Author Topic: Windows 11 turning off my sounds?  (Read 229 times)

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
Windows 11 turning off my sounds?
« on: August 17, 2023, 08:12:43 AM »
Recently, for no particular reason, my sounds are turned off on an intermittent schedule. If I open sounds on the task bar and slide the volume back to full, it will slide back to off. Crazy, no?

I've checked drivers and a few other suggestions via the web. Running sounds troubleshooter help for awhile but then it's back to rinse & repeat.

Anyone else come across this? I've been using Win11 for almost a year and this only started a few weeks ago.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
Re: Windows 11 turning off my sounds?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2023, 08:36:50 AM »
Check windows sound settings for devices you aren't using. Maybe an update added some conflicts.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2023, 04:01:58 PM »
...or sticking keys. Check any shortcut keys that may control volume.

Another possibility....
Windows 10 Disable the Automatic Volume Adjustment Feature

Step 1. Press Win + R keys to open the Run dialog box, and then type mmsys.cpl and hit Enter.

Step 2. Navigate to the Communications tab inside the Sound control panel window. Then select the Do nothing option under When Windows detects communication activity.

Step 3. Click on Apply to execute this change. After that, restart your computer and see if Windows 10 automatically lowers volume.

or....

Uninstall the Realtek Audio Driver
Many users reported that the Realtek drivers are responsible for Windows 10 volume slider keeps going down. To fix it, you can try uninstalling the Realtek driver.

Step 1. Press Win + R keys to open the Run dialog box, and then type devmgmt.msc in the box and hit Enter to open this program.

Step 2. In the Device Manager window, expand the Sound, video and game controllers category, and then right-click on Realtek audio driver and select Uninstall device.

uninstall Realtek audio device driver
Step 3. Click on OK to confirm this operation and wait for the uninstallation to complete.

Once uninstalled, restart your computer and check if Windows 10 lowers volume automatically.

Good Luck!!
« Last Edit: August 17, 2023, 04:06:56 PM by Shuffler »
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2023, 04:50:52 PM »
Very cool Shuf!!! I'll give those whirl, sir!  :cheers: :salute

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2023, 11:22:41 AM »
 :aok
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)