun.  AH has a lot of planes to learn.

- oldman

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2023, 02:04:54 PM »
Great write up and solid rational.  Since written for the “newb”,  suggest defining the term “E” for what it is, “energy”.   Energy management is the all important factor in dogfighting, BFM, ACM, and mutual support.  Lose or run low on energy (E) and the transition from fighter to hot air balloon begins.  A “newb” reading an otherwise informative “how to” write up is for sure going to ask, what’s “E”?   :salute :aok

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2023, 02:25:05 PM »
Great write up and solid rational.  Since written for the “newb”,  suggest defining the term “E” for what it is, “energy”.   Energy management is the all important factor in dogfighting, BFM, ACM, and mutual support.  Lose or run low on energy (E) and the transition from fighter to hot air balloon begins.  A “newb” reading an otherwise informative “how to” write up is for sure going to ask, what’s “E”?   :salute :aok

Good point! Definitely appreciate you mentioning that. While I do intend this to be for new guys mostly. It might also be good for some players who have been frustrated or haven't thought of trying different planes for the situation before. That is mostly what I wanted to shed some experience on. Hopefully they give it another try and will have better sucess and more fun.  :aok
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2023, 04:00:35 PM »
Great contribution Violator.

I'd build on that by describing three 'categories' of ACM-predispositions in planes. In other words a combination of design attributes makes nearly everything fall into some position on this spectrum.

• First there are good-turning planes - Usually with a low wing-loading, either light like a Zero, Ki-43 or Brewster or having a relatively large wing area, like a Spitfire. Their drawback is those attributes usually limit top speed and as the war progressed design moved away from this for obvious reasons.
  • Next the energy-retainers - In general the energy they bring to the fight is the maximum energy they are going to have but slippery shapes and high mass means that if used wisely they can recycle that energy between angles and altitude. Most blue planes fall in here. The logical tactic is BnZ which is not the same as hitting and running as you often see in AH. Working in the vertical they can degrade an opponent's energy state to win a shot or escape at will. Typically have a higher top speed because of more powerful engines (hence the mass) and not necessarily much in the wing-loading department. They can usually choose the fight and press the fight if they want to.
  • Energy-builders - The most esoteric of the bunch, also a form of energy-fighting these aircraft have an emphasis on power-loading or power-to-weight ration in car terms. This is arguably the hardest category because their strengths are to build an energy advantage during a fight through sustained climbing and or accelerating - usually in short bursts or through careful BFM. This category makes for great reversals-of-fortune as you can afford to be wasteful of energy knowing you can build it back.
  • The freak combinators - The above is painting with a broad brush. There are obviously freaks. I'd describe the Corsair as an obvious energy-retainer, well-disposed to BnZ. Conversely deck operations made for big wings and hover flaps so they can essentially turn like a Hurricane when pressed. Certainly can't build well. The 190D-9 really should be BnZing because of it's stumpy wings but conversely has a pretty descent sustained climb-rate. A Bf109K-4 is clearly an energy-builder but in the vert is outstanding with excellent controllability very nose-high, which equates it to a retainer and you can easily BnZ in it up to a certain air speed.

Final note - as with most things in air combat, position, energy-state, number of cup-holders everything is relative. Different airframes and starting positions might make BnZ a momentarily preferable strategy for a Brewster. This holds less well for a Ki-43 who has the energy retention of a box-kite and the high speed control of Richard Hammond. A Mosquito makes a decent turn-fighter against a +e 190D-9. The D9 should be building in this fight if he can escape those guns. Nothing is absolute.

As Violator says the trouble starts when you stick with one plane or tactic you miss out.
Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Get stuffed Skyyr, you freak" - Zack1234

Offline RELIC

• Nickel Member
      • http://DFA-Squad.org/
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2023, 04:51:47 PM »
Agree 100%.  DFA used to have a "Plane Of The Month - POM" (back when I was more motivated) where I did a write-up on the fighter/POM picked for that camp and members were encouraged to fly it.  Those squaddies who participated definitely benefited - and there was a swell ribbon/medal if you got enough kills or high enough K/D in it  :D
DGSII Scenario-2012  352nd FG/487th FS
P-51D "Cold Gin"
Noseart

Offline scott66

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2023, 04:58:56 PM »
I would never cheat on my Brewster lol good advise violator
"scott66"        
 XO ThunderHorse Squadron.    

