Author Topic: TM F-16 with TM base  (Read 405 times)

Offline HL117

• Nickel Member
      • Aircams
TM F-16 with TM base
« on: August 19, 2023, 02:01:01 PM »
Got a new stick, T.M. F-16 with the T.M. base, very heavy, feels very stiff like I have to wrestle with it, coming from a 20 year CH stick it seems very different, stability is better for shooting but wears me out a lot faster, any thoughts, would a virpil base be much better.

Thanks in advance

:joystick:
Whether you think you can or cannot, you are right!

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
Re: TM F-16 with TM base
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2023, 09:44:53 AM »
If the T.M. base is the same as a Warthog then yes it is very stiff. The Virpil bases are tunable. You can change springs, cams, and I believe the latest versions of both the Mongoos, and Wrbrd have dry clutches. The Mongoos has more adjustability than the Warbrd. You can use your T.M. grip ( as long as it's the same as the Warthog) on the Virpil without buying an adapter.
Virpil has a sale going on right now until the end of the month in the U.S.

Fugi posted a site (in this thread https://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,407253.0.html) that has a replacement spring for the T.M. base if you want to try that.

:salute
Sik
444th Air Mafia since Air Warrior
Proudly flying with VF-17

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline HL117

• Nickel Member
      • Aircams
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2023, 07:04:35 AM »
Thanks for the reply SIK1,

I ended up swapping the stick back to the CH, the Warthog base and stick combo was just too stiff, I gave a it a month and half and it just wasn't working for me.

It is hard to explain but with the TM it is as if the aircraft is waiting on me to move the stick though the motions, with the CH light plastic stick I am waiting on the aircraft to move, so much that I have to temper that movement so it doesn't get wild. I think something in between those two feels would be awesome, may try out the Virple, tunable sounds good.

« Last Edit: August 27, 2023, 07:06:34 AM by HL117 »

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2023, 08:49:57 AM »
Thanks for the reply SIK1,

I ended up swapping the stick back to the CH, the Warthog base and stick combo was just too stiff, I gave a it a month and half and it just wasn't working for me.

It is hard to explain but with the TM it is as if the aircraft is waiting on me to move the stick though the motions, with the CH light plastic stick I am waiting on the aircraft to move, so much that I have to temper that movement so it doesn't get wild. I think something in between those two feels would be awesome, may try out the Virple, tunable sounds good.

As SIK1 said above I found a guy who sells a replacement spring for the Warthog.

https://warthog-extensions-by-sahaj.com/shop/warthog-green-springs/

I went from a CH stick to the warthog and found the stick to be very stiff as well. I had hoped that the heavy spring would counter my heavy fist. It did some what but I learned to go easier on the stick as was looking to soften the spring (im a "fix it" guy so love to take stuff apart and fix it the way it should be). I took a bit of the spring out. While it did soften it up it also made it not "return to center" positively and would had a a floppy look to it (Get your minds out of the gutter!)

Buying this replacement spring was perfect. It made the stick feel more like my old CH stick but was far more accurate. Its a cheap fix, and easy to to (8 screws to the besel, 6 screws for the top, slide the top off, remove the spring, drop the new spring in and put the screws back in, 5 minutes max unless you dont know where your phillips screwdriver is.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2023, 08:52:35 AM by The Fugitive »

Offline HL117

• Nickel Member
      • Aircams
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2023, 09:11:07 AM »
Thanks Fugi,

After SIK attached the link, I realized you guys went through this subject already, bad on me for not doing a search, thanks for the info, I was bummed when I started using it and realized it was not going to work out, such a cool stick, will try the spring, been taking stuff apart my whole life... :lol,  I do like the idea of a Virple tunable base though.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2023, 09:20:11 AM »
Thanks Fugi,

After SIK attached the link, I realized you guys went through this subject already, bad on me for not doing a search, thanks for the info, I was bummed when I started using it and realized it was not going to work out, such a cool stick, will try the spring, been taking stuff apart my whole life... :lol,  I do like the idea of a Virple tunable base though.

I agree with ya. Id love to get some top of the line controls and the Virple sounds good, but Aces is the only flight game I play and the Warthog is about the most money Im willing to invest unless Hitech comes back with a vengeance to work on the game.

Good luck! Keep us posted on how things work out.