"This place is a psychologist's wet dream".... FishBait

Offline TryHard

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2023, 05:51:56 PM »
I would never cheat on my Brewster lol good advise violator
I have similar feelings towards the FM2 I'd argue its one of the best freak combinations in the game as it could sorta do all 3 situations. Its biggest limitations are relatively slow top speed and only 4 M2s. But it has no Vne speed like Brewster it will do 500mph in a dive with good control aswell which makes it a great Boom and Zoomer. Also can turn with the Brew and has very good acceleration and climb rate for what it is. Not 109K4 or Yak3 levels but the Power to Weight compared to the F4F will surprise a lot of players expecting an easy kill, which the F4F icon people will see and flock to club you like a baby seal, not knowing until its too late and they lost all their E :D

Like statistically the best plane for a Furball would be a 262, but that doesn't make it any fun.

If I "had" to choose one airplane to fly in the main arena it would be an FM2  :salute

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2023, 06:35:17 PM »
I have similar feelings towards the FM2 I'd argue its one of the best freak combinations in the game as it could sorta do all 3 situations. Its biggest limitations are relatively slow top speed and only 4 M2s. But it has no Vne speed like Brewster it will do 500mph in a dive with good control aswell which makes it a great Boom and Zoomer. Also can turn with the Brew and has very good acceleration and climb rate for what it is. Not 109K4 or Yak3 levels but the Power to Weight compared to the F4F will surprise a lot of players expecting an easy kill, which the F4F icon people will see and flock to club you like a baby seal, not knowing until its too late and they lost all their E :D

Like statistically the best plane for a Furball would be a 262, but that doesn't make it any fun.

If I "had" to choose one airplane to fly in the main arena it would be an FM2  :salute

Extremely fun plane to roll off the CV. Very versatile and maneuverable. I'd recon you may want to have the friendly advantage as you will end up getting ganged if not. Generally good to start with some alt before entering the fight. I wouldnt consider it a novice plane due to the 4 50s and slow speed, but its definitely a lot of fun to roll in a big CV fight.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline Simon

• Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2023, 06:44:23 PM »
Good post Vio.

An argument could be made that flying one type of plane can accelerate your learning curve by honing your aim and earning an intimate understanding of that plane's advantages and limitations.

If your goal is to achieve a high score, then yes, choosing the right tool at the right time is certainly necessary.

If your goal is to survive, learn the 190D, P51 or Yak3. Especially if you side-swap, the perks will come flooding in so you can fly Tempests and Deuces to avoid getting shot down even more easily.

If your goal if to win dogfights, mastering something versatile (F4U, 109, Spit, Ki84) is the way to go about it.

I wear my Corsairs-only badge with pride. I think I could do just fine in a Dora/Temp/Yak/Spit/LA, but that would be like admitting defeat.  :bolt:

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2023, 06:59:40 PM »
Another reason to fly different aircraft is just to enjoy the different flight models.  :aok

Offline Mongoose

• Silver Member
      • Kentwood Station
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2023, 10:55:41 PM »
An argument could be made that flying one type of plane can accelerate your learning curve by honing your aim and earning an intimate understanding of that plane's advantages and limitations.

This right here would be my argument.  A new pilot should stick with one plane until he has actually learned how to fly.  By switching planes you make the learning curve steeper.  Let a new pilot take one plane and learn the basics of flying in that plane.  Once he has learned the basics of flying, then the pilot can appreciate the advantages of the different airplanes.  Until then, he is just fighting the learning curve.

Many of us have been around so long we forget how daunting it can be for a rookie.  I fondly remember my early days when I was doing my very best to not hit the ground. 
 :airplane:

My Aces High fan site:
www.kentwoodstation.com

Offline save

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2023, 04:07:54 AM »
Looking at statistics over time, I can see the mid-tier planes have suffered heavily from the satellite real-time radar, if you look at k/D.

Planes that cannot compete using the RL tactics of shooting someone they don't see until its too late.
Even hiding behind a mountain etc don't exist anymore.

Think about it, it's doesn't even work in modern combat.

Only small maps and old radar would probably bring back the diversity of plane flying in Melee arena.
My ammo last for 6 Lancasters, or one Yak3.
"And the Yak 3 ,aka the "flying Yamato"..."
-Caldera

Offline Bopgun

• Nickel Member
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2023, 04:17:33 AM »
I always liked having a rwepitware/ stable  of fighters I’m competent in that I can use. Especially weird ones! Spit 1, P40C, ME410, the real unicorns.
Ingame: StepSis

Stuck in the Washing Machine!

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2023, 06:26:48 AM »
There is a 109 for every occasion

I don't need anything else

It's more the weapons than the plane...takes a glancing shot to take your wing from some planes while others have to chew on you a bit

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